Anyone playing Hell Let Loose?

atom631

Grabbed this from PS+ game of the month (thanks @skillzdadirecta @Zaku3 @Commissar SFLUFAN for point this out in the BF2042 thread). At first I was on the fence, but I think Im rightfully hooked on it now. This game is hard AF, but its so rewarding when you play it properly. The key is to play with a good squad w/ good communication, its world of difference in this game. The game was originally for PC and its evident in the wonky controller design. I really am hoping that they  patch in the ability to customize controls in a future patch. 

The game is cross-play so if there are any D1Pers that want to squad-up, LMK! 

42 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. Is there a lot of communication on Playstation? I've never played an online game on a Sony platform that had a lot of communication.

it depends. when i get into a squad with no comms, i bounce. you absolutely need to communicate in this game. you also really need to work with your squad. this game does not work as a lone wolf. it becomes a walking simulator and youll spend 10 minutes getting up to the frontline and get killed instantly, just to have to wait 40 seconds to respawn all the way back at HQ. The squad dynamic of this game is amazing too. Every member literally needs to play a roll. 

The squad leader communicates with command and other squad leaders (which is not heard by the rest of the squad). so they are taking direction from the commander. they also place down garrisons or outposts (which are spawn points). they can call in supply drops, air support or radar to the commander as well

The support member needs to provide supplies to the squad leader so they can build the spawn points

Rifleman can provide ammo to the squad if youre holding down a point. also just an all-round infantryman role. 

Engineer can build nodes (munition, fuel, barricades, etc). they also have access to AP and AT mines, which is key when fortifying an objective. 

Medic - obv. can revive down team members and heal them

Anti-tank - self-explanatory for those pesky tanks that are wreaking havoc on the team

Assault - usually first in or used for scouting a head since they have both grenades and smoke

Honestly, this game is what Battlefield should be like. Take the fast-paced arcadey gameplay of BF with the squad-based gameplay of HLL. Add in the BF destruction and overall polish and you have a masterpiece. 

I keep trying it on PS5 but in the end I'm not having much fun. I'm sure it's because of the necessary communication that you mentioned. I haven't heard anyone talking when I played. I find some of the menus to be cluttered/confusing on a controller. One time after 15 or so minutes of trying to advance into enemy territory, me and a bunch of people are crawling through an area avoiding enemy fire and suddenly a bunch of bombs went off on top of us. Was it an artillery strike or planes bombing us? I haven't played enough to know, but it felt cheap as hell after working so hard to make progress.

I feel like I'd have more control with a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes you spawn and you are instantly getting shot at, and you don't have amy time to figure out where it's coming from.

I'll keep dipping in, maybe check out the tutorials more, but it may be a little too hardcore of a living room/couch shooter for me. 

10 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I keep trying it on PS5 but in the end I'm not having much fun. I'm sure it's because of the necessary communication that you mentioned. I haven't heard anyone talking when I played. I find some of the menus to be cluttered/confusing on a controller. One time after 15 or so minutes of trying to advance into enemy territory, me and a bunch of people are crawling through an area avoiding enemy fire and suddenly a bunch of bombs went off on top of us. Was it an artillery strike or planes bombing us? I haven't played enough to know, but it felt cheap as hell after working so hard to make progress.

I feel like I'd have more control with a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes you spawn and you are instantly getting shot at, and you don't have amy time to figure out where it's coming from.

I'll keep dipping in, maybe check out the tutorials more, but it may be a little too hardcore of a living room/couch shooter for me. 

The comms are bugged on the PS5 right now. You have to reselect it every match. L1 will bring up the comm wheel. You can chose proximity (blue) and squad (green). Youll know which one you selected by having blue or green wavy lines on the bottom-center left of the screen. When you jump in a squad and the match starts, go into squad and announce youre calling for a mic check. Then make sure at least the squad leader responds. 

the menus were definitely made for KBM. Same thing with the map. Ive never felt like I needed to be closer to my TV to play a game, but for this one, Im sitting on my coffee table when I play. Puts me sbout 4’ closer to the TV and made a world of difference. It also helps with seeing enemies since you cant mark them. 

you probably got killed by an air strike called in by the enemy commander. An enemy squad leader probably found your garrison and called it in. Only thing you can do is spawn at a nearby garrison or outpost. The whole “not knowing where its coming from” is what makes this game amazing to me. Its hardcore and does not give you any reprieve, much like I suspect WWII was like. My first bunch of matches I was probably like 2 kills and 25 deaths. But Im learning how important situational awareness, observing the map, and using cover is. 

