PC Gaming Show: 2023 Preview - all trailers posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

Yeah, this actually occurred yesterday :p - here all of the trailers from the show.

Fear everything and nothing for death brings you closer to victory in this challenging open world action-roguelite. As the Vessel of an ancient power you must use steel and skill to complete your mission in a dangerous but beautiful fantasy world.

An open-world detective stealth game set in a fully simulated sci-fi noir city of crime and corruption. Think like a private investigator and take on jobs to earn cash on your path to catching a serial killer. If you don’t catch them - they will kill again…

Crossfire: Legion is a real time strategy game featuring tactical action in furious battles across a shattered version of the near future. Raise and customize your army to engage in intense online combat and carve your own path as you rise through the ranks. It’s a new generation of warfare.

Floodland is post-catastrophic survival city builder, set in the devastated wetlands of North America, after the world’s sea levels rise dramatically due to consequences of man-made climate change and the resulting chain of catastrophes, but we’re not going into spoiler territory just yet (suffice to say there was a thing called ‘The Event’ that saw the total disintegration of humanities electronics and communication systems. If you’re a science nerd you may have guessed what this was already)

Take the Infernal Throne in this hellish turn-based grand strategy game. The Prince of Darkness has vanished, leaving Archfiends to conspire: muster your legions while intoning dark sorceries, devilish schemes, and machiavellian plots. Who will be the new ruler of Hell and ascend the Throne?

An alien threat looms in a new comic book inspired Early Access Action RPG! Take on waves of grotesque minions with up to 4 friends in co-op, or go it alone and uncover a vast conspiracy that endangers all of humanity. Become a hero in a world where superpowers are controlled by society’s elite!

Trapped by a trans-dimensional experiment gone sideways, the greatest minds on the planet must explore, endure and – maybe – escape their secret facility alone or together, in this retro-styled, sci-fi paranormal survival-crafting adventure.

The Repair House is a repair and restoration game, where players experience the satisfaction of taking old and broken items and restoring them to their former glory. Items can be restored in a variety of different ways including replacing parts, sandblasting, cleaning, and painting.

Kerbal Space Program 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed space-flight simulation game Kerbal Space Program. Enter the next generation of space adventure with exciting new parts, stunning visuals, fully revamped UI and Map View, and rich new environments to explore.

Spoiler

Level Zero is an asymmetric survival horror PvP where a team of Scientists must repair the electrical systems to escape. Light is your weapon - use it wisely to collect loot & slow down the Monsters. As a Monster, use various telepathic abilities to counter the light and hunt down scientists.

Take back the city of Tertium from hordes of bloodthirsty foes in this intense and brutal action shooter. Warhammer 40,000: Darktide is the new co-op focused experience from the award-winning team behind the Vermintide series. As Tertium falls, Rejects Will Rise.

Begin your journey in the first classic computer roleplaying game set in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium. Become a Rogue Trader, a scion of an ancient dynasty of daring privateers that reign over their trade empire and explore the fringes of the Imperium’s frontier.

Play as a badass murder-kitty on a death-dealing hoverboard in Gori: Cuddly Carnage, a third-person ‘skate ‘n’ slash’ set in a neon-glowing futuristic world filled with intense destruction and fast-paced combat.

Indie publisher Wired Productions and solo developer Tomas Sala have shown off the bobbing blimp gameplay of upcoming city builder Bulwark. Surrounded by the ocean, and in a world filled with flying technology, you set out to build an, ahem, bulwark against the elements and enemies: a city that will eventually become a fortress, and a beacon of hope for your people.

Keep hope alive on your adventure to the mythical Forever Star! Gather survivors, repair and build out your starship, brave black holes, and fend off attacks, all while managing the daily soap opera of your colorful crew.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It would if it were 1993! :lol:

What in God's name is up with that graphical style?

