Gungrave G.O.R.E. (11/22) - Day One on Game Pass, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

• 8 months later...

I was definitely a fan of the first two games, Gungrave and Gungrave: Overdose on the PS2. They were really fun, though short, stylized arcade shoot em ups that didn't get the credit they deserved at the time. The anime was also a lot of fun and great for its time too, and as a fan of Yasuhiro Nightow and Trigun, I enjoyed having his character designs and stylistic contributions made to both the games and anime.

However, while I was initially excited at the announcement of the resuscitating of the Gungrave brand, the initially released Gungrave VR game, and its expansion Gungrave VR: U.N were blasted by reviewers as being really bad which doesn't bode well for this game, Gungrave: G.O.R.E at all (anyone play either VR game?). However, those were VR games and this isn't, which I think helps. Will wait until reviews but if its good I hope the game gets the attention it deserves.

• 2 months later...
  • Brian changed the title to Gungrave G.O.R.E. - Releasing 11/22 - Day One on Game Pass

I think the most interesting aspect of this game is the developer brought on Ikumi Nakamura on to the project, the former artist for The Evil Within games and the former director of Ghostwire: Tokyo. Could make the game better than we think it will be.

KztiQeDWqRddibFidASsKS-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Sporting a visual style that's a bit different (though no less ridiculous) than Yasuhiro Nightow's original vision.

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think the most interesting aspect of this game is the developer brought on Ikumi Nakamura on to the project, the former artist for The Evil Within games and the former director of Ghostwire: Tokyo. Could make the game better than we think it will be.

KztiQeDWqRddibFidASsKS-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Sporting a visual style that's a bit different (though no less ridiculous) than Yasuhiro Nightow's original vision.

okay now I’m interested!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Greatoneshere You play this?

I just checked out the first two levels, it definitely seems fitting or it’s 60meta. Haven’t seen enemy’s just standing there and shooting like that in a long time lol.

But depending on what you are looking for, could be fine! This is a Dreamcast ass Dreamcast game. Would definitely believe someone if they told me it was a graphics only remake of a Dreamcast original. 

I might play more because it is a nod to that era of arcade shoot ‘em up that was short lived but man that’s some balls to release this is 2022!

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, stepee said:

@Greatoneshere You play this?

I just checked out the first two levels, it definitely seems fitting or it’s 60meta. Haven’t seen enemy’s just standing there and shooting like that in a long time lol.

But depending on what you are looking for, could be fine! This is a Dreamcast ass Dreamcast game. Would definitely believe someone if they told me it was a graphics only remake of a Dreamcast original. 

I might play more because it is a nod to that era of arcade shoot ‘em up that was short lived but man that’s some balls to release this is 2022!

I have not yet but I am super interested in impressions. Dreamcast-type game actually sounds good to me - are you liking it so far?

22 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I have not yet but I am super interested in impressions. Dreamcast-type game actually sounds good to me - are you liking it so far?

I think it’s kinda fun in a throw back sorta way, I might play more but it sounds like it’s probably too long at like 10 hours for this sorta thing. It’s definitely a very simple straight forward arcade game with a high score/combo focus. I never played the other ones, but I’m guessing they are exactly like this! 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I think it’s kinda fun in a throw back sorta way, I might play more but it sounds like it’s probably too long at like 10 hours for this sorta thing. It’s definitely a very simple straight forward arcade game with a high score/combo focus. I never played the other ones, but I’m guessing they are exactly like this! 

Your description absolutely sounds like the older games. I'm curious what mass reviews will say.

Game Information

Game Title: Gungrave G.O.R.E

Platforms:

• PC (Nov 22, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 22, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 22, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Nov 22, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 22, 2022)

Developer:  Iggymob Co.,Ltd

Publisher:  Prime Matter

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 60 average - 19% recommended

Critic Reviews

GAMES.CH - German - 84%

Grave just works better as an undead one-man army. But maybe "Gungrave: G.O.R.E" is so successful that one or the other participant could come up with the idea of bringing a phantom buried two decades ago back to life.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.1 / 10

A gothic and bloody old-style TPS with massive explosions and BIG guns. It doesn't have the charisma of Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, and its gameplay is partially flawed by some annoying issues... but you won't regret the time you'll spend with it.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4 / 5

I'll be honest, I've never played a Gungrave game, but I knew they were synonymous with action. Gungrave G.O.R.E is the continuation of the past games with better gameplay, better graphics, lots of action, more action, and bad guys who constantly curse at you. But you know what? It's pure fun, and I'm all about that.

