Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

Vasco is ok in combat. It defaults to melee too often and ends up getting in your way. 

9 hours ago, Biggie said:

you think Starfield is shit?

not entirely. I’ll go with a junk food analogy though, like this person did. Starfield is a huge box of assorted Doritos, where most of the bags are just plain corn Doritos, but every bag is 80% air and the flavoring isn’t even coating every chip. So even when you find a flavor you like there’s just not enough. 

I recently found out that Starfield has just 1 credited writer. And boy does that make things make sense. Why every quest or mission feels like a “first draft” outline of something that could have been great. 

Did the Mantis side quest and got a big armor upgrade and a new ship! I’m definitely enjoying this, it’s pretty much what I expected. Fallout in space with better combat but no vats. I like having a decent third person camera option too. Also i love having the jet boost. Do you ever get a slow motion ability and if so what perks do I want to level up to get that?

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Did the Mantis side quest and got a big armor upgrade and a new ship! I’m definitely enjoying this, it’s pretty much what I expected. Fallout in space with better combat but no vats. I like having a decent third person camera option too. Also i love having the jet boost. Do you ever get a slow motion ability and if so what perks do I want to level up to get that?

Not sure about slow mo. The perks I hit early in was the one that made using digipicks easier to unlock things and of course the weapons like pistols, rifles, shotguns, etc. to make them more powerful.  Also health. There are a ton of perks to choose from. 

Got three more artifacts and visiting this cowboy town now with Sam before I head back to the lodge. Getting tons of loot since I don’t have a carry limit and it’s great. So far the game hasn’t stopped me from doing whatever I want to do without engaging in whatever I don’t want to do so it’s working out well!

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Got three more artifacts and visiting this cowboy town now with Sam before I head back to the lodge. Getting tons of loot since I don’t have a carry limit and it’s great. So far the game hasn’t stopped me from doing whatever I want to do without engaging in whatever I don’t want to do so it’s working out well!

What are your thoughts on the meat puppet NPC's? I think it's pretty inexcusable this gen but maybe I'm wrong? I know others here didn't like it when I pointed it out. 

37 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What are your thoughts on the meat puppet NPC's? I think it's pretty inexcusable this gen but maybe I'm wrong? I know others here didn't like it when I pointed it out. 

Do you just mean how the animation is bad and their geometry isnt up to other AAA’s? I mean, they aren’t great for sure. They are definitely a lot better than previous Bethesda games but still behind pretty much everyone else.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Do you just mean how the animation is bad and their geometry isnt up to other AAA’s? I mean, they aren’t great for sure. They are definitely a lot better than previous Bethesda games but still behind pretty much everyone else.

No. On consoles the majority of the NPC'S look scary. Like mutants. 

Just now, best3444 said:

No. On consoles the majority of the NPC'S look scary. Like mutants. 

Oh idk, I haven’t really felt that here. They look decent enough if it were say an AA game, just bad for a production this expensive. I think my MC is kinda cute. Noel too.

Just now, stepee said:

Oh idk, I haven’t really felt that here. They look decent enough if it were say an AA game, just bad for a production this expensive. I think my MC is kinda cute. Noel too.

Oh, the main characters are fine. But ok, maybe I was too critical of the mutated puppets. Overall, awesome game and I'm glad you're finally playing. 

Yeah, I mean, again I agree they are pretty low rent for this scale of production but it’s not a big deal to me. This scratches that FO itch that hardly any other games do and this one is space so yeah I’m digging it. I really like the environmental look of the game though.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Oh, the main characters are fine. But ok, maybe I was too critical of the mutated puppets. Overall, awesome game and I'm glad you're finally playing. 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, I mean, again I agree they are pretty low rent for this scale of production but it’s not a big deal to me. This scratches that FO itch that hardly any other games do and this one is space so yeah I’m digging it. I really like the environmental look of the game though.

Is it because they run the same engine they have for years?

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Is it because they run the same engine they have for years?