I mean, it’s what you said, it looks like it’s a modern vision of a game from 93 lol

It obviously has tech beyond that era but it seems to be going for a specific style that is very Windows 95 which looks pleasant to me. I can get down with art styles like this, it seems like it’s pulling it off for me. 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I mean, it’s what you said, it looks like it’s a modern vision of a game from 93 lol

It obviously has tech beyond that era but it seems to be going for a specific style that is very Windows 95 which looks pleasant to me. I can get down with art styles like this, it seems like it’s pulling it off for me. 

Just seems lazy imo to go with a graphical style like that. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

But it also means it can work on just about any platform and probabvly costs a ton less to make. I know, I know, it doesn't change how it looks, but these are factors for developers none the less! :p

• True 2

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm often not a fan of deliberately retro art because it often feels like more of a slave to retro graphics rather than a style inspired by the aesthetic of the time (there are exceptions). However, I don't think you should call it "lazy." Even if the style choice is influenced by budgetary limitations, that still doesn't make what they're doing "lazy." The amount of work that is required to make *any* game, even incredibly simple ones, is profound and they're building a whole sim-based city environment.

• Halal 1

44 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm often not a fan of deliberately retro art because it often feels like more of a slave to retro graphics rather than a style inspired by the aesthetic of the time (there are exceptions). However, I don't think you should call it "lazy." Even if the style choice is influenced by budgetary limitations, that still doesn't make what they're doing "lazy."

One of the best exceptions in recently memory is Agent 64, out soon.  I normally hate games that go for PS1/N64 style aesthetic, and I'll even stray away from crt filters in emulated 2d games.  But playing the demo of this, somehow they nailed that N64 vibe perfectly with their filters.  And still use some modern lighting techniques.

Goldeneye as you remember it, not how it was.  It's fantastic.  I think I may even prefer it with the CRT filter on. :o

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

18 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm often not a fan of deliberately retro art because it often feels like more of a slave to retro graphics rather than a style inspired by the aesthetic of the time (there are exceptions). However, I don't think you should call it "lazy." Even if the style choice is influenced by budgetary limitations, that still doesn't make what they're doing "lazy." The amount of work that is required to make *any* game, even incredibly simple ones, is profound and they're building a whole sim-based city environment.

Good points. :cheers:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, legend said:

I actually think that “inspired by the aesthetic” is what the game in question is pulling off actually. There is obviously more modern lighting and better textures going on here but it’s all built to the look of a game that looks very Win95.

30 minutes ago, stepee said:

I actually think that “inspired by the aesthetic” is what the game in question is pulling off actually. There is obviously more modern lighting and better textures going on here but it’s all built to the look of a game that looks very Win95.

I think it does a better job than some others and the lighting and scale is certainly a massive step up. However, I think it's a little too pixeled in some of its textures. To the point, IMO, that it detracts from immediate clarity and communication of the object, and that, IMO, is an example of being more a slave to the graphics of the past, then being inspired by the aesthetic.

My current favorite un-released example of a game that does a great job at being inspired more than a slave to retro graphics is Sea of Stars.

While it's pixel art, everything feels very clear and technical improvements exist when it enhances the vibe or improves communication of the art. This game's art feels like what retro games wish they could have been, rather than being what retro games settled for.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, legend said:

I think it does a better job than some others and the lighting and scale is certainly a massive step up. However, I think it's a little too pixeled in some of its textures. To the point, IMO, that it detracts from immediate clarity and communication of the object, and that, IMO, is an example of being more a slave to the graphics of the past, then being inspired by the aesthetic.

My current favorite un-released example of a game that does a great job at being inspired more than a slave to retro graphics is Sea of Stars.

While it's pixel art, everything feels very clear and technical improvements exist when it enhances the vibe or improves communication of the art. This game's art feels like what retro games wish they could have been, rather than being what retro games settled for.

Yeah that is a good example of what you mean there so I understand it a little better. I think the pixelization is definitely an artistic choice here and it kinda works for me but I can see why it wouldn’t for some!

Either way, game seems like a great way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1