Canada to permanently remove interest on federal student loans, and introduce 2% tax on corporate stock buybacks

As part of the fall economic statement, Freeland announced the permanent interest relief:

cabinet-20221103.JPG
WWW.CBC.CA

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland tabled her fall economic statement Thursday — a roadmap of what's to come from the federal government as the economy stands on the brink of a recession.

And also introducing a new tax on stock buybacks to encourage companies to invest money in their business rather than only reward their own investors:

bank-sign-tsx-toronto-stocks.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

The federal government wants Canadian companies to spend more of their own money to invest in their businesses and help grow the economy, so it’s bringing in a new tax on corporations when they use their profits to buy back portions of their own shares on the stock market.

• Like 2

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Canada to permanently remove interest on federal student loans, and introduce 2% tax on corporate stock buybacks
18 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Homogeneous societies are safer. However we value diversity here. Let us know when Canada figures out capital markets. 

Immigrant population:

USA - 14%

Canada - 25%

Visible Minorities:

USA - 38-42%

Canada - 30%

I don't think you'd normally classify Canada as homogenous compared to the majority of the world's countries. Racial makeup is different than the US, but Canada is quite diverse, and in the same realm as the US. If you look at urban centres, Canada is just as diverse as the US, with caucasians being a minority in Vancouver, Toronto, etc. The US is more diverse overall, especially owing to the hispanic population, but it's not in a different order of magnitude and I think you may have a very outdated image of Canada's racial makeup. And the trend is only accelerating, with Canada taking in many more immigrants (and racialized immigrants) per capita than the US. 

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Immigrant population:

USA - 14%

Canada - 25%

Visible Minorities:

USA - 38-42%

Canada - 30%

I don't think you'd normally classify Canada as homogenous compared to the majority of the world's countries. Racial makeup is different than the US, but Canada is quite diverse, and in the same realm as the US. If you look at urban centres, Canada is just as diverse as the US, with caucasians being a minority in Vancouver, Toronto, etc. The US is more diverse overall, especially owing to the hispanic population, but it's not in a different order of magnitude and I think you may have a very outdated image of Canada's racial makeup. 

It’s amazing what I’ve seen in immigration for the 40 years I’ve lived here in the GTHA. There were literally 4 kids of colour at my public school from K-Gr.5, and then from grade 6 onwards steadily grew from there. My city was very white for the longest time (like 95% or higher, I swear) and would say we are +20% minority in my area. It’s amazing what I’ve seen in immigration for the 40 years I’ve lived here in the GTHA. There were literally 4 kids of colour at my public school from K-Gr.5, and then from grade 6 onwards steadily grew from there. My city was very white for the longest time (like 95% or higher, I swear) and would say we are +20% minority in my area. Which has been great for new foods and bad for my stomach waist line.

1 minute ago, Vitalsign said:

Back on topic. I think the law is dumb. Federal loans is how we got into the tuition cost death spiral. They should be worse not better.

The situation is a little different in Canada, where the vast majority of post-secondary institutions are public, not private. As such, they are heavily subsidized by the government and the rate of tuition growth is not nearly as severe as in the US (though not saying it's not an issue). A result of this difference is that the location of your degree in Canada is not nearly as important as in the US. If you have a degree in education, police studies, social work, computer science, etc from almost anywhere, there is very little difference. Some universities are known for certain things, but in general, the rich and poor alike attend the same universities, and networking (at least at the school level) barely exists compared to the US.

An engineering degree at my local university, for example, costs about ~$8,000 ($5,800 US) per year, plus a few hundred more for books. The degree is a five-year undergraduate, but one of those years is spent working in a paid co-op position (most degrees in Canada work this way), so it's only four years of that tuition, while you earn money for the fifth (roughly).

So yes, tuition inflation is real and exceeds general inflation, but it's far less of an issue in Canada due to universities existing primarily in the public sector already.