And He's Gone!

defaultPromoCrop.png
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Mr. Licht had a turbulent tenure that lasted slightly more than a year.

Chris Licht, the former television producer who oversaw a brief and chaotic tenure as the chairman of CNN, is out at the network, according to a person briefed on the decision.

Mr. Licht’s 13-month run at CNN was marked by one controversy after another, culminating in his exit earlier this week. He got off to a bumpy start even before he had officially started when he oversaw the shuttering of the pricey CNN+ streaming service at the request of its network’s new owners, who were skeptical about a stand-alone digital product. The cuts resulted in scores of layoffs.

Warner Bros. Discovery, CNN’s parent company, did not respond to a request for comment.

26 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

There was an atlantic article a week ago that came out on him that wasn't pretty, and speculation was that it was going to lead to him getting axed.

The article itself:

original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

CEO Chris Licht felt he was on a mission to restore the network’s reputation for serious journalism. How did it all go wrong?

TIL that Ted Turner is still alive:

turner.jpg
WWW.THEWRAP.COM

"When I look at CNN today, I cry for Ted Turner because he's really unhappy," Turner biographer Porter Bibb told Fox News Digital

Also, it's amazing to me that Licht was the producer and (I think) show runner for The Late Show with Steven Colbert prior to his tenure at CNN. Colbert even had a send-off episode for him lol

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Kamusha said:

CNN has lost so much of its audience in recent months and I don’t see many returning. Who would trust their anchors again after they’ve shown they’re more beholden to a paycheck than journalistic integrity?

Are you suggesting there isn't a mass audience for getting lectured by a Vanderbilt? 

8 hours ago, Kamusha said:

CNN has lost so much of its audience in recent months and I don’t see many returning. Who would trust their anchors again after they’ve shown they’re more beholden to a paycheck than journalistic integrity?

Their credibilty as a "just the facts" news channel is literally the ONE thing they had going for them. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Their credibilty as a "just the facts" news channel is literally the ONE thing they had going for them. 

I should clarify that I mean perceived credibility. CNN is corporate owned and I already had many issues but someone like Anderson Cooper was someone that was trusted by many. In divided times most people were okay with Cooper and now he won’t be viewed the same ever again.

• Halal 1