~~Official AR Glasses (Rokid Max, Nreal Air, etc.) Thread ~~

Rev

Sorry guys I don't get notifications for d1p anymore. I received my Rokid Max a couple days ago and I've been loving them. There are a couple small issues with them though:

The nose guards suck. They make it so the alignment of the screen is a little off for most people and with the larger size FOV the bottom corners of the screen get cut off for most people. I just removed the nose guard completely though and I think they're still super comfortable. Other people are bending the nose guard so that it works without messing up the alignment:

The other drawback is that they have a blue light filter enabled that cannot be turned off. I don't notice it at all but a few other people said they didn't like it. The developer mentioned there might be a firmware update soon to make it optional. 

Anyway, I had the nreal air before this and I've used it almost every single day since I bought it a few months ago so I bought this right away. I can already tell they're significantly better and I absolutely love them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the earlier harassing on impression and appreciate your post. . . .but I gotta know more. Have you tried anything in the 120hrz mode? Have you tried anything in 3D? 

Also @Nokra you gotta let us know when you get your shipping notice. I shouldn’t be too far behind you on a notice and I believe you and me are both GTA/GHA area

43 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Sorry for the earlier harassing on impression and appreciate your post. . . .but I gotta know more. Have you tried anything in the 120hrz mode? Have you tried anything in 3D? 

Also @Nokra you gotta let us know when you get your shipping notice. I shouldn’t be too far behind you on a notice and I believe you and me are both GTA/GHA area

I have to admit I haven't heard of the "GTA/GHA area" and when I googled it, "greater Toronto area" came up. If that's what you mean, I'm actually in Portland, Oregon in the US, so I'd bet we're in different shipping zones for them. 

Regardless, I'll definitely post when I get a shipping notice, and certainly give some impressions once I receive them! No news so far though. 

@Rev do you remember how long it was between ordering and shipping? 

23 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I have to admit I haven't heard of the "GTA/GHA area" and when I googled it, "greater Toronto area" came up. If that's what you mean, I'm actually in Portland, Oregon in the US, so I'd bet we're in different shipping zones for them. 

Regardless, I'll definitely post when I get a shipping notice, and certainly give some impressions once I receive them! No news so far though. 

Sorry for that. I think my brain confused you (for some reason) I believe with Brick. I won’t @ him because I don’t wanna be wrong twice in one night 

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

Lol np I did try the 120hz mode for a bit in Citra and it was pretty impressive. It does get a little warmer though. It's hard to find good applications for the 120hz on the glasses since the steam deck can't easily push that much. Good for high end phones but most phone games won't push 120hz either. 

I've been playing LBTW a bunch on Citra in 3d and it's amazing imo. I love it. 

2 hours ago, Nokra said:

I pre-ordered mine like 2 months ago so I waited for a long time but if you order now, it shouldn't be too long since you're in the US. Europe is getting shafted right now and still hasn't gotten shipments but the US is getting them really fast now from what I've gathered on the Discord. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

Sorry for that. I think my brain confused you (for some reason) I believe with Brick. I won’t @ him because I don’t wanna be wrong twice in one night 

All good. :D unfortunately I've never been to Toronto but it's on the list! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Hey @Nokra Have you checked your email lately for your Rokid’s shipping out soon?

I just got my notice a hour ago :)

Nothing yet. :(  I added basically all of the accessories (wireless adapter, HDMI adapter, Rokid hub) and I'd read from others on Reddit that this may cause it to be shipped out a bit slower. 

@silentbob did you get any of these adapters with yours?

10 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Nothing yet. :(  I added basically all of the accessories (wireless adapter, HDMI adapter, Rokid hub) and I'd read from others on Reddit that this may cause it to be shipped out a bit slower. 

@silentbob did you get any of these adapters with yours?

I bought everything that you bought too. I would think a notice should be coming your way soon. Especially since you order them a day or 2 ahead of me

• Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I bought everything that you bought too. I would think a notice should be coming your way soon. Especially since you order them a day or 2 ahead of me

sZenNiL.gif

:p 

That's awesome though, good news, thank you. Will definitely be interested in hearing your impressions when you get them. I also noticed in the email that they said we might be responsible for additional import fees. Here's hoping that isn't the case though. 

