Where Winds Meet (open-world wuxia ARPG set during Five Dynasties/Ten Kingdoms era of Chinese history) - closed beta test streams posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

Definitely strong Assassin's Creed/Ghost of Tsushima vibes here:

Interview with the developer:

winds-blogroll-1661287168302.jpg?width=1
WWW.IGN.COM

Where Winds Meet is promising a robust player choice system allowing them to play however they want in medieval China.

At Gamescom, Everstone Studios unveiled their new open-world epic Where Winds Meet. The trailer, which showcased numerous elements like travel, combat, stealth, and more, might seem overwhelming. That's because the developers prioritized player freedom above all else.

In an interview with IGN, Everstone Studios revealed that Where Winds Meet was designed with a high degree of freedom in mind. As such, Where Winds Meet will include a robust jobs system that allows players to specialize in a "variety of identities and occupations that exist in an Oriental martial arts society."

For example, players could become ill due to harsh weather environments. As such, this player can learn medicinal abilities to become a doctor who can heal not only themselves but also NPCs and even other players online.

"Other than becoming a doctor, players can choose other occupations," Everstone says. "For example, they can become an orator who uses the power of words to convince NPCs to follow their advice; they can become an architect who builds all kinds of imaginative buildings; they can become a bodyguard who protects players or NPCs from assassins; or they can become a ferryman who takes passengers on a tour of the river."

This one's for you @skillzdadirecta

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Where Winds Meet (open-world wuxia ARPG set during Five Dynasties/Ten Kingdoms era of Chinese history) - Official Extended Gameplay Reveal Trailer
1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Looks pretty damn good imo. Definitely strong Ghost of Tsushima vibes but it looks unique enough to separate itself. Visually it looked beautiful. 

It's Wuxia so you'll probably be flying around and shit. I agree looked pretty good. Chinese devs killing it lately.

PC version confirmed in the trailer. :p

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Definitely strong Assassin's Creed/Ghost of Tsushima vibes here:

Interview with the developer:

winds-blogroll-1661287168302.jpg?width=1
WWW.IGN.COM

Where Winds Meet is promising a robust player choice system allowing them to play however they want in medieval China.

This one's for you @skillzdadirecta

Oh I was all over this... missed the gameplay though! Danke :cheers:

• 2 months later...

New developer interview with PC Gamer:

6AZheJZBX72KGMmLVTEki8-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

There's lots of swordfighting in Where Winds Meet, but I'm more excited to try earning a living 10th-century China.

Where Winds Meet was my favorite announcement from this year's Gamescom. It looks like a wuxia-style Assassin's Creed—especially the bit in the trailer where the protagonist is wandering through a crowded street—but what really interests me is the promise of open-ended roleplaying where I can spend my time working as a doctor, a bodyguard, or apparently a professional orator who makes a living shouting at people.

Where Winds Meet is being developed by a Chinese studio called Everstone. Recently, three of the developers—lead producer Amber, product manager Beralt Lyu, and lead designer Chris Lyu—collaborated on answers to some of the questions I had after the reveal trailer (which is embedded below). Although combat is a big part of Where Winds Meet and I'm curious about its use of tai chi principles, I didn't ask any questions about combat. I just had to know more about my non-warrior career options.

According to the developers, players can wander away from the main quest to make a living healing, trading goods, constructing buildings, and doing a number of other jobs for NPCs. Other players might want your services, too. While the "plot and exploratory content" will take place in singleplayer mode, Everstone says that players will be able to opt into multiplayer for "specific experiences" like PvP and world events.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Where Winds Meet (open-world wuxia ARPG set during Five Dynasties/Ten Kingdoms era of Chinese history) - new developer interview with PC Gamer

Wuxia is alright, realistic and fantastical enough to be made into game, but I vastly prefer Xuanhuan. Doubt I'll really ever seen a game getting to true Xuanhuanlevels. Xianxia is fine too.

Asura's Wrath is kinda there but that's not really the type of game I'm looking for.

• 9 months later...

New IGN preview from Gamescom 2023

where-winds-meet-gc-blog-1692871026510.j
WWW.IGN.COM

Where Winds Meet is an a wildly ambitious RPG where you can clash swords and scream at bears.

We last saw When Winds Meet exactly a year ago. Back then, its expansive debut trailer had us believing it could be Chinese developer Everstone Studio’s answer to Ghost of Tsushima; a sword-swinging martial arts odyssey through 10th century China. A year later, I’ve found that comparison is somewhat true. But Where Winds Meet is much, much bigger than that. Its open world appears to be a cocktail of modern Zelda and The Witcher, and it’s all powered by an RPG system with a frankly baffling array of stats, abilities, and skills. Where Winds Meet appears to be more ambitious than just an open world swashbuckler, but I’m not entirely sure yet if that’s a wholly good thing.