TrueAchievements - 8 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E proves that keeping with a series' core elements, no matter how old, can be a positive weapon to use when bringing an older franchise back to the masses. Its arcade-style gameplay loops offer quick ten-minute bursts of explosive action that are thrilling to play out while challenging to master at higher difficulties or chasing top ranks. Iggymob has created a game that brings nostalgic PS2-era mechanics to the latest generation of consoles and Xbox Game Pass, and you should definitely check it out. Grave remains the badass hero we need in our lives.

33bits - Spanish - 75 / 100

Gungrave G.O.R.E pays too much attention to its origins, as it feels and plays like a PlayStation 2 title. Despite its problems such as poor stage design, lackluster control and poorly measured difficulty, all of this is overshadowed by a frenetic and addictive gameplay that makes it a pleasure to continue playing, If we are fans of the anime style and nostalgic for previous generations, this is our game.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 75 / 100

Grave returns from the grave with an action-packed hack & slash adventure. Maybe graphically it is not what we expect for 2022, but it is perfectly enjoyable

INVEN - Korean - 7.5 / 10

An attractive action game that you don't have to worry about reloading the gun. The participation of Yasuhiro Naito, who created the original character design, resulted in an attractive reincarnation of Grave. While the game has various combat gimmicks that spice up the battle, a story that you may not follow if you are not familiar to the original IP and repetitive stage composition may be felt awkward for some players.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

Solid and definitely have an audience. There could be some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

FingerGuns - 7 / 10

Negatives aside, Gungrave G.O.R.E is a blast when it gets going. The cutscenes are over the top, as are the bosses and the main baddies of the piece. If you can put up with the archaic rust that comes with old-fashioned games, there is fun to be had in here.

Niche Gamer - 7 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E. is the ultimate guilty pleasure. It is the kind of brutal and simplistic action game that helps stressed and frustrated gamers release some steam. It is mind-numbing in excess, but is very satisfying in short bursts.

PlayStation Universe - 7 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E. has been a long time coming; in many ways, this is the game fans of the franchise have been waiting for. It may not be the best game on the market regarding visual and audio design, but the gameplay makes up for that. What may seem like a repetitive shooter quickly becomes a frantic and strategic battle against hordes of enemies. Gungrave G.O.R.E. is a brutal game, but I would be amiss to admit that I loved almost every minute of my time with it. It's not for everybody, but those who take the time to appreciate its mechanics may find something special in this latest franchise entry.

WellPlayed - 7 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E is a thorough examination of what games offered us before they transformed into 40-hour cinematic masterpieces. While its appeal may not be broad enough to interest everyone, it establishes itself as a love letter to a time when your gaming experience was absolutely about bombastic style, personal fantasy and massive high scores.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 65 / 100

Gungrave G.O.R.E. is an action game "like before", exactly like those of the PS2 era, and it shows in everything from graphics to control. It is an "old" game, niche, but it does not stop having its audience, charm and ability to entertain. If the Gungrave series is your thing, you're going to enjoy it. The rest, maybe not so much.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 65 / 100

Gungrave G.O.R.E was a title that surprised positively, but ended up disappointing. It is certainly a recommendation for when it is at a more affordable price and, above all, for the public that likes intense action and has an open mind to accept the game's flaws. Frankly, we hope to see more titles in the series eventually and that it utilizes the full potential demonstrated in G.O.R.E.

Wccftech - 6.5 / 10

While the game can be fun at points, its archaic and dated design choices can make for an overall frustrating experience. Its combat doesn't require much thought, and the game can be "difficult" for the wrong reasons. Still, it's high points are still noteworthy highlights for the overall experience, and when everything works properly, you do feel as badass as the main character is supposed to be.

COGconnected - 60 / 100

Almost nothing about Gungrave G.O.R.E. feels like it was released in 2022. By sticking so closely to the original, it inherits all the faults of the PlayStation 2 game. It’s short, repetitive and while the combat system remains a highlight, it’s surrounded by story, mechanics, sound and art that somehow still feel dated and aren’t much fun compared to so many other, better action games. There are many devotees of the original, but I think they might be disappointed. However, if you’re a fan of chaotic third person shooters you might find Gungrave G.O.R.E. entertaining for a few minutes. Just don’t expect the fun to last.

Chalgyr's Game Room - 6 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E. feels like one of those games that would have felt right at home in an arcade years ago. The action’s borderline unrelenting, and some of the cheaper, more annoying hordes of characters almost feel like they were made for eating someone’s quarters.

Characters look interesting and creative early on, but like the gameplay become repetitive fairly early into things, which is a shame since there are a lot of beautifully realized if linear environments that feel more like they are meant to be ‘gotten through’ instead of enjoyed and explored.

Gungrave G.O.R.E. has some rewarding moments here and there, but it’s a relatively average game that is likely only to appeal to hardcore fans of action games of the source material.

