Do you think about WW3?

I kind of think about it to some degree every day. And I remember what Bismarck said about "some thing in the Balkans." Only this time it's some thing in the Pacific. I don't even think NK will have anything to do with it. It'll be like...  Taiwan shoots down a Chinese jet.  Or China moves on Philippine waters

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

I don't really. 

And even if WW3 happens, it won't last very long!

The one (only?) unfounded conspiracy theory I believe in is that the CIA has assets at a sufficiently high enough level within each nuclear power, and that those assets have only one task/objective: if they are about to deliver the order, take them out. 

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

The one (only?) unfounded conspiracy theory I believe in is that the CIA has assets at a sufficiently high enough level within each nuclear power, and that those assets have only one task/objective: if they are about to deliver the order, take them out. 

I sincerely hope this is right, but I can't say that it'll be very effective :p 

I try not to think about it because not a single thing I do will ever make a difference concerning it whatsoever. Unfortunately, people who probably shouldn't be the ones making decisions on this sort of thing are exactly those people, they don't listen to anything someone like me has to say (or care), and they're going to do whatever they think is appropriate regardless of how it affects me in any way. It's part of what makes politics so awful to me because that just translates to an atmosphere where people who are good at popularity contests end up becoming the instruments of power to control the rest of us, even though that popularity rarely translates to either the smartest person in the room or the most compassionate.

Only in the sense that if it actually happens it will be at 2:30am, that I will not know about the 30-40 minutes the missiles are in the air, and that I will be hit by a direct air burst and die instantly without even knowing what was going on.

We have anywhere from 7-10 days worth of food in the house at any given time, and water for 3-7 days...so if nuclear war happened and we weren't hit, it's not like we're going to survive long anyway once society breaks down and the looting starts. I am assuming in this scenario that the United States is wiped out and that I need to remain in our basement for 1-2 weeks to avoid the worst fallout from the Dakotas. If it happens in autumn then maybe we'll live for a bit, but if it's mid-winter or spring, then I assume food will be gone right away (and water).