Our long national nightmare is finally over as the Epic Games Store finally implements an Achievements/Profile XP system

Commissar SFLUFAN

Epic announced the new feature in a blog post earlier today, unveiling how its particular version of the popular feature will work. Epic Achievements will award varying amounts of XP, the amount depending on what tier: Bronze (5-45 XP), Silver (50-95 XP), Gold (100-200 XP) and Platinum (250XP), with Platinum itself is reserved as a once-per-game cheevo for earning 1000 XP in a single game. It's a similar scheme as Sony's Trophies system on PlayStation.

For starters, your total XP score will mostly exist for bragging rights, with an account level tied to how much you've earned. But Epic floats plans for "new social features and player rewards", suggesting there may be more goodies in store for folks with XP to burn.

Eh, the last couple of PC games I bought were on EGS. Specifically, Kena and Behind the Frame.

I do have zero idea how you all have so much time you're scooping up multiple games at the same time on a fairly regular basis that the lack of a shopping cart becomes a problem. Do any of you all actually beat the games you buy?

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Eh, the last couple of PC games I bought were on EGS. Specifically, Kena and Behind the Frame.

I do have zero idea how you all have so much time you're scooping up multiple games at the same time on a fairly regular basis that the lack of a shopping cart becomes a problem. Do any of you all actually beat the games you buy?

So when EGS  runs their sales you only buy one game during the sale for cheap?

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So when EGS  runs their sales you only buy one game during the sale for cheap?

If I buy one at all. I don't normally buy a bunch of games I might want to play later, even if they're on my wishlist and on sale. Money is more valuable to me today than sitting in a unused games library. I don't normally buy games until I'm ready to play them. Even Metroid Dread, which I've been waiting for decades for, I didn't buy until this week since it comes out on Friday.

Unless the game is a day one purchase for me, it can usually wait.

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I buy multiple games all the time. Like just this morning, as a matter of fact.

trLMm8S.png

And no, I don't beat them all. Why would I? Play games to have fun, not to "beat" them.

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I buy multiple games all the time. Like just this morning, as a matter of fact.

trLMm8S.png

And no, I don't beat them all. Why would I? Play games to have fun, not to "beat" them.

Oh, I drop games I'm not enjoying all the time. I think I mentioned elsewhere around here. I bet often drop games, even if I'm like 50 hours in.

I meant to ask if anyone is actually playing all the games they buy. I swear I saw some numbers a while back that the majority of people's Steam backlogs were unplayed games.

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

If I buy one at all. I don't normally buy a bunch of games I might want to play later, even if they're on my wishlist and on sale. Money is more valuable to me today than sitting in a unused games library. I don't normally buy games until I'm ready to play them. Even Metroid Dread, which I've been waiting for decades for, I didn't buy until this week since it comes out on Friday.

Unless the game is a day one purchase for me, it can usually wait.

Well a lot of people wait for a sale. Usually the sale runs for a limited time and you pick up a handful of cheap games you’ve been waiting for on sale. Not a waste of money if you’re getting like 8 games for $40 rather than waiting and for the next sale or buying it at a higher price.

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I meant to ask if anyone is actually playing all the games they buy. I swear I saw some numbers a while back that the majority of people's Steam backlogs were unplayed games.

Bundles are a thing on PC. Many times you can still get a better-than-sale price of a game you'd want when its packaged with a half dozen others.  Not to mention giveaways happen all the time, and the marketplace can be gamed for free credit.

It takes very little money to amass a huge PC library, if you've got the patience.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well a lot of people wait for a sale. Usually the sale runs for a limited time and you pick up a handful of cheap games you’ve been waiting for on sale. Not a waste of money if you’re getting like 8 games for $40 rather than waiting and for the next sale or buying it at a higher price.

I totally get that, but to me, if I can wait untill there's a sale then I can wait until I actually have time to play it. I'd rather spend $5 on the game I'm playing now and keep $35 in my wallet than spend the $40 today for games I might not touch until a couple months down the road. I usually only really have the time to play a small handful of games every month.

