An Alabama high school student gets in trouble for Nazi salutes performed during a class.

Jason

2 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Eh if it is a class on how symbols change over time I can't really judge based on information given.

So if it was a class on how words change over time so the teacher had everyone use the n word that would be cool? 

7 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Wow the responses. White people can’t say the n bomb or do the nazi wave.  Especially in high school. Real simple ppl 

Yeah, you certainly don't need a class participation activity to show what a fucking Nazi salute is. Profoundly stupid move by the teacher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

So if it was a class on how words change over time so the teacher had everyone use the n word that would be cool? 

I'm just saying context is important. Just because they did the salute doesn't mean the the teacher was training them to be Nazis. However it probably wasn't smart in this current environment where anything slightly controversial gets blown the fuck up on twitter.

7 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'm just saying context is important. Just because they did the salute doesn't mean the the teacher was training them to be Nazis. However it probably wasn't smart in this current environment where anything slightly controversial gets blown the fuck up on twitter.

Yeah, this would be dumb even if the "woke police" were okay with it.

• True 1

It is interesting to me what things we decide to draw a distinction on when it comes to issue of whether depicting something is itself wrong, especially in the academic realm. In reading some other articles, it doesn’t appear as though the student who recorded the video and released it was suggesting that the teacher was advocating for something nefarious, just that the live demonstration made him feel uncomfortable. It was a dumb decision on the part of the teacher though. It reminded me of the NYT reporter who got into hot water primarily over a situation where an academic discussion of racial slurs included the guy uttering the full n-word a couple of times, not directed at anybody but just in the course of the discussion saying the word as they discussed it.

I think it is a sort of “we know it when see it” thing, and I’m pretty quick to forgive when people acknowledge why it was a bad idea.

19 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You don’t have to do the salute and you don’t have to actually say the slurs to discuss them. 

Correct. You don’t have to do either. You also don’t have to show images or videos of Nazis saluting either to discuss the issue of changing symbolism of the salute. Where we draw those lines is not based on some objective criteria, it is subjective and changes over time. Which is why I care more about how people respond once confronted with their poor decision than the initial decision itself.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Correct. You don’t have to do either. You also don’t have to show images or videos of Nazis saluting either to discuss the issue of changing symbolism of the salute. Where we draw those lines is not based on some objective criteria, it is subjective and changes over time. Which is why I care more about how people respond once confronted with their poor decision than the initial decision itself.

Well in this case the Jewish student was reprimanded for even revealing the salute occurred...so I'd say the school's response is not good.