Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - "Release Date Reveal" trailer (09 September 2024)

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 5 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - "Behind the Scenes" trailer
  • 6 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 2023) - Gameplay Reveal Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 2023) - Gameplay Reveal Trailer and CE revealed ($250)
  • 1 month later...

New PC Gamer interview with the game's Creative Director:

y6xZoPzMj3UYvqDEgyscZQ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Fight hundreds of alien monsters at once in the bigger, meaner Space Marine 2.

Bigger, is definitely the key word. Bigger than its genre brethren, and bigger than its predecessor, promising hundreds of foes on screen as the sequel confronts returning protagonist Titus with waves and waves of the bug-like tyranids. "We have our own proprietary engine at Saber which allowed us to do things in World War Z that you couldn't get from any other engine, things like 500 enemies on screen at the same time. Without compromising the graphics."

Space Marine 2 is delivering on that same front, throwing massive alien armies at your chunky warrior. It's truly a sight to behold, and reminds me of the era when games like Ninety Nine Nights were a thing, putting loads of lads on screen in a bid to capture the feel of the battles from The Lord of the Rings films. "Our engine has allowed us to give an authentic Warhammer experience with hundreds, if not thousands, of enemy tyranids assaulting you and your allies. This war isn't just taking place in front of you but all the way up to the horizon."

As well as bringing back the style of shooter that earned the original game such a following, Space Marine 2 continues the story of main character Titus. "At the end of the first game Titus was arrested by the Inquisition and taken away, probably for interrogation. I mean, anyone who knows anything about the Inquisition knows that they are ruthless in their methods." Oliver encourages players to use their imagination to picture everything Titus might have been through between games, but does say that some hints of exactly what occurred can be seen. "People found it [in our trailer], that Titus now wears an Inquisition symbol on a chain around his forearm."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 2023) - PC Gamer interview with the game's Creative Director
  • 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 2023) - ONE whole, entire minute of new gameplay footage
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, "This Winter") - Co-Op Campaign (up to 3 players) Reveal Trailer
  • 2 months later...

space-marine-gc-blog-1692692585405.jpg?w
WWW.IGN.COM

Space Marine 2's impressive swarm technology makes it a Warhammer 40k game where there really is only war.

The chainsword is one of my favourite weapons in all of science fiction. It has the form factor of a medieval longsword, but the blade is made up of dozens of chainsaw teeth that rip and tear through flesh. In a single strike it captures both the gothic aesthetic and violent excess of Warhammer 40,000. And this weapon is the brutal, snarling heart of the long-awaited Space Marine 2.

I recently played an hour of the sequel to what many consider the best Warhammer 40k action game ever made. And from what I’ve seen it appears new developer Saber Interactive definitely understands what made the 2011 original, created by Relic Entertainment, work so well. Space Marine 2 is a shooter/melee hybrid that falls somewhere between Gears of War and Doom; a linear third-person campaign filled with intense, gory monster battles. And like its predecessor, it appears to be unapologetically straightforward in its pursuit of increasingly bloody encounters against overwhelming odds.

4181519-7269720984-ss_71.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Almost 12 years after the beloved original, Space Marine 2 seems to be building upon everything that made Space Marine exciting, satisfying, and bloody brutal.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 is a game I've been clamoring for since playing as the stoic Captain Titus way back in September 2011. I was a Warhammer fan before Space Marine, and if anything, I'm an even bigger one now. The franchise has been an important part of my life and I wanted you, dear reader, to know this little context of myself and my relationship with Warhammer so when I tell you during my one-hour hands-on with Space Marine 2 I was grinning ear-to-ear, and my eyes were drying out due to them being locked on the Grimdark scenes unfolding before me, you may get a sense of just where I'm coming from as I share my thoughts fresh from playing a game I've thought about for almost 12 years.

While I wasn't able to record my own gameplay, it is clear from the snippet that I got to play that the developers at Saber are also fans themselves, with a drive to do Space Marine, its world, and the franchise justice, not just for long-time fans like myself, but for those new to Warhammer as well.

The first thing I noticed was Space Marine 2's attention to detail as the game opens up on Titus with his new squad on their way to support the Cadians on the planet's surface. I felt like the Once Upon A Time In Hollywood meme, pointing my fingers at the screen as I excitedly picked up on little details on Astartes armor or individual troops or tanks littered across the battlefield, but I believe it is with smart design and appreciation for the source that the game can also feel approachable to those with fresh eyes, too.