also - I suggest playing with the sensitivity settings for the controller. They are super slow by default and the deadzone is huge. I think I have my L stick sensitivty to 60%. ADS sensitivity to like 50% and my deadzone at 2%. It becomes a bit twitchy, but it felt worth it to be able to quickly scan the field. I do note that the game doesnt recenter your view either. So you need to constantly have control of the R stick. Even to the point that it feels like stick drift. However, no matter what - shooting and getting kills in this game is tough. It’s impossible to use steady aim rignt now with the way its mapped. And I feel that small corrections on the stick when trying to aim at a target are difficult. I suspect this has something to do either little or no aim assist at long range. Add to it the realistic recoil and its hard af. Trying to full auto fire a Bar or STG is crazy. I wind up shooting at the sky after 3 seconds. Lol. Burst firing is the way to go. 

@atom631 I'll definitely try out your suggestions. I thought aiming felt pretty slow but never bothered to adjust the settings. I do appreciate what the game is going for because it's definitely not another brainless shooter.

The 2nd game I played, not knowing what to do, I kind of just strolled into enemy territory and thought huh I'll just crouch down here by this burning truck real quick, when suddenly a group of 4 enemies just ran by not seeing me.  They all crouch down and start shooting toward my team advancing. Took all 4 of them out, then another 3 people came and I killed them too. I ran back to my teammates feeling like I just cheated somehow haha. Like you said, situational awareness is huge. 

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2021 at 3:55 PM, DarkStar189 said:

@atom631 I'll definitely try out your suggestions. I thought aiming felt pretty slow but never bothered to adjust the settings. I do appreciate what the game is going for because it's definitely not another brainless shooter.

The 2nd game I played, not knowing what to do, I kind of just strolled into enemy territory and thought huh I'll just crouch down here by this burning truck real quick, when suddenly a group of 4 enemies just ran by not seeing me.  They all crouch down and start shooting toward my team advancing. Took all 4 of them out, then another 3 people came and I killed them too. I ran back to my teammates feeling like I just cheated somehow haha. Like you said, situational awareness is huge. 

Sounds like you had a good position and there was probably an outpost nearby. Next time, go hunting for it. Thats one of the key objectives to this game, destroying enemy garrisons and outposts. It makes it so much more difficult for them to get back on the point and cap or retake it. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, Paperclyp said:

I’m intrigued by it but assumed I would just get a shell of the experience on the PS5. 

You will be more accurate on the PC. Though the community is kinda meh. I prefer Post Scriptum. 

Also I agree BF should be the arcade equivalent of Squad/HLL/PS but gotta chase that COD crowd. Even though ya know COD exists so why move to another COD like game. (DICE wit the galaxy brain strats)

17 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

You will be more accurate on the PC. Though the community is kinda meh. I prefer Post Scriptum. 

Also I agree BF should be the arcade equivalent of Squad/HLL/PS but gotta chase that COD crowd. Even though ya know COD exists so why move to another COD like game. (DICE wit the galaxy brain strats)

im finding the community so far to be awesome. Although I think its been mostly console. I dont even know what their icon looks like for PC.  So far though, everyone is welcoming and eager to show new players the ropes. I tried Insurgency and that community was instantly toxic and I stopped playing bc of it. 

Just played one the best matches yet. And while we didnt win, our squad did amazing. Everyone was communicating and spot on with the callouts. We had an awesome medic that was on point with the revives and bandages.

This game creates these smaller battles within the larger one. Clearing out encampments. Destroying garrisons. Each smaller victory feels like you won a match in and of itself. 

cmon - D1Pers who are playing, lets squad up!

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just got this game and put like 10 hours into it over two days. It's pretty damn awesome. The community has seemed welcoming to new players and generally chiller than most gaming communities. It seems to hit a sweet spot where the gameplay isn't compromised by the realism and the actual shooting and movement feel great. Specifically I love that they've put decidedly un-realistic hit confirmation in the game because there's nothing better than hearing the ping of a Nazi's helmet when you get them from 100m. I've had a lot of fun playing as the medic running around the backlines of a push trying to get people up and not get shot in the head. So far this game is really scratching my 10 year old Red Orchestra itch.