Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden | ARPG for PC/PS5/Xbox Series | Developed by DONTNOD - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ok didn’t realize there was a newer build of Special K that has a hdr10 layer that even lets you keep dlss3 on. So that fucking rules. HDR is working now and I’ll get to use frame gen and keep dlaa. Looks great.

This isn't exactly the prettiest game on the deck. I played an hour and a half. By no means does it look bad, but I've seen better. 

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

This isn't exactly the prettiest game on the deck. I played an hour and a half. By no means does it look bad, but I've seen better. 

Yeah I mean it looks fine, I was surprised to see you can get it looking as good as it does at 40fps. UE5 is ruff. You still are within your time to refund and just play the other version!

42 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I mean it looks fine, I was surprised to see you can get it looking as good as it does at 40fps. UE5 is ruff. You still are within your time to refund and just play the other version!

No it's still fine. I can't tell you how much I prefer gaming on the deck in my bed. I actually don't really enjoy playing on my big screen anymore. I can only do it for like an hour. Where as on the deck I just played 3 hours and I didn't even notice the time go by. 

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

@Xbob42 Have you played yet?

@stepee When are you starting this?

Whenever I finish Suicide Squad! I’m about half way through it I think but i’m doing a lot of side stuff. Playing a bit of the opening of this, I actually didn’t realize exactly how much it is a sequel to Vampyr, on a game design level. So I’m very very pumped.

• Hype 1

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

Whenever I finish Suicide Squad! I’m about half way through it I think but i’m doing a lot of side stuff. Playing a bit of the opening of this, I actually didn’t realize exactly how much it is a sequel to Vampyr, on a game design level. So I’m very very pumped.

I played 2 hours this morning and I'm about to play more now. I'll surpass where I was on xsx now. 

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee I got to admit, I'm really disappointed in how this looks. I fired up other games just to compare and it's by far the worst looking game on my deck. I'm still keeping it but fuck me. 

What are your settings? I would switch from FSR to TAA if you haven’t since fsr looks like shit. I also bumped textures and post processing to medium and I think everything else to low and set internal res to 70 then capped to 40fps. It looks okay - but yeah it’s more impressive that it runs at all considering the geometric detail can only be toned down so much and the engine it’s on is designed for current gen - but on its own there are many better looking games to play on deck. 

Also I had to put the gamma level at like 20 for it to look right on the deck display.

Edit: I haven’t messed around much but it might also be best to lock to 30fps and just see how high you can push it at 30fps instead of going for 40.

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

What are your settings? I would switch from FSR to TAA if you haven’t since fsr looks like shit. I also bumped textures and post processing to medium and I think everything else to low and set internal res to 70 then capped to 40fps. It looks okay - but yeah it’s more impressive that it runs at all considering the geometric detail can only be toned down so much and the engine it’s on is designed for current gen - but on its own there are many better looking games to play on deck. 

Also I had to put the gamma level at like 20 for it to look right on the deck display.

Edit: I haven’t messed around much but it might also be best to lock to 30fps and just see how high you can push it at 30fps instead of going for 40.

I definitely messed with the settings. I put everything to high, medium, then the default to low. It struggles on medium so I went back to low. 

I didn't adjust FSR to TAA or put internal res to 70. I'll check that put soon. I mean it's playable but even when I play DD that looks better lol. 

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I definitely messed with the settings. I put everything to high, medium, then the default to low. It struggles on medium so I went back to low. 

I didn't adjust FSR to TAA or put internal res to 70. I'll check that put soon. I mean it's playable but even when I play DD that looks better lol. 

Honestly I think the biggest issue with the game in general is just its contrast. Beyond that, FSR is by far the most important thing to turn off imo. That looks like shit on UE5 I find. Just awful image quality. Doing that alone should make it look better. 

Try using the medium preset, 30fps cap, actually put the internal res to 100 so it’s native, but change it to full screen at 1152x720 resolution - and then reboot the game as some settings need a reboot to kick in. Pretty much looks the same when set like that as on anything else, albeit at 30fps but that’s fine on handheld imo. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Honestly I think the biggest issue with the game in general is just its contrast. Beyond that, FSR is by far the most important thing to turn off imo. That looks like shit on UE5 I find. Just awful image quality. Doing that alone should make it look better. 

Try using the medium preset, 30fps cap, actually put the internal res to 100 so it’s native, but change it to full screen at 1152x720 resolution - and then reboot the game as some settings need a reboot to kick in. Pretty much looks the same when set like that as on anything else, albeit at 30fps but that’s fine on handheld imo. 

Nice. I'll do this now just to report back to you. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The highest resolution I can go to is 1280×800.

Unfortunately FSR was turned off and it was on TAA?

1152-720 is a lower resolution - it’s making the render resolution lower and then keeping the res scale at 100% so that it doesn’t introduce scaling artifacts because the TAA they are using seems to as well.

edit: And don’t forget the 30fps lock so it’s not juddering - if you have it set like that and at medium it should look generally the same as console

I would also experiment with the gamma setting and putting it lower (if the game looks too washed out) or higher (if the game looks too dark and garish) - That is my biggest issue with the games presentation. You can only do so much without 3rd party tools though and I am also using a vibrancy plugin on deck which helps (and SK on my desktop)

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

1152-720 is a lower resolution - it’s making the render resolution lower and then keeping the res scale at 100% so that it doesn’t introduce scaling artifacts because the TAA they are using seems to as well.

edit: And don’t forget the 30fps lock so it’s not juddering - if you have it set like that and at medium it should look generally the same as console

Well strangley enough I put everything at high settings and put the FPS at 90 lol. It looks so much fuckin better. Basically like it did on my XSX. 