I was quickly thrust into the heart of battle, as any good Space Marine should be, but with every giant footstep, the combat in front of me grew into a spectacle that caused me to mutter a very British "bloody hell" under my breath.

ss_f3cb28be981ddf20fccd4e8d827d0e340cf12
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Polygon played through a one hour demo of Space Marine 2, and the game doesn’t pull any punches with its visceral combat

And boy howdy, are there plenty of aliens to kill. There were times in the demo where I would stop and stare at the awe-inspiring horde of Tyranids pouring down the hills or through a chokepoint. The creatures are incredibly deadly; even on lower difficulties, if they manage to surround Titus, he’ll go down quickly. Luckily, his squad mates are much more helpful than in the first game; they’ll even try to help him back up instead of defaulting to an instant game over.

The demo doesn’t show too much of Space Marine 2’s planets, but it does an excellent job of setting up the scope and scale of the Tyranid threat. I feel like I’ve waded through thousands of the aliens, and only come out ahead due to Titus’ sheer power and force of will. Melee can feel like a bit of a slog, but it’s punctuated by some gratuitously gory execution animations.

At one point, I watched Titus pull a floating, psychic zoanthrope out of the air, grip its faceplate in one heavy gauntlet, and rip it off in a shower of blood and tissue. Needless to say, it was so over the top that it had me hooting and hollering.

Rather than sticking with the formula of the original, however, Saber has opted to innovate in several key ways. In both the first Space Marine and now Space Marine 2, pains are made to emphasize that ‘cover’ is something for less durable soldiers who aren’t, essentially, walking tanks. As a result, the best way to stay in the fight is to regularly dispatch enemies in gory executions, a process that fills up a shield bar that protects you from incoming damage. 

There are fewer opportunities for executions in Space Marine 2 than in its predecessor, though enemies are still torn apart into meaty chunks with a violent abandon worthy of Mortal Kombat 1. However, this is because Saber’s take on the Space Marine fantasy places a greater emphasis on well-timed parries. Successfully parry an attack from a weaker enemy, and you’ll instantly execute them, often tearing them limb from limb. Parry an attack from a stronger foe, and you’ll stagger them, making them ripe for a devastating follow-up attack.

It’s a more precise take on the Space Marine, but no less effective. After all, as well as being hulking behemoths, Space Marines are a well-trained and disciplined group, often using brains as much as brawn. To that end, Saber has fleshed out Titus’s supporting squad, making his companions feel more responsive and dynamic in battle. 

warhammer-40k-space-marine-2-parade.jpg
WWW.WARGAMER.COM

60 minutes with the Warhammer 40k: Space Marine 2 preview build isn’t enough to tell if it will be good, but my inner 15 year-old is stoked

Make no mistake, the spectacle is jaw dropping. This is the best the Warhammer 40k universe has ever looked in a video game, without question. The demo opens in an Astra Militarum outpost on a jungle world under siege from ravenous hordes of alien Tyranids. When I say hordes, I mean hordes. The sky ripples with flocks of gargoyles, while tides of hormagaunts and termagants boil over the hills and throw themselves at the Imperial lines.

This is the first time I’ve seen a game portray battle between Warhammer 40k factions on anywhere near the right scale. The sheer mass of the Tyranid horde is incomprehensible. The playable battles where you’ll pit the three Space Marine protagonists against the xenos see you fight more restrained numbers of foes, dozens at a time rather than thousands, but careful level design means the separation between background and foreground bugs is just not visible.

scka8f.jpg?width=1200&height=600&fit=cro
WWW.VG247.COM

Do you have a Gears of War-shaped scratch that you need to itch? Well, I have just the game for you.

Sometimes, you just need a game that’s big and dumb and fun. After a slow Gamescom that feels very lacking in the triple-A space, I can’t tell you how much of a relief it was to venture over to Focus Entertainment’s booth and rip and tear my way through the grimdark future. Some of the most lush visuals of the show, paired with unapologetically bloody and over-the-top action, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 reminds my why I love games – especially bombastic, indulgent, obnoxious ones.

Your behemoth player character will just wander around saying cool shit like “we shall not sacrifice strategy for expediency, brother” before shooting something so much it explodes in a shower of alien blood and guts. He’ll stand there, about four heads taller than a hench marine next to him, slamming magazines of ammo the size of a human arm into a carbine. He’ll mutter something about the “heresy of the alien scum” and then the next linear section of the level will begin.

You rinse-repeat this for about 30 minutes; little story exposition, combat encounter, exploration, and then back to exposition. It’s very simple, it doesn’t require too much thought, and it absolutely rules. By paring back any sense of complexity, Space Marine 2 gets to revel in what it does best – ooh-rah action and some of the nastiest, meatiest combat you’re going to find this side of Doom Eternal. It plays like Gears of War, sans cover: thin the herd with your uber-industrial gun, draw your chainsword, and tear apart anything else left standing in your way.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, "This Winter") - Gamescom 2023 hands-on previews articles and videos
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, "This Winter") - 14 minutes of gameplay footage
4183850-space-marine-2.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

"We wanted to make it more raw, more, violent, and with a kind of cold brutality."

