Oklahoma's getting ready to go on a murder spree.

Thankfully in Oregon the moratorium on executing folks is not likely to go away any time soon, but I still wish they'd just nut up and abolish the damn thing already.

I mean, of all the ways I think we need serious.. rehabilitation reform... abolishing the death penalty is pretty far down my list of priorities, but it still needs done.

Its almost easy to say those given life without parole should be given the option to just choose to die instead. But a lot of guys with life in prison still have hope they'll be released one day, and it's the only thing that keeps them going.

This is where it gets to what I think is right philosophically vs. practically. I firmly believe there are crimes you can commit that display emphatically that you are not fit to live in society. I also firmly believe our government is not entirely fit to execute those judgments. So where does that leave me? It's hard to say. We need to not have boners for punishment. We want to see people PUNISHED for crimes, goddammit, because that makes us *feel* good. But you can't reconcile that with the fact that 99.5% of prisoners will be released back into society one day, and what kind of person do you want them to be when that day comes? The justice system needs to act with logic, not emotion. Yet judges in America are elected positions, playing to emotion is how they keep their jobs. Punishing the bad guys IS their job. But then... What's the alternative? Appointed judges? My skin is crawling already.

22 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

This is where it gets to what I think is right philosophically vs. practically. I firmly believe there are crimes you can commit that display emphatically that you are not fit to live in society. I also firmly believe our government is not entirely fit to execute those judgments. The justice system needs to act with logic, not emotion. Yet judges in America are elected positions, playing to emotion is how they keep their jobs. Punishing the bad guys IS their job. But then... What's the alternative? Appointed judges? My skin is crawling already.

black and white batman GIF

26 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

black and white batman GIF

All judges in Canada are appointed and I think the system works better. Most judges at high levels aren't just chosen by the leader of government, either. A short list is typically created by arm's-length committees/legal groups, and then the government leader selects from them. This limits the patronage that would otherwise be possible (not to say all choices are perfect, etc).