shoplifting

Remarkableriots

Companies have historically not supported their employees when their employees engage with shoplifters. My understanding is that they don't want to be liable for medical costs incurred by the employee, or for lawsuits filed by the alleged thief. In this day and age, an employee has no incentive to disrupt a thief at the store as the company will often not have his or her back.

I'm not sure this is anything new. I think that news reports about it are more responsible for perpetuating it than anything else. I applied for a grocery security job over 20 years ago and they told us in the pre-training that we were never to put our hands on a customer. We were to confront them verbally and call the police. They also suggested that we stand in their way if they try to leave, but that's it. You weren't allowed to touch them.

He apparently didn't catch that part of the training video. I worked there for maybe 3 months in 2000/2001 and even I remember this. My friend works at a camera store in Manhattan and they have a policy to not even say anything if they see someone walk out and he said it happens often.

Not related to shoplifting but related to being liable for something.

I was working on New Years Eve I believe several years ago and this older lady came down to the lobby. She said she needed help because her friend fell down and couldn't get up. Well that is the material her nightgown was made of made it slick and she slid off the bed. Well I went up to help. She wasn't injured she was just on the floor and needed someone to help her stand up so with her friend and I lifted her up. She was very grateful and said, "oh we got the right one" and then I left. Later I let my boss know because I believe I had to call him for something else. In any case he said I shouldn't have done that because I'm not trained or whatever and if she got hurt we could be in trouble so instead I was supposed to call the paramedics and let her sit on the ground. That sounds somewhat embarrassing, humiliating and a total waste of time for everyone involved but that is the "right thing" to do.