It has been more than a decade since Captain Titus faced hordes of bloodthirsty Orks in Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, but at long last, the Ultramarine commander is ready to return to the battlefield and face down the enemies that threaten the Imperium. A lot has changed in the 12 years since the first Space Marine game, not only in terms of trends and hardware but also in the power structure of the gaming industry.

The first Space Marine game was published by the now-defunct THQ--which kind of lives on as THQ Nordic under Embracer Group--and this time Saber Interactive is taking over from Relic Entertainment to continue the story of Titus. With the original game being a beloved classic of the action genre, Saber Interactive had some big power-boots to fill, but as Space Marine 2 creative director Oliver Hollis-Leick explained to GameSpot in an interview, the studio wanted to put its own stamp on this sequel while preserving what made the original game so special.

"To be gifted with the opportunity to tell a new story in that world is an incredible privilege, but it comes with an enormous amount of responsibility," Hollis-Leick explained. "Everybody on the team is a massive Warhammer 40,000 fan. And that is not something I just say for PR, that is before we even did this game. There's a library at the office, they have tabletop games, and they have loads of books. We know the responsibility and we're taking it very, very seriously. And then what comes in between that because you can't just try and service people out of fear. There has to be an element of passion in there as well."

4183861-ss_712fe9d84a853d1d2fc1faee8cd8e
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Rip, tear, slash, chainsaw, shoot, explode, tackle, and smash your way through the Tyranid hordes.

"We wanted to create a combat mechanic to sustain a player through the whole of a campaign, and so we wanted to be more nuanced," Hollis-Leick said. "The Tyranids are a more tricky adversary, and especially with the Swarm mechanics which you didn't have in the first game, we needed a system that would allow you to move through large numbers of enemies in a sort of strategic way that would characterize the unique combat style of a Space Marine."

This approach was designed to reflect the "hundreds of thousands of hours" that Space Marines spend in training simulators, forging them into human weapons that can come up with unique ways to handle every single enemy they encounter. In Space Marine 2, battlefield training isn't just brutal when put into action, it allows a player to seamlessly flow through multiple actions as they clear the area of threats.

"To be able to throw a grenade, blow up, thin the swarm, move in, tackle a few enemies, one jumps at you, you grab it by the tail, smash it, shoot the head of another one, parry the warrior come back, stab him, rip his head off, and then move on to the next guy, I think that was the kind of feel that we wanted to create for the player, that they were sort of flowing through the enemies," Hollis-Leick said.

4183996-warhammer-space-marine-2.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

The three-player co-op for Space Marine 2 is aiming to make you feel like a real Ultramarine company.

Speaking to GameSpot, Space Marine 2 creative director Oliver Hollis-Leick explained how Saber Interactive designed the co-op portion of the game to make players feel like they were part of a Space Marine brotherhood. "On a fundamental level, the co-op aspect is about quality of experience. The Space Marines are a brotherhood and playing as a team of three, you get that vibe straight away, you start to feel this protective element and you start to share in the glory," Hollis-Leick said.

"It's an experiential quality first and foremost, in terms of tactics and strategy. When you're fighting a swarm and the battlefield situation can change very rapidly, it's all about responsiveness and spotting where your ally needs assistance. You can tag an enemy so that you can all focus your fire on one specific target, you can highlight weapons and equipment that might be useful to your teammates, but it's mostly about finding a rhythm. You're working together to take down the most difficult enemies, and of course, the better you do, the more the AI director will start to challenge you. So it finds that sweet spot, you're always just riding the wave."

That AI director is a persistent presence that'll test player skills, as it'll throw thick swarms of Tyranids at your team and constantly test your strength as a squad. "It's not just the rendered enemies on the level; you're fighting that AI director on how thick those swarms are," Hollis-Leick added. "It's appropriate that you've got a hive-mind behind the system, which is knowing where to push where to pull and all that stuff."

In the year 2011, men were men and the terrible affliction of "Unreal Engine 3 Neck" raged unabated. At this time of peak Xbox, we got the original Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, which paired the gothic grimdark far future of the Imperium of Man with Gears of War-style shooting, minus the knee-high cover everywhere.

12 years on, not much has changed in Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2, at least going by an hour-long demo level I had the chance to sample. I never get tired of seeing those big ol' blue Ultramarine pauldrons, and we're actually pretty starved for straight-up, linear, over-the-shoulder shooter campaigns like this, but unless the full game has some serious surprises in store, it doesn't feel like Space Marine 2 will win the favor of 2023 Ted.

First, the good: despite having to crank the graphics down to medium for a stable 60 fps at 1440p on an RTX 3070, Space Marine 2 is still a treat to look at. Our big boys' armor nails that almost candy-like look of a well-painted plastic miniature impersonating metal, complete with details like skulls, scrollwork, and my favorite: mud that built up and caked my Ultramarine clodhoppers as I stomped through the demo's swampy jungle.

