A Remedy developer on Control discusses the challenges of cross-gen development for the new consoles, especially the Series S

Commissar SFLUFAN

What is everyone's opinion on the Xbox Series S? I wish they just put out the Series X so that developers had an easier time with just dealing with the 2 consoles to work with. The under powered S just makes things complicated. I don't see the appeal of the S either other than the price. 

It just caused confusion at launch and now developers have to deal with it. They'll figure it our but it's probably slowing everything down. Plus covid....

My brother bought the S and was almost immediately looking to get the X. I think the Bethesda announcement was also a factor into that decision. I wouldn’t go the S and glad I waited out and got my X a few days ago. You want true next gen, gotta pay a little extra for it

54 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What is everyone's opinion on the Xbox Series S? I wish they just put out the Series X so that developers had an easier time with just dealing with the 2 consoles to work with. The under powered S just makes things complicated. I don't see the appeal of the S either other than the price. 

It just caused confusion at launch and now developers have to deal with it. They'll figure it our but it's probably slowing everything down. Plus covid....

If you only game in 1080 then I'm sure it's fine for now. That said, bu mid gen it will have some truly terrible version of the biggest games. 

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

I wish they didn't release it so it wasn't a thing developers had to be limited by, unless MS lets developers drop support for it, in which case it's fine I guess.

That said, since it does exist I will buy one for the sole reason of letting my wife play Fable 2 again since it's her favorite game (well, that or Fable 1) and our 360 is long dead.