GameBlast - Portuguese - 6 / 10

For a game in its niche, Gungrave G.O.R.E is all it really promises. The problem is not getting out of that comfort zone. The fact that I'm part of the niche (and I particularly liked the result), doesn't mean that everyone should do it.

GamesHub - 3 / 5

There’s always more blood on the horizon, making Gungrave G.O.R.E. feel like a break-neck romp with little room to move or breathe along the way. While dotted with moments of joy and violent freedom, the action of the game quickly devolves to repetition – making it a largely enjoyable romp, but one that only rarely makes a meaningful impact.

God is a Geek - 6 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E isn't a bad game at heart. It's a clear ode to the PS2 era, with almost no modern trappings at all.

Hardcore Gamer - 3 / 5

Gungrave G.

IGN - 6 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E oozes style and has a fantastic combat system, but a lack of variety, aggravating difficulty spikes, and often-frustrating design decisions keep it from reaching its full potential.

Siliconera - 6 / 10

Rise up as Beyond the Grave, an undead super soldier bent on destroying the nefarious Raven Clan. Take your revenge by shooting your way through Southeast Asia's toughest crime dens. PS5 version reviewed.

XboxEra - 6 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E. is a game with few strengths and many flaws.

Worth Playing - 5.9 / 10

I don't want to close with the impression that I had a bad time with Gungrave G.O.R.E. I didn't. But I didn't have a memorable one, either. It was a nice bit of action nostalgia for a short while, but in a world where less glitzy action titles feature so much more depth, agility or even wit, Gungrave G.O.R.E. will have a tough time separating itself from all of the bullet-fare that's out there.

IGN Italy - Italian - 5.5 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E. tries to build up upon nostalgia and good old times with a gameplay which is basically the same of the old chapters. The result feels... well, out of time.

AltChar - 50 / 100

Gungrave G.O.R.E should've stayed in the 2000s. Its simplistic design doesn't work in the modern day of video games where similar action titles offer much more than just brutal combat. G.O.R.E lacks depth in almost every single way. Its level design is stuck in the past, visuals are outdated and gameplay just doesn't do enough to make this a title worth your time.

AnaitGames - Spanish - 5 / 10

An unexpected sequel that respects its PS2 origins perhaps too much, stumbling more than necessary in its own ways and manias.

Checkpoint Gaming - 5 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E is overall a bit of a misfire, and evidence that some franchises should stay in the early 2000s. The game is a spectacle action game that has failed to learn anything meaningful from 20 years of game design evolution, from the importance of having an interesting or charismatic lead to gameplay which gives the player options and which evolves over time. The levels show a strong disposition towards dark and grey, and the plot won't do much to engage you either. If you're a diehard Gungrave fan who has been longingly awaiting the franchise's revival, there might be something for you here; for anyone else, there are far better offerings out there.

Digital Trends - 2.5 / 5

Gungrave G.O.R.E delivers on the run-and-gun, stylish action with a modern PS2-like coat of paint that you'll either love or hate.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 5 / 10

The exhumation of a saga that already twenty years ago failed to break into the hearts of players turns out to be a bit empty, like the coffin that Grave carries on his shoulders: the developers of Iggymob offer an extremely simple experience through a third-person shooter with basic mechanics, fixed on shooting on repeat to mow down waves upon waves of defenseless enemies.

GameSpew - 5 / 10

If you’re a fan of the series and you can hack constantly pulling the right trigger as you slowly push forward through linear environments, there’s some fun to be found in Gungrave G.O.R.E, for sure. But for most, it’ll prove to be too repetitive. There’s simply not enough variety to be found in this action-packed third-person shooter. Eventually it begins to feel like a test of your endurance rather than your gaming skills.

GamingBolt - 5 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E's fleeting moments of fun and carnage are buried beneath a mountain of issues, including a bland story, repetitive and overly simplistic gameplay, cumbersome and clunky movement and controls, and more. This isn't an old school game- it's just old.

NookGaming - 5 / 10

I needed to love Gungrave G.O.R.E. It's exactly my kind of thing as a sequel to two of my favorite "AA" titles from the PS2 era. Full of shooting and over-the-top anime action scenes, this game was penned to be my niche experience of the year. Unfortunately, it lacks the soul of the previous games. Instead, it has been padded out to an unenjoyable slog, where the endearing jank because egregious and the simple yet engaging gameplay is spread that thin it reaches new levels of repetition and annoyance.

Fans of Gungrave will find enjoyment here. It just needs to be in small doses. Otherwise, the realization that this is kind of a cheap, soulless cash-in kicks in too quickly and you're left wishing the series hadn't been resurrected.