I was also impressed at how my Tyranid foes swarmed in numbers that put the 360 original to shame, even clumping together at the base of walls to help their comrades climb over like something in World War Z (whose videogame adaptation Saber also developed). The demo level's interior portions leaned more into "military industrial" 40K (boo) instead of "freaky gothic" 40K (hell yeah), but there were still some nice environment art touches like the candles, scrolls, and tomes festooned about an otherwise-modern control room.

It all fell apart with the combat, though. My entire time playing, I found myself yearning for Auroch Digital's recent Warhammer 40K: Boltgun instead. They're setting out to be very different shooters, but Boltgun nails the Space Marine fantasy of being an angry silverback in power armor. I still felt like a gorilla in Space Marine 2, but maybe one already half-sedated by a tranq dart after a toddler tumbled into his enclosure.

Titus just doesn't feel responsive, launching into slow, lumbering combos with his chainsword that I can't cancel out of when it's time for an Arkham-style omnidirectional parry. The counter windows are blessedly generous, but I'd be hammering the left bumper to counter (Space Marine 2 did not feel right on mouse and keyboard) as Titus languidly worked through a pirouette strike with his chainsword, a successful riposte far from guaranteed.

The weapons don't carry that oomph for me either⁠—these feel like assault rifles and submachine guns and not Bolters, and I think they could do with deeper, punchier audio and more dramatic enemy reactions to getting hit with micro-missiles. I was also disappointed by the chainsword, which rather than ripping and tearing would smack against Tyranids like a pool noodle. There's just no chew to it. 

It's hard to tell how much of the full arsenal this represents, but I do gotta say that I appreciate Space Marine 2's commitment to a Halo or Gears-style "you get two guns and a couple points in a level where you can swap them out." There were no loadouts to speak of and no green, purple, blue, or gray loot drops in sight, and god bless it not even a hint of "+6% chance to poison an enemy while flanking."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, "This Winter") - 14 minutes of Gamescom 2023 gameplay
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, "This Winter") - Extended Gameplay Trailer
Space-Marine-2-Hero500.jpg
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

We go hands on with Space Marine 2 at Gamescom 2023, facing off against the Tyranid hordes as we rejoin Titus and the Ultramarines.

The first thing that strikes you coming from the original game – I’ve recently replayed it on Steam Deck – is how lush and green this jungle environment is. It’s teaming with life, though a large part of it wants to slice you to ribbons so it’s not all a sightseeing trip. The jump in generations has meant a huge increase in detail, texture and colour – Space Marine shipped on the 360 and PS3 and was resolutely brown and grey – and it’s really a feast for the eyes. Well, so long as you like alien viscera splattering around the place.

Combat in Space Marine 2 is unapologetically gritty, focussing on the risk and reward of executions to renew your ability bank. Blood flies out of everywhere, which is little surprise when the Space Marines are packing swords with chainsaws built in and boltguns with ammo the size of your fist. There’s a cool parry move to utilise, and you have to mix up your approaches as you deal with ever-larger Tyranid enemies. They behave as you’d expect, like a flood of alien locusts that swarm towards you, intent on turning you to mulch. Better you do it to them first, then!

There’s a frantic fight to hold back the swarm as you try to get a pair of heavy gates open, with wave upon wave coming to you. The chitinous throng climb and clamber on top of one another as they attempt to reach the top of your installation, with shades of zombie-actioners like World War Z – this game is built on an enhanced WWZ engine, after all. The mindless hordes here are just as terrifying. There’s some great drama as the great doors slowly open, and once you’re through there’s a few remaining moments of frantic stand off as they try to follow you in.

• 2 weeks later...

Over 10,000 years ago, before the current grimdark setting of Warhammer 40,000, the Emperor of Man created 20 Space Marine legions. Things immediately started going off the rails; two legions were purged from history, their fates unknown. A civil war called the Horus Heresy split the remaining 18 legions 50/50, with half on the side of humanity and the Emperor. The other half, including the Thousand Sons, ended up siding with the extra-dimensional and wholly malevolent Chaos Gods.

The Thousand Sons are arguably the most tragic traitor legion, and some fans have argued that their primarch, Magnus, did nothing wrong. (He absolutely did a whole lot of things wrong, but that’s a whole other article.) Each legion, loyalist or traitorous, has their own specialization; the Imperial Fists love to fortify, the Raven Guard is the best at stealth, and members of the Death Guard are tough to the point of near-invulnerability. Magnus and the Thousand Sons are top-tier pyskers; these guys aren’t just Space Marines, they also have a ton of space wizards in their ranks.

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - release postponed to second half of 2024
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - "Release Date Reveal" trailer (09 September 2024)