FYI, I moved our posts out of the Final Fantasy thread and into this one because I think this is probably where you meant to post, right? This is the thread where we'd previously discussed the Rokid glasses, anyway....

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Nokra said:

sZenNiL.gif

That's awesome though, good news, thank you. Will definitely be interested in hearing your impressions when you get them. I also noticed in the email that they said we might be responsible for additional import fees. Here's hoping that isn't the case though. 

FYI, I moved our posts out of the Final Fantasy thread and into this one because I think this is probably where you meant to post, right? This is the thread where we'd previously discussed the Rokid glasses, anyway....

Hope you get yours soon, I’m expecting mine two weeks from when yours ships :P

I also got all adapters for this one!

• Like 2

The 3D on nreal literally blows my mind to the point I have a hard time going to bed at a decent time just trying out different content. Right now I’m on a 3d gamecube/wii spree. I’m so excited to see it even bigger and brighter I can barely imagine how cool it will be.

• Like 2

There are people who took over 3d vision support after nvidia dropped it too, so I gotta figure that all out when I get the rokid. Should be able to play most games in 3D. This tech also seems to have a lot less issues than old 3d like as far as ghosting of which there seems to be none.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

The 3D on nreal literally blows my mind to the point I have a hard time going to bed at a decent time just trying out different content. Right now I’m on a 3d gamecube/wii spree. I’m so excited to see it even bigger and brighter I can barely imagine how cool it will be.

Did you already post your setup for this 3D content? I mean, what device(s) and software you're running to make it happen? Sounds like maybe you're using an emulator and running Gamecube and Wii games off of your PC? Do you have a link to the post, if so, and if not would you mind sharing?

I don't own any 3D movies, for example, and the Rokid Max site's only mention of 3D is "2D/3D Switching - Watch 3D movies wherever you like". I guess this is new-ish tech so it will probably be somewhat janky, but I'm excited to give it a try!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nokra said:

sZenNiL.gif

*laughing at the gif*

yeah I will more then likely get dinged another $50-70 in import fees. I think my SteamDeck was an extra $54 and UPS gave me an e-mail notice for which I could pay it online and they could process my shipment faster. I’ll try and give impressions when they arrive. Gotta figure out how to get the 3D for my SteamDeck gaming going, and so I might be looking for help there. I’m hoping that my Oppo 203 will somehow work with these for my 3D collection, because I think I can set the 3D for SBS. Plus some Series X and PS5 in 120hrz should be cool 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Did you already post your setup for this 3D content? I mean, what device(s) and software you're running to make it happen? Sounds like maybe you're using an emulator and running Gamecube and Wii games off of your PC? Do you have a link to the post, if so, and if not would you mind sharing?

I don't own any 3D movies, for example, and the Rokid Max site's only mention of 3D is "2D/3D Switching - Watch 3D movies wherever you like". I guess this is new-ish tech so it will probably be somewhat janky, but I'm excited to give it a try!

I find it easiest to start with citra on steam deck since I do have instructions for that: 

Also normally I think 3DS would be harder because of its layout but someone did that for us:

From there I just applied the same concepts for a couple native sbs pc games (shadow of tomb raider/sonic generarions) and Dolphin and the deck Virtual Boy emulator. But I can certainly assist with those if you have trouble. And I’ll be better able to say after I get the rokid. Then i’m going to figure out playing videos and pc games too.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I was order #6055.

IIRC though you're in Canada, correct? I'm in the US (Portland, OR). Maybe the import requirements are lower for Canada vs. the US, thus why your order shipped first? 

Knowing that they sent yours just makes me more anxious to get mine. :lol:

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

IIRC though you're in Canada, correct? I'm in the US (Portland, OR). Maybe the import requirements are lower for Canada vs. the US, thus why your order shipped first? 