At gamescom 2023 I was able to play around 45 minutes of Where Winds Meet. For almost any game, that’s barely a taste. But for this muti-faceted RPG, it’s a drop in the ocean. After a quick combat tutorial and the most detailed character creation screen I’ve ever seen (you can tweak anything from the angle of your cheekbones to the size of your nasal columella) I was thrown into an open world that seems to value the kind of freedom that Tears of the Kingdom thrives on.

It’s that everything else that concerns me, though. There’s the base of a fascinating open-world RPG here, but every menu I opened suggested that Where Winds Meet is much bigger and much wilder than I expected. There’s a huge amount of choice here, both in skills and stats, and I worry that it may be over-scoped, especially considering this is Everstone Studio’s first significant game. But I also welcome that ambition; if the studio can pull off a freeform open world game in which you can be an architect, a bodyguard, a doctor, or all manner of other professions, and make the experience feel satisfying for all options, then this could truly be something special. But 45 minutes at gamescom was not the demo that could prove that. Let’s hope our next hands-on reveals how all those ideas come together.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Where Winds Meet (open-world wuxia ARPG set during Five Dynasties/Ten Kingdoms era of Chinese history) - IGN hands-on impressions of Gamescom 2023 demo

Art style is more cartoony than i thought it would be. Gameplay looks interesting though. Looks like they have both "hard" and "soft" styles of Chinese Martial arts represented in the gameplay. The Part where the bear jumps and he tosses the bear away is a "soft" style of defense... when the bear attacks and he stands firm like a stone represents the "hard" style. Hopefully they pull this off. Not a huge fan of the art style to be honest though.

where-winds-meet-cradle.jpg?width=1200&h
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We got hands-on with Where Winds Meet, a wildly ambitious medieval China-inspired RPG which certainly wowed us, but lef…

Where Winds Meet struck me as hugely ambitious action adventure romp set in vast, Ten Kingdom-inspired China. And it was hilariously impossible to summarise in the space of a short, sharp 30-minute appointment. While the elevator pitch started off fairly naturally, there came a point where the elevator rocketed up into the atmosphere and spiralled out of control. I won’t pretend to completely understand what the exact measure of the game is, but I'm both excited to see more and a tad worried it could end up being a disjointed, overstretched mash of things that don't form a cohesive whole.

I spoke to the devs briefly before I spent some time with the game, and they casually sprung on me that you could play it solo or with hundreds of folks on the same server. That players could actually get sick and, depending on their ailment, have to seek out some very specific form of Chinese medicine to cure it. That there's tonnes of martial arts and a system where you can pet animals. Last year, there was even talk of an entire job system where you could become a doctor or an architect or a bodyguard.

After having my mind mildly split in two, my time with the game began, and it, too, was split into two hurried halves. The first was me fighting some dudes in a tutorial zone, and the second was watching the devs take over. The second half was bonkers.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Where Winds Meet (open-world wuxia ARPG set during Five Dynasties/Ten Kingdoms era of Chinese history) - Gamescom 2023 demo impressions and gameplay video
1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is this an MMO?

And as we bounced around the skies and I saw levels above people's heads, my MMO radar bleeped to life. Not to say the game's an MMO at all, it just engaged something within my brain which said, "This has the slightly static enormity of an MMO."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Where Winds Meet (open-world wuxia ARPG set during Five Dynasties/Ten Kingdoms era of Chinese history) - TGS 2023 gameplay footage (18 minutes)
  • 6 months later...

@skillzdadirecta

To get in, you'll need to fill out the surprisingly detailed sign-up questionnaire at wherewindsmeetgame.com, which asks about everything from your PC specs to the games you like to play and your familiarity with wuxia. "Server limitations" mean this beta is only open to players in Canada and the US, and while developer Everstone Studio didn't say how many players it's looking for, it did say that "due to high hardware performance requirements," applicants will be selected based on their hardware.

Applications for the Where Winds Meet closed beta will be open until April 18, while the test is slated to kick off the next day and run until April 22. There will also be a beta key "giveaway event" on April 9, although it's not clear how that will work. Best guess, you'll need to register for updates, also at the Where Winds Meet website. More details about what you can expect are available in the closed beta test FAQ.

WWW.WHEREWINDSMEETGAME.COM

Sign up for Where Winds Meet's first beta now! A groundbreaking Oriental Wuxia open world awaits you!

Test-Timeline.jpg?width=690&quality=75&f

• Thanks 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Where Winds Meet (open-world wuxia ARPG set during Five Dynasties/Ten Kingdoms era of Chinese history) - closed beta test (PC only) announced for April 19-22
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@skillzdadirecta

WWW.WHEREWINDSMEETGAME.COM

Sign up for Where Winds Meet's first beta now! A groundbreaking Oriental Wuxia open world awaits you!

Test-Timeline.jpg?width=690&quality=75&f

Danke.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Where Winds Meet (open-world wuxia ARPG set during Five Dynasties/Ten Kingdoms era of Chinese history) - closed beta test streams posted