It just comes across to me as one of those random excuses people g6ave to hate EGS. Like the biggest problem isn't that you don't want to segment your library between Steam and EGS, it's that Epic doesn't let you give them a a more money?

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Bundles are a thing on PC. Many times you can still get a better-than-sale price of a game you'd want when its packaged with a half dozen others.  Not to mention giveaways happen all the time, and the marketplace can be gamed for free credit.

It takes very little money to amass a huge PC library, if you've got the patience.

I buy Humble Bundles all the time. I most recently picked up the latest Humble VR Bundle. Between EGS free games, Humble Bundle, and the Xbox Game Pass, it's wildly inexpensive to have access to a huge library of PC games. I picked it up mainly for A Fisherman's Tale and Paper Beast. Paper Beast has been my big VR game lately. Fisherman's Tale will follow it, though I didn't realize it wouldn't be a very easy to play while seated until after I gave it a try. Toddlers make standing VR games tricky. I have smacked a few kids playing Superhot.

6 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It just comes across to me as one of those random excuses people g6ave to hate EGS. Like the biggest problem isn't that you don't want to segment your library between Steam and EGS, it's that Epic doesn't let you give them a a more money?

I think it's more they tried to muscle their way in as a competitor without giving a fraction of features from their competitors. If you want our money give us a reason to spend money there. So far the most compelling reason they have is yearly exclusive deals which I'm like you, I can wait a year!

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think it's more they tried to muscle their way in as a competitor without giving a fraction of features from their competitors. If you want our money give us a reason to spend money there. So far the most compelling reason they have is yearly exclusive deals which I'm like you, I can wait a year!

To me the most compelling reason is the larger cut for devs. I don't really care it's not altruist because, in the end, less money is going to the platform. I mean, I'll also buy games directly from the publisher if given the chance. I have no problems buying a game on itch.io for the same reason.

20 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Most of that money goes to already rich publishers and CEOs, that's not compelling to me.

Ehhhhhh...by that token, may as well just torrent every game you can. That's splitting hairs between the rich assholes at Valve versus the rich assholes at 505 Games. What of obviously small, self published games like Kena? What already rich CEO is just going to pocket that extra EGS cut out to Ember Lab?

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

What of obviously small, self published games like Kena?

They made a lot of profit off of taking exclusive deals and Playstation doesn't have the same cut so this isn't such a great example.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

What already rich CEO is just going to pocket that extra EGS cut out to Ember Lab?

If it's one guy then obviously it's going to the Devs and they are choosing exclusive money over profits from a larger audience. They are profitable without your help.

47 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They made a lot of profit off of taking exclusive deals and Playstation doesn't have the same cut so this isn't such a great example.

If it's one guy then obviously it's going to the Devs and they are choosing exclusive money over profits from a larger audience. They are profitable without your help.

Like I said, if I'm going to spend money on something, I'd rather as much of it go to the people that make the something. If it's just going to some rich assholes, I don't see why Valve deserves it more than the publishers and devs.

I'm not against double dipping on games, either. I've always felt that we should support the games we want to see being made, so at some point money has to leave my hands and go to someone else's or else it just becomes some giant scam and the devs I want to see succeed are the ones going to be left feeling the brunt of it.

It's ok to just say you don't want your PC games library to be split up. At that point, nothing would get you to buy a game from anyone else outside of someone giving you, like, a free copy of every game in your Stream library. That's perfectly valid. All my friends are here is also pretty valid. That's a big reason why people have a hard time jumping from a Sony console to a Microsoft one.

The whole "oh no, there's no shopping cart" or "oh no, there aren't any achievements" kind of rings hollow. Like, if EGS was feature for feature exactly the same as Steam, would you buy games given they're the same price on both platforms? I'm thinking that's very unlikely for anyone complaining about shopping carts.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's ok to just say you don't want your PC games library to be split up.

For single player stuff, it really shouldn't matter, at all.  Anyone not using a catch all launcher/aggregator is missing out.

There's so much free stuff everywhere.  So why not just present it as one big library?