Knowing that they sent yours just makes me more anxious to get mine. :lol:

I thought they had some stateside in a small warehouse and were shipping from there. If they’re coming from overseas, I hope they use whoever Amazon Japan uses because they’re fast as fuck on my 4K/3D disc purchases for my marvel films. 

shipping updated with an actual place of shipment included. They are coming in from Hong Kong

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I guess this is the thread that gets me to spend money on niche electronics I can barely afford… order #6889 :blush:

3Eo2RLd.gif

Awesome! :mdancing:

They seem to be taking quite a while to ship these out still, so you'll have some time to get more impressions from average users (including silentbob and myself) and can cancel if they don't live up to the hype. I believe I read somewhere you also have 15 days from receipt to try them out, though it may be somewhat challenging working with their customer service people. 

Yeah and full disclaimer I have not tried rokid myself so all my impressions are only based off nreal. This should be the same but better but just want to be clear about that in case i hate these or something somehow lol

I trust Rev’s impressions though and bet they are amazing 

Still no shipment notice on my Rokid Max glasses, but I continue to torture myself by looking at others' impressions. 

This guy had very positive things to say about them:

@silentbob I'm curious, how long is the estimate until delivery for you? Wondering how long the shipment time from China is. 

6 hours ago, Nokra said:

Still no shipment notice on my Rokid Max glasses, but I continue to torture myself by looking at others' impressions. 

This guy had very positive things to say about them:

@silentbob I'm curious, how long is the estimate until delivery for you? Wondering how long the shipment time from China is. 

said 10-15 business days once shipped. So far, they have only created the label for pickup :( Been the same status since I got my e-mail notice on the 8th.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

said 10-15 business days once shipped. So far, they have only created the label for pickup :( Been the same status since I got my e-mail notice on the 8th.

Yeahh Im not expecting mine for like a month lol - I’m not worried or anything though as it’s expected to take a bit with a product like this that just released after a large pre order crowdsourcing campaign.

Sometimes these things since they might be shipping from China or something will just not update shilling for a bit as they go through some random smaller carriers then update right at the end or even just show up. Could be going through customs too.

• Halal 1

In the meantime I continue my gamecube/wii 3D deep dive. Some ones that were really cool and worked great in 3D  last night: SSX Tricky, Hulk Ultimate, Soul Caliber 2 (Link!), ExtremeG 3, Tony Hawk 3, and Wario World.

One game I tried that has weird rendering that doesn’t seem to work well in 3D is Wave Race GC which seems to do something weird like use 2D images for reflections or something. But it’s crazy how many of these just work perfectly in 3D out of the box. I think it’s because they have a lot less post processing and shaders than modern games. I expect that when I move to regular pc games they will require more tweaking. Like Shadow of the Tombraider which supports native SBS even, I had to turn off the ray traced shadows because they didn’t seem to render right in 3D.

The other game(s) I couldn’t working right yet are Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 and that’s because I can’t get them running 3D or not without crashing, I’ll need to figure those two out. Before it crashes, that Death Star level in RS2 looks fucking amazing in 3D.

One thing to keep in mind is unlike 3DS where you can kinda set it and forget it, 3D strength varies wildly with GC/Wii games since it’s just globally forcing it. You can always get a good 3D effect it’s just that some games end up defaulting the effect so strong you need to tone it down. You can set profiles per game though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeahh Im not expecting mine for like a month lol - I’m not worried or anything though as it’s expected to take a bit with a product like this that just released after a large pre order crowdsourcing campaign.

Sometimes these things since they might be shipping from China or something will just not update shilling for a bit as they go through some random smaller carriers then update right at the end or even just show up. Could be going through customs too.