Press Start - 5 / 10

There is some joy in the mindless blasting, but overall G.O.R.E. is a messy, repetitive experience that could have used a bit more time in the oven.

The Beta Network - 5 / 10

I can’t remember the last time I played a game that was as linear and repetitive as this, but Gungrave G.O.R.E really takes the boredom cake. Yes, there are some cool mechanics like reflecting rockets and using soldiers as meat shields, but unless you enjoy mindlessly shooting thugs for days, it’s best to steer clear.

Dexerto - 2 / 5

Those looking for more Gungrave or even that nostalgic wave of something similar to it will be most delighted – as I was. It pains me to criticize something that is clearly made with love and adoration, and I hope that Iggymob gets another chance in the future.

Gamer Escape - 4 / 10

It’s been a very long time since I’ve played a truly bad game, and unfortunately, Gungrave G.O.R.E falls into that category. The further I progressed through the game, the less I wanted to play it. That’s not something I’ve found myself feeling in years, and that’s saying something. For as much as I wanted this to succeed, every attempt at grasping for a modicum of decent gameplay was met with the most tedium I’ve met in a game this year. It feels like a game defrosted from 2005, and not in a good way.

Hey Poor Player - 2 / 5

I played Gungrave G.O.R.E with zero knowledge of the franchise, and I reckon that is for the better. I would be infinitely more disappointed going into this game as a diehard fan of the series and seeing what a disservice G.O.R.E does to the Gungrave name. It’s astonishing to see Iggymob charging $50 for a low-budget, niche game riddled with unoriginal gameplay, multiple soft-locks, atrocious level design, and laughable voice acting.

Kakuchopurei - 40 / 100

It's amazing how this 2022 follow-up ended up being a huge downgrade that didn't learn & improve jack from a pair of its prequels made 20 years ago; that really takes talent. Yasuhiro Nightow's cool-as-heck series deserves better than Gungrave G.O.R.E.

Push Square - 4 / 10

If you're someone who heard "a new Gungrave" and got excited, this is a game for you. For what it's worth, it nails that. It genuinely feels like a lost PS2 game, and that's the kind of thing we love. Although, the original game had the benefit of only being around two hours long, while G.O.R.E. clocks in at about 12. However, we can't in good faith recommend someone to spend £45 on this, outside of those with an affinity for the series.

Digitally Downloaded - 1.5 / 5

I was really looking forward to Gungrave G.O.R.E. While I’m not deeply invested in the series, I enjoyed Gungrave: Overdose on the PlayStation 2 as an entertaingly trashy B-action exprerience. Unfortunately, while I do admire the attempt to give players the power fantasy of playing as a guy so utterly, brutally powerful that he can calmly walk through a bullet ballet, Gungrave G.O.R.E burns its goodwill far too quickly and from there it’s too exhausting to bother with.

TechRaptor - 3 / 10

Gungrave G.O.R.E promises to shake you to your Gungrave core, but mostly ends up as a Gungrave chore. Before long I was Gungrave bored of the Gungrave lore and my trigger finger was Gungrave sore. Here's hoping they can fix things up if we see a Gungrave four.

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

Maybe Gungrave G.O.R.E. It may not be one of the best games of the year, but it cannot be denied that it is quite fun and addictive, which is not something that always happens, even with bigger budget titles. If you are a fan of the first two games or you loved the anime, it is your moment to continue with the adventures of Grave...

Entertainium - Liked

Gungrave G.O.R.E. is the kind of game that is going to appeal to two different groups of people: Fans of the original two games, or people nostalgic for this particular style of bullet hell third-person shooter. Returnal in 2021 is an example of this kind of game done in a modernized format with some Roguelike elements, while Gungrave G.O.R.E. deliberately eschews any modernization in an effort of being an authentic, era-appropriate experience. If you’re in the mood for some over-the-top action and can stomach some repetitive shooting, Gungrave G.O.R.E. will satisfy that itch.

Expansive - Liked

Gungrave G.O.R.E does well enough with its gunplay and action, keeping itself suitably arcadey and enjoyable, and that’s when the game is at its best. But movement is annoyingly staggered, visuals are washed out and the varied mission types are usually misses, ending up frustrating pretty sharpish with unfair victory conditions.

One More Game - Wait

As a fan of the series, I really looked forward to Gungrave G.O.R.E but was left disappointed by the experience. While the DNA of Gungrave was present, it really lacked some of the crucial aspects that made the previous games fun and entertaining.

Gungrave G.O.R.E isn’t exactly a bad game, but there are some decisions here that make it feel frustrating and stuck in the past, which is sad because there’s much that could have been done here thanks to the advancements in technology over the years.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gungrave G.O.R.E. (11/22) - Day One on Game Pass, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted