Anybody do bird watching?

Anathema-

We got some feeders for the back recently and it's just been amazing the birds we've seen and all their little personalities. 

Cardinals are of course one of our most watched for. The males are extremely cautious but the females seem to come as often as anything else. It's quite an event to catch a male Cardinal come down to take food directly. 

The tufted titmouse is probably my favorite. Got a proud little crest but the coloring isn't outlandish. They're cautious too but it's like they're testing how comfortable they can be. Dashing down for a piece of food then off right away instead of hanging around until they're comfortable now we see them hanging out a lot. We even only thought there was one at first, then two. We saw a third one today so they're getting really comfortable coming out. 

There's a group of Carolina bluebirds that seem the most comfortable around us.  They came out to eat while we were on the deck tonight and even seemed to be a little playful with us. They were the ones who learned how to knock on the window for more food or to alert us to some squirrels. 

We had a small pack of starlings come through and they were simultaneously amazing and annoying.  Bigger than any other bird individually (except maybe the woodpecker) but moved in synchronized pairs. We had two then four. It was fascinating seeing how they worked unerringly together even though they ate up so much of the food. I'm glad they're gone. 

There are some blue jays that come around sometimes too but they're just big jerks like the starlings, just not as big or as good at what they do. I think the starlings might have scared them off for now, I hope they come back. 

There's also a small group of finches and a couple chickadees. The chickadees are really friendly and cheerful, love those little guys. Like they just exist to look cute and say hello. 

And today we saw, no shit, a mourning dove. The only thing I'll say is that it was incredibly meaningful to us. 

All in all it's been a pretty full first month of bird watching. Anyone else get into it at all?

lmao a starling was back just a little earlier but on its own.  It still crowded out a bunch of other little birdies even by itself. One of the white breasted nut hatches got in an aggro position, spreading his wings like a jet fighter and started prancing. The starling took off and hasn't been back. 

At an old job the safety manager was an avid bird watcher and photographer and would start every safety meeting with a picture and tale of the bird which was being displayed. This was far more interesting than the safety meeting itself. 

as for me, I have a couple bird feeders that I try to keep full and get to see quite a few birds from. I plan on planting some native plants to attract native bugs (and thus also predators like birds) so I’m hoping I get to see more. 

I did also get my dad and step mom a bird feeder with a camera to take pictures of birds as they feed. It’s pretty cool!

• Halal 1