Podcasters Are Buying Millions of Listeners Through Mobile-Game Ads

1200x851.jpg
WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

Players in mobile games trigger downloads of shows no one may be hearing for more than seconds

Podcasts typically rely on downloads as the primary metric for ad sales. When an individual taps on an in-app play button on their mobile device, an entire episode begins downloading so they can listen to it even in the absence of a good internet connection—say, on an airplane or in the subway. An episode’s ads are inserted at that moment of download, meaning that even if a consumer only listens to 10 minutes of a 30-minute show, the mid-roll ad at the 15-minute mark is often ready to be heard—not to mention, counted by the sales team. 

This seems sketch 😂

What is it about mobile games that seems to attract the sketchiest stuff?

Also, the podcast industry seems so strange to me. I have no clue how much money podcasts are making, but the market just keeps expanding, and more and more reasonably famous people keep getting into it, so there must be decent money.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah but on the other hand I don't care if Casper mattress gets bilked.

My take is that it is less about the advertisers getting taken, and more about the way in which podcasting has morphed into every other medium with these big podcasting networks dominating the charts and finding ways to manipulate their audience numbers which further crowds out the little people.

There was a time 5-6 years ago where nobodies were able to self publish and gain a ton of notoriety and that is pretty much dead.

Same thing happened to YouTube before that. Sucks.

45 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My take is that it is less about the advertisers getting taken, and more about the way in which podcasting has morphed into every other medium with these big podcasting networks dominating the charts and finding ways to manipulate their audience numbers which further crowds out the little people.

There was a time 5-6 years ago where nobodies were able to self publish and gain a ton of notoriety and that is pretty much dead.

Same thing happened to YouTube before that. Sucks.

The moral of the story is that any new market ripe for monetization will be eaten by the largest giants. And once those giants get large enough, they start to influence government as to get even larger.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I'll never listen to a podcast because it's high on a chart. I'm usually finding a new podcast just due to me liking a person's previous work or a recommendation.
Just like Amazon product reviews, people are always looking for any way to game the system to the point it's unusable for the consumer.

Same. I never go searching for something. That portion of my podcast hunting days ended in 2015 as I have a very large collection of things I'm subscribed to now. If I am listening to something new then it's something that was recommended to me or I'm familiar with the host's other work.