Rumor: Cloud Save will Be Standard. Devs Must Ask Permission To Opt Out

Brian

So far so good

All existing games will default to “enabled”. I specifically asked Nintendo about that and had that response. If a dev/pub wants an existing game to not support it, they have to ask.

When submitting a game, you are encouraged to enable cloud save. You have to have a good reason to not support it.

Reasons to not support it are generally based around preventing a user abusing it to cheat in your game. I can’t think of anything beyond Animal Crossing being too concerned about players rewinding their saves, but some games that give a random weapon drop, for example, might want to also prevent rewinding.

I don't see why the publishers would even have to "support" the feature. Wouldn't it just be a thing that the Switch does in the background whenever you're on the network? Isn't that how it works on the other consoles? When you boot up a game, the OS checks online to see if your local save is older than the cloud save?

6 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I don't see why the publishers would even have to "support" the feature. Wouldn't it just be a thing that the Switch does in the background whenever you're on the network? Isn't that how it works on the other consoles? When you boot up a game, the OS checks online to see if your local save is older than the cloud save?

Not all games save in the same way. I imagine that Blizzard will not support it for Diablo because they already keep their saves on their own cloud.

Good, now we know who to blame if someone decides to use sephiroth (unless they use their own system as stated above).

And Animal Crossing would be the worst game not to support this, a game you play all year round and then all of the sudden you lose your save if someone steals your switch, they need to find a better way if they care about people using it to cheat.

22 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Not all games save in the same way. I imagine that Blizzard will not support it for Diablo because they already keep their saves on their own cloud.

That's not what I'm getting at though. I can see why some wouldn't need it. What I'm saying is why are the publishers required to support it? Wouldn't it be something done on Nintendo's side? i.e. the OS takes all the local saves and syncs them to the cloud.

All a publisher would have to do is have their games create a local save file, which is what they already do? Or is Nintendo requiring each game to literally log into the cloud and save your file directly to it, in which case you'd be SOL if you wanted to access it offline?

Any other company I'd just shrug it off and be like "cool" but with Nintendo you just can't relax until you know for sure they're not gonna fuck it up.