EA CEO: New Battlefield will be revealed in June as true next-gen game (EDIT: jk it's cross-gen)

SaysWho?

• SaysWho? changed the title to EA CEO: New Battlefield will be revealed in June as true next-gen game (EDIT: jk it's cross-gen)

The trouble with it being cross gen is that if the game really is taking advantage of next gen hardware, and really making great advances for the franchise, the old gen might be severely hampered and downgraded to the point that it's basically unplayable, and no one will want to play it, leading to low sales of those versions, and pretty much being a waste of time, money, and other resources that EA could have spent elsewhere. On the flip side, if the game runs great on the old hardware, then we'll be left wondering how much the game was held back, and how much better it could have been if it had been next gen only. It's a no win situation. Should just be next gen only. 

Sometimes I'd say not doing last-gen is leaving money on the table (RE8 is selling better on PS4 in Europe over all platforms except the PS5, which accounts for half of all sales), but looking at sales of Miles Morales, as an example, shows that many people will just wait to play the next-gen version.

Dunno how Sackboy fares since it's more family fare and kids may not notice as much, but 720p on PS4 is a bit too much for a game I'd buy nowadays that wasn't made a long time ago. 

The "true" start to this generation will be delayed until sometime in 2022, so this doesn't surprise me. Yes, select 1st party titles will defy that last statement but they be in the vast minority. for most developers, true next gen starts with things like UE5 games built from the ground up. So for now, next gen just means bigger budgets. 

5 hours ago, Brick said:

The trouble with it being cross gen is that if the game really is taking advantage of next gen hardware, and really making great advances for the franchise, the old gen might be severely hampered and downgraded to the point that it's basically unplayable, and no one will want to play it, leading to low sales of those versions, and pretty much being a waste of time, money, and other resources that EA could have spent elsewhere. On the flip side, if the game runs great on the old hardware, then we'll be left wondering how much the game was held back, and how much better it could have been if it had been next gen only. It's a no win situation. Should just be next gen only. 

Battlefield V played just fine on last gen consoles, it just wasnt very good.

I honestly don't know how much "bigger" the game could get. Some of those maps were huge, barren landscapes and were really fuckin boring. EA still wants to go with "bigger is better" when tons of fans are calling for a Bad Company 3, the sequel to a fan favorite game that had smaller, tighter maps.

I really don't think EA is in touch with reality anymore. I don't have high hopes for this.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Guess it makes sense that it's cross gen. They aren't going to turn their back on all of those millions upon millions of ps4/xbox consoles. Still disappointing. 

This is my very reason I'm not moving on to next gen. No reason too for at least 2 years lol. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The "true" start to this generation will be delayed until sometime in 2022, so this doesn't surprise me. Yes, select 1st party titles will defy that last statement but they be in the vast minority. for most developers, true next gen starts with things like UE5 games built from the ground up. So for now, next gen just means bigger budgets. 

And this, too.

34 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Battlefield V played just fine on last gen consoles, it just wasnt very good.

I honestly don't know how much "bigger" the game could get. Some of those maps were huge, barren landscapes and were really fuckin boring. EA still wants to go with "bigger is better" when tons of fans are calling for a Bad Company 3, the sequel to a fan favorite game that had smaller, tighter maps.

I really don't think EA is in touch with reality anymore. I don't have high hopes for this.

Battlefield V on last gen as in the PS4 and XBone? Yeah sure it ran fine on them because it was designed for those machines. If Battlefield 6 is designed for the PS5 and XBSX to take advantage of the leap in tech the PS4 and XBone will suffer because they won't be able to keep up, and to get them to work well they'll have major sacrifices (things like 48 players instead of 64, 720p, 30 fps, no single player (not that anyone cares about single player), etc.). 

Battlefield 4 came out on the 360 and PS3 when it came out with the launches of the PS4 and XBone, but it was by far the inferior version.