But do you think I should put the FPS to 30? It's a bit stuttery where it's at now. 

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well strangley enough I put everything at high settings and put the FPS at 90 lol. It looks so much fuckin better. Basically like it did on my XSX. 

But do you think I should put the FPS to 30? It's a bit stuttery where it's at now. 

Where are you putting the lock - in the game settings or on the deck itself? I think best would be to put the lock on deck at 90 (no lock) and lock it in the game settings at 30fps

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Where are you putting the lock - in the game settings or on the deck itself? I think best would be to put the lock on deck at 90 (no lock) and lock it in the game settings at 30fps

Oh, I'm just putting the lock in game. Ok, I'll do that. 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Oh, I'm just putting the lock in game. Ok, I'll do that. 

Actually I was brain farting, in general I try to turn vsync off in the game and set the frame rate in game to unlimited or at least higher than what I want it set to; and then lock it to 30 on deck itself - that way it should properly frame triple to the 90hz display 

Just now, stepee said:

Actually I was brain farting, in general I try to turn vsync off in the game and set the frame rate in game to unlimited or at least higher than what I want it set to; and then lock it to 30 on deck itself - that way it should properly frame triple to the 90hz display 

I was JUST about to get on lol. I'll do this. 

Relying on the deck to do it this way, you should usually get an input latency that feels more like playing 60fps even though you are playing it at 30fps - so while the camera movement still blurs in the way it does at 30fps - the actual feel of the game should be much higher which is helpful in fast action games and stuff

53 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee Thanks to your help this is now one of the better looking games I own. The details are phenomenal now. This game is so cool and with the rifle combat is very fun. 

@Brian or @Mr.Vic20 have you been playing this?

I’m only 2 hours in, but will be putting in a few more hours tomorrow afternoon.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden | ARPG for PC/PS5/Xbox Series | Developed by DONTNOD - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Finally started this for realz last night, I did not realize that was part of the set up here!

That she dies early on and you play as her ghost

Very cool. I love this kind of haunted ghost investigation stuff. This is almost like this gen’s Vampyr AND Murdered Soul Suspect! With more GOW18 like combat. Good start.

42 minutes ago, stepee said:

Finally started this for realz last night, I did not realize that was part of the set up here!

Hide contents

That she dies early on and you play as her ghost

Very cool. I love this kind of haunted ghost investigation stuff. This is almost like this gen’s Vampyr AND Murdered Soul Suspect! With more GOW18 like combat. Good start.

Don't worry it stays good consistently. I'm still playing and about 10 hours in. 

• Halal 1

Besides the improvements to combat, tech, and overall production values the thing that stands out for me is that the writing is a lot less constantly dry than Vampyr. There is some subtle humor here and there to add some levity. While it’s still quite a grim tale thus far, Vampyr was all grim all the time. This lets itself breath a little more with the constant despair and it’s better for it and makes the characters more likeable. 

• Halal 2

Lots of environmental puzzles here that add to the Vampyr formula as well. The game overall is a lot more well rounded. I’m glad they added the gun as it helps keep the combat feeling more fresh along with the ghost actions. Some of these environments are really gorgeous too. I wasn’t too impressed with the opening but once you get out of the darkness/town you really appreciate all the micro detail everywhere.

• True 1

17 hours ago, stepee said:

Lots of environmental puzzles here that add to the Vampyr formula as well. The game overall is a lot more well rounded. I’m glad they added the gun as it helps keep the combat feeling more fresh along with the ghost actions. Some of these environments are really gorgeous too. I wasn’t too impressed with the opening but once you get out of the darkness/town you really appreciate all the micro detail everywhere.

You seem further in than me now. Glad I didn't hype this up too much and you're enjoying it!

When I heard GOW comparisons I was just thinking the combat, and while I can see maybe some influence there, I can just as much see an evolution of Vampy’s mechanics as well as just being its own thing.

Where I see the influence more is actually in the level design and the density of secrets/puzzles throughout the environments. Which is actually a nice surprise, as I did not expect that from this team.

Honestly, as much as Don’t Nod is easily one of my favorite developers, one with many strengths, I would not have thought they had the chops to do level design this intricate within a scope of this size. 

This is a really fucking great game. Don't Nod Don’t Miss.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

50 minutes ago, stepee said:

When I heard GOW comparisons I was just thinking the combat, and while I can see maybe some influence there, I can just as much see an evolution of Vampy’s mechanics as well as just being its own thing.

Where I see the influence more is actually in the level design and the density of secrets/puzzles throughout the environments. Which is actually a nice surprise, as I did not expect that from this team.

Honestly, as much as Don’t Nod is easily one of my favorite developers, one with many strengths, I would not have thought they had the chops to do level design this intricate within a scope of this size. 

This is a really fucking great game. Don't Nod Don’t Miss.

I hit a beautiful area tonight. I am forgetting the name but it's more lush and a little farm land. The story keeps this thing rolling and I make sure to loot everything for upgrades. It's a great game is right. I'll definitely stay with it because I have it on my deck. I play 2 hours a day. They said on easier difficulties it's about 20 hours. I'm about 11 hours in so I have got a ways to go.