AMD needs to stop packaging these coolers with their CPUs.

Or at least do some quality control on them, cause I was getting temp spikes just browsing and opening programs, like mid 60s, so the fans would roar to life and I suspect this has something to do with it.

PXL_20230410_193622467.jpg 

I don't understand how they don't spend a few pennies more and make sure their mating surface doesn't have giant canyons on it, this is what was left after wiping it flat.  Did some searching and I guess this is an old issue and not some one off defect that I ended up with.  Here is a pic right after I removed the cooler from the CPU.

PXL_20230410_190013088.jpg

Now it never throttled as I never saw it go above 81 degrees but with a scythe Mugen 5 in it I haven't really seen temps above 60.

• Shocked 1

The weird part is they seem to actually be trying with these coolers, only to completely destroy their efforts through not making a decent mating surface.  Its not like i was overclocking or doing anything CPU intensive as games seem to barely tap into it, and i chose the R9 7900 because of its low power and heat only to see crazy numbers like that was a bit disappointing.

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB CPU Air Cooler, 6 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler, Dual 120mm TL-C12C-S PWM Fan, Aluminium Heatsink Cover, AGHP Technology, for AMD AM4 AM5/Intel 1700/1150/1151/1200 https://a.co/d/5INDUHi

This cooler is super popular and not too expensive. Those weird grooves on (what I assume is) the prism wraith cooler would make me say “F no” to continuing to use it, but you can try reapplying thermal paste before making a $40 purchase. 
BTW, there’s a non-RGB version if you prefer, but the price difference $1.

EDIT: NVM, just saw you already switched coolers, I missed that last sentence on first read :p

18 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

All their stock coolers are like that. They're basically only good enough for 85W operation, and with their 7000 chips they are designed to boost all the way up to 95 C.

That could be cope though. I recall them saying the 100+ C JT was within parameters before walking it back.

I initially went for an AIO because I like that extra bit of cooling vs air and maybe I'm not stressing my CPU enough but I don't recall it hitting 95C.

Ultimately I just don't want my hardware to thermal throttle.