Killers of the Flower Moon trailer - Scorcese/DiCaprio crime drama about 1920s murders of Osage tribe members following oil discovery on their land, update: reviews from Cannes posted

12 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I won't presume to speak for someone who is of the heritage being depicted, if she felt a certain way about it, fair enough. I do have to say, having seen this in IMAX on Sunday, there's one scene in particular that has stuck w/ me, & that is of the opening. Seeing the elders have to almost essentially have a funeral for "the way things have always been" on the precipice of their future being wiped out by whites, that ceremony & allowance of time in which to mourn such a tragedy, even now as I write it, I'm moved to tears.

To be fair, Marty himself said that initially it would have been through the eyes of Leo in the role of Plemmons' character, pivoting it to make it about all that Molly went through & seen through the lens of her & Ernest's ... tragic love, that was the best way to go about telling it in my opinion. Now, as for pacing, don't believe what many of the reviewers have said, I know I looked at my watch at both the 1/3 & 2/3 portions of the film.

Hide contents

When Jesse shows up, it's almost exactly 2/3'rds of the way through.

I was thinking about that alternate reality where this story focuses on the federal agent that comes in to save the day and how difficult it would to keep that perspective from becoming a white savior story. Whatever criticisms one might have of the final product, I feel pretty strongly that it's not that.

• 1 month later...