Yeah this is kind of what I'm hoping for (that it will just show up or update suddenly to be far along in the shipping process), especially since my order number was lower than silentbob's. Probably just setting myself up for disappointment though. :lol:

• Haha 2

Ok everyone, they arrived and boy are they sharp. I haven’t done much with them yet but here are a few of my observations so far. Oh, and I was dinged another $109 in custom fees 

• picture quality and colours are beautiful on these guys. Slight yellow tinge with wifi adaptor for wireless mirroring from ipad
  • sound was pretty clean and clear, maybe want them a tiny bit louder
  • nose piece is a bit tight on my nose and will probably try the other one provided
  • edges did occasionally get a slight bit out of focus/also went crossed eye slightly (could be tiredness)
  • wifi adaptor/power bank doesn’t allow iPad/iPhone to use wifi at same time when directly connected for mirroring. If I wanna use wifi I have it to connect to my wifi router (from what I saw in an online video, but will figure out soon)
  • slight lag in wifi mirroring
  • switch needs power to the system with adaptor to play switch system, can’t just go straight connection from system to glasses. Plus you gotta disconnect the controllers because it thinks it’s in dock mode (unless I’m doing something wrong)

So as I’m writing this I left the glasses with my sister to try out with her Switch system. She just finished her last day of her job and thought she could relax with these for a bit. She was impressed and thought it looked great even while wearing her prescription glasses. Now what I might try before bed is the HDMI adaptor with my Oppo 203. My Oppo auto detects 3D displays and can provide SBS viewing. So fingers crossed that I can get it to work. 

so more to come soon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Ok everyone, they arrived and boy are they sharp. I haven’t done much with them yet but here are a few of my observations so far. Oh, and I was dinged another $109 in custom fees 

• picture quality and colours are beautiful on these guys. Slight yellow tinge with wifi adaptor for wireless mirroring from ipad
  • sound was pretty clean and clear, maybe want them a tiny bit louder
  • nose piece is a bit tight on my nose and will probably try the other one provided
  • edges did occasionally get a slight bit out of focus/also went crossed eye slightly (could be tiredness)
  • wifi adaptor/power bank doesn’t allow iPad/iPhone to use wifi at same time when directly connected for mirroring. If I wanna use wifi I have it to connect to my wifi router (from what I saw in an online video, but will figure out soon)
  • slight lag in wifi mirroring
  • switch needs power to the system with adaptor to play switch system, can’t just go straight connection from system to glasses. Plus you gotta disconnect the controllers because it thinks it’s in dock mode (unless I’m doing something wrong)

So as I’m writing this I left the glasses with my sister to try out with her Switch system. She just finished her last day of her job and thought she could relax with these for a bit. She was impressed and thought it looked great even while wearing her prescription glasses. Now what I might try before bed is the HDMI adaptor with my Oppo 203. My Oppo auto detects 3D displays and can provide SBS viewing. So fingers crossed that I can get it to work. 

so more to come soon

Thanks for posting some impressions; that's generally all great news!

Re: the lack of sharpness in the edges: Is it bad enough that you can't read text? 

Just out of curiosity; When you originally placed your order and you got their confirmation email, did you send any email back? The wording of their order confirmation email was kind of strange, IMO, as if they were expecting you to once again confirm your address. If I find out that they haven't shipped my glasses because they're waiting on me to confirm my address yet again, I'm going to be pissed. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

Thanks for posting some impressions; that's generally all great news!

Re: the lack of sharpness in the edges: Is it bad enough that you can't read text? 

Just out of curiosity; When you originally placed your order and you got their confirmation email, did you send any email back? The wording of their order confirmation email was kind of strange, IMO, as if they were expecting you to once again confirm your address. If I find out that they haven't shipped my glasses because they're waiting on me to confirm my address yet again, I'm going to be pissed. :lol:

This happened maybe 20-30min after wearing the glasses. I will need to try the swapped piece to y see if they a)wear comfier and b) fixes my blurry right side image. Yeah the text on the very edge was just out of focus when I opened up my Decks interface option on the right side of the screen. Plus no I never sent them a confirmation email (just checked to make sure) I only confirmed my address with the initial order itself

Sister had the glasses for over an hour and said they were pretty awesome to play with, and claimed she even seem to play better 

edit note: No on my Oppo working. No display coming up but I wonder with my PS3/360 and Arkham City’s 3D gameplay.

tried some Halo and man it’s cool but disorienting a bit. Didn’t help that I had lag in my fiesta play, plus deck controller layout isn’t as good as a Xbox layout. So no 120hrz mode working here yet, but I should hopefully have a few days off to play around with them

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1