The Importance of Fixing Black Hairstyles in Video Games

Keyser_Soze

Relatedly, a group of 3D artists is working on a project that will hopefully gain traction in the game development community.

1641492959961-untitled-design-4.png?imag
WWW.VICE.COM

The Open Source Afro Hair Library, slated to launch on Juneteenth 2023, will be the gaming world’s first free database of 3D-modeled Black hairstyles.

Last year, Oakland-based artist and UC Santa Cruz assistant professor A.M. Darke had had enough. She started recruiting Black artists for the Open Source Afro Hair Library, the industry’s first free database of 3D-modeled Black hairstyles. The library, slated to launch on Juneteenth 2023, will function as a source for usable 3D assets for gaming, animation, and other ventures as well as an online gallery to inspire and normalize Black inclusion.

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

37 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The afros and curls are usually too tight to make myself so that's why I usually go @Phaseknox style these days and just make some woman.

You’re not fooling anyone, we all know the real reason why you choose to play as female characters is the same as the rest of us - to stare at those nice tight behinds. :]

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

I’ve never found a game with hair that quite matched mine, and it’s even more difficult for my kids who have hair with features of all three ethnic groups they come from. Nice to see improvements though.