Na, they could have better models in the game if they wanted to and I’m sure modders will do it for them at some point. For whatever reason it’s not just in their priorities. Compared to other AAA studios, Beth has always been relatively lower staffed. Maybe a combination of MS owning them now and technology like metahuman can finally change that for their next game. 

A lot of games are on the basis of some ancient old ass engine but game engine’s are highly modular. COD runs on the 90s Quake3 engine still. And Bethesda showed CE2 can be heavily updated to look modern in terms of lighting and environmental detail. 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Na, they could have better models in the game if they wanted to and I’m sure modders will do it for them at some point. For whatever reason it’s not just in their priorities. Compared to other AAA studios, Beth has always been relatively lower staffed. Maybe a combination of MS owning them now and technology like metahuman can finally change that for their next game. 

A lot of games are on the basis of some ancient old ass engine but game engine’s are highly modular. COD runs on the 90s Quake3 engine still. And Bethesda showed CE2 can be heavily updated to look modern in terms of lighting and environmental detail. 

I hope Elder Scrolls 6 is amazing. 

I was just barely not too lazy to install the Luma mod to get actual hdr10 working here. Really glad I did. Looks so much better especially on oled where you expect actual black levels! Definitely worth doing and it’s cool that the mod just adds the new options into the actual in-game menu.

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

Do you think we get ES6 this gen?

Depends if the rumors of Xbox starting their next gen in 2026 are true or not! If true, then not a chance. If not true, probably cross gen but maybeeee during the last year of this gen.

• Halal 1

The random NPCs are likely ugly due to procedural generation. 

so I watched a video recently explaining that modders found that the worlds and instances use the ship as a central point to spawn everything around. Because of this even if you connect multiple tiles on a planet to make the explorable area vastly larger eventually the area with the ship will despawn causing the game to crash. This is so fundamental to how the game loads everything, that it is basically in the core of how the game was built. Full or even larger scale exploration of a planet just isn’t possible without a complete rebuild of key game’s systems. 

I wonder if some similar constraints prevents real time intrasystem travel. 

Saw a ship land in the distance as I was headed to an artifact and detoured over to see what it was. Decided it was my ship now so I boarded and took out the crew and I was right it’s mine now. I like this game a lot.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Saw a ship land in the distance as I was headed to an artifact and detoured over to see what it was. Decided it was my ship now so I boarded and took out the crew and I was right it’s mine now. I like this game a lot.

See, I did that too but the ship was locked up. I even killed the crew that came off the ramp. I think Keyser told me you could do that but it didn't work for me. 

Yes, the game has its flaws but it's pure Bethesda fun. 

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Don't just stand on alien planets. Stomp on 'em.

One of the things I really don't get about Starfield is the whole mech situation. Mechs are everywhere. There's a bunch of lore about mechs being used in the Colony Wars that took place decades earlier. There are mechs you can look at in factories and junkyards and museums. There was even a shot of a player walking past a mech shown in one of Starfield's early gameplay trailers, and an animated trailer heavily featured them.

But you can't actually climb into a mech and pilot it in Starfield (explained in the lore as a ban on mechs since the end of the war). When it comes to mechs, Bethesda decided you can look but you can't touch. And you definitely can't ride. I guess my question is: why, tho?

The good news is a modder named Jared Kohr is doing something Bethesda probably should have done in the first place. Check out the video below of Kohr's mod in progress that will actually let you climb inside a towering mech and go for a stomp on the surface of a planet:

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

See, I did that too but the ship was locked up. I even killed the crew that came off the ramp. I think Keyser told me you could do that but it didn't work for me. 

Yes, the game has its flaws but it's pure Bethesda fun. 

Yeah it’s a game where I can see its flaws and limitations and get what people complain about (for the most part, some people are just unrealistic or want a more sim like game that I would personally hate) but I’m too busy having fun to care all that much.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Sarah is a fucking wet blanket though, drier than some of the desert planets we explore. I like taking Barret or Andreja with me.

Barret is funny and Andreja has better dialogue. I do like how the ally NPC'S actually help in combat. I remember Sarah unloading on guys for me.