Sony is rolling out without any explanation some access to games you bought years ago…

Paperclyp

So I know recently it came to light that some of the PSN classics were now available to purchase just like any other game (as opposed to just being tied to your subscription to whatever they call their highest tier).

However, I am looking right now and some PS1 games that I bought on PS3 are freely downloadable to me, which absolutely was not the case in the past. It’s not universal, but Wild Arms 1-2 and Legend of the Dragoon are downloadable, say “purchased” and I can actually play them. But, for example, I bought jak and daxter on PS3 and that one does not work. 

This is all very strange. 

• Haha 1

I want Devil Dice so bad. That game the wife and I played all the time and it was so much fun. I don't care if I had to buy again or what ever, I just want that game to play anytime I want. I have it on my retro arcade mame system along with 40,000 others but it's not the same. Some games still hold so much nostalgia why is it that there not all available to rebuy and play on the ps4 or 5, can't be hard to emplimate some kind of backward compatibility right? I don't know how it all works but I want it and a hand full of others. I did manage to out of nowhere see I could download Intelligent Cube another huge favorite of mine way back in the PS1 days. I'd love a Metal Gear Solid 1 available also. 

3 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I want Devil Dice so bad. That game the wife and I played all the time and it was so much fun. I don't care if I had to buy again or what ever, I just want that game to play anytime I want. I have it on my retro arcade mame system along with 40,000 others but it's not the same. Some games still hold so much nostalgia why is it that there not all available to rebuy and play on the ps4 or 5, can't be hard to emplimate some kind of backward compatibility right? I don't know how it all works but I want it and a hand full of others. I did manage to out of nowhere see I could download Intelligent Cube another huge favorite of mine way back in the PS1 days. I'd love a Metal Gear Solid 1 available also. 

Devil Dice and Intelligent Qube are pretty nice deck games.

34 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I’ll have a look at this - I’d quite like to play FF9, but I don’t fancy plugging in my PS3 to do so. 

To be clear, this is only games they have released on their premium service (FF9 has not been) and it is not universal. I suspect it is related to licensing or legal shit of some kind. 

18 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

So I know recently it came to light that some of the PSN classics were now available to purchase just like any other game (as opposed to just being tied to your subscription to whatever they call their highest tier).

However, I am looking right now and some PS1 games that I bought on PS3 are freely downloadable to me, which absolutely was not the case in the past. It’s not universal, but Wild Arms 1-2 and Legend of the Dragoon are downloadable, say “purchased” and I can actually play them. But, for example, I bought jak and daxter on PS3 and that one does not work. 

This is all very strange. 

8 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I’ll have a look at this - I’d quite like to play FF9, but I don’t fancy plugging in my PS3 to do so. 

They explained this ages ago, but I can see how it can be missed if you don't connect the two: it's part of the new PS Plus.

When a game is added to the PS Plus Classics collections, it can be bought individually. If you already bought the game on a PS3, then you have access to it on your PS5 as well. You don't need PS Plus to be able to do this, either -- if you bought them individually, you have them on PS5.

It's great; the more PS1 games added to the streaming service, the more backwards compatible games there are.

EDIT: Discussed in this thread:

"Also, players who have previously purchased the digital version of select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. When these titles are released for PS4 and PS5, players can head to PlayStation Store and download a version for the consoles at no extra cost if they already own the digital version of the title. Some of the titles will also be available for individual purchase. "

EDIT 2: Dude, you were IN THAT THREAD and I explained it to you specifically! :p 

• Haha 1

@SaysWho? 

I 100 percent forgot BUT, I bought Jak on PS3 and I can’t get it on PS5. I’m sure there are weird version differences that cause this to happen. 

But mostly yes I am a moron. 

Although, I think Jak not being available to me vindicates me to some degree from our prior conversation. I bought it, should be mine to play per your explanation in the past, and it is not. 

59 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

@SaysWho? 

I 100 percent forgot BUT, I bought Jak on PS3 and I can’t get it on PS5. I’m sure there are weird version differences that cause this to happen. 

But mostly yes I am a moron. 

Although, I think Jak not being available to me vindicates me to some degree from our prior conversation. I bought it, should be mine to play per your explanation in the past, and it is not. 

PS1 and PSP were mentioned, not 2.

Should be all of them as added, but this isn’t a contradiction. Though I have Jak on ps4, which…. I THINK should work on my 5. Kind of weird 3 would be treated differently.

48 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

PS1 and PSP were mentioned, not 2.

Should be all of them as added, but this isn’t a contradiction. Though I have Jak on ps4, which…. I THINK should work on my 5. Kind of weird 3 would be treated differently.

They did some weird stuff from PS3 to PS4, maybe because the tech was so unique on the 3. 

Like, the PS5 feels like a PS4 on steroids, whereas the PS4 felt like it was made by a different company than the company that made the ps3.

9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

They did some weird stuff from PS3 to PS4, maybe because the tech was so unique on the 3. 

Like, the PS5 feels like a PS4 on steroids, whereas the PS4 felt like it was made by a different company than the company that made the ps3.

PS3's tech was bonkers, which is why it's so much harder to get right, though I feel if it recognizes you bought Jak on PS3, it should recognize that license for PS4; it's not like the version I have is a remake.

Otherwise, at least this explains your PS1 questions! It's definitely great progress.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:11 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Devil Dice and Intelligent Qube are pretty nice deck games.

How are you playing Devil Dice on this? I can't find it anywhere? I've looked, there is a sequel but that's not what I want at all. I want Devil Dice. Please explain where you were able to download it from plz sir?

6 hours ago, HardAct said:

How are you playing Devil Dice on this? I can't find it anywhere? I've looked, there is a sequel but that's not what I want at all. I want Devil Dice. Please explain where you were able to download it from plz sir?

There's an organization that has an archive of all the old Playstation games. Perhaps you should seek it out on google.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There's an organization that has an archive of all the old Playstation games. Perhaps you should seek it out on google.

An organization huh, I wasn't talking emulation here. I thought you had it on Playstation somehow like PSN classics, etc. That's where I got Intelligent Cube last week. A much loved game back in the day and was fun to see it available on my PS5. I have an Arcade system bartop with every damned system & game under the sun {Supposedly over 40,000} and in there is Devil Dice. I was just under the impression maybe sony had released it under some category I was missing. Again like Intelligent Cube and games in that time period. I don't want to Emulate on my Steam deck. I know it can be amazing it's just not what I use it for. Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated. The Organization can stand down . . . lol