Why do we keep the south in the union?

CastletonSnob

30 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Can you think of any reason the US should keep the south? Because it seems to me that that region of the country is nothing but a financial drain, and an anchor of progress.

I mean, has the south EVER contributed ANYTHING of value socially, intellectually, or artistically?

Delicious Food. (from Slaves)

There's a lot to be said about the legacy of cash crop farming and the devastating effects it has on societies that get left behind when the cash crops are no longer profitable (ie the south with tobacco and cotton). There is an inherent fuckery when you build a society that is not based on sustainability, but resource extraction, and it can take centuries to course correct, if it ever even happens. Look at pretty much anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa. Basically all of their existing infrastructure was built around cash crops and resource extraction, with self sustainability being actively discouraged/prevented. Even after 60-70 years of self rule, the effects of colonization are still being felt, because all that happened was new people took over the existing power structure that is still solely based on resource extraction.

Anyway, rant over, and yes I compared the south to sub-Saharan Africa, get mad.

Here's a fun video based on "what if the civil war never happened"

28 minutes ago, Patatat said:

It's really more of an urban rural divide than a geographical divide. Rural areas are ruby red and pretty much always have been, at least since the 80s or so. There are good cities and people in the south.

Truth. Cities like Atlanta, New Orleans, and even Houston are bluer than some cities on the coasts.

The difference is in a state like Oregon, where like 2/3 of the population lives in the Portland area, Portland pretty much dominates state legislature, so chuds can cry all they want and eat shit. Which, in it's own way, is a problem. No one should ever be essentially unrepresented, which they basically are. I agree with the result, but not the methodology.

47 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Truth. Cities like Atlanta, New Orleans, and even Houston are bluer than some cities on the coasts.

The difference is in a state like Oregon, where like 2/3 of the population lives in the Portland area, Portland pretty much dominates state legislature, so chuds can cry all they want and eat shit. Which, in it's own way, is a problem. No one should ever be essentially unrepresented, which they basically are. I agree with the result, but not the methodology.

Eh, that's how a democracy is supposed to function more or less. I don't think the minority in a given jurisdiction should have zero representation, but they also shouldn't be allowed to rule from that minority viewpoint because of arcane and stupid electoral college bullshit and gerrymandering. Places like Wisconsin, Ohio, TX and Florida have the whole system rigged so the conservatives run the show when that isn't the reality in terms of actual demographics and political ideology. It's the same thing on the national level. Dems need like a 5million vote advantage to win the EC. That's fucked. Land is literally more important than people.