Valheim - Ashlands Major Update Released

JPDunks4

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • JPDunks4 changed the title to Valheim - Ashlands Major Update Released

Does anyone know... I had a started a dedicated server game with a few buddies. Will the update just automatically incorporate into that? Or no? We didn't do anything fancy to it just got a vanilla server up. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Does anyone know... I had a started a dedicated server game with a few buddies. Will the update just automatically incorporate into that? Or no? We didn't do anything fancy to it just got a vanilla server up. 

It kinda depends.

If you explored a an Ashlands biome before this update, it won't turn into "new" Ashlands areas. They'll stay the same more or less. If there are Ashlands you haven't found or explored yet, those will populate like "new" Ashlands biomes when you discover / explore them. If you beat the Mistlands boss, you may have to drop / pick back up the placeholder drops to turn them into the actual resource you'd get from that boss.

They always recommend starting fresh whenever a biome releases to avoid this kind of derp. You don't have to, unless you explored the whole map or something (in that case all of the Ashlands would stay boring and empty), but stuff can get wonky.

If you wanna "cheat" on your server, you have always been able to start a local world, bring a character into it, enable cheats, spawn a shitload of materials, put them in your inventory, bring that character into your server world, drop the materials on the floor or into a chest or something, and rinse / repeat until you have enough shit to build whatever you want. I don't THINK you can easily enable cheats on a server world, but it's been a while since I looked into that.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

It kinda depends.

If you explored a an Ashlands biome before this update, it won't turn into "new" Ashlands areas. They'll stay the same more or less. If there are Ashlands you haven't found or explored yet, those will populate like "new" Ashlands biomes when you discover / explore them. If you beat the Mistlands boss, you may have to drop / pick back up the placeholder drops to turn them into the actual resource you'd get from that boss.

They always recommend starting fresh whenever a biome releases to avoid this kind of derp. You don't have to, unless you explored the whole map or something (in that case all of the Ashlands would stay boring and empty), but stuff can get wonky.

If you wanna "cheat" on your server, you have always been able to start a local world, bring a character into it, enable cheats, spawn a shitload of materials, put them in your inventory, bring that character into your server world, drop the materials on the floor or into a chest or something, and rinse / repeat until you have enough shit to build whatever you want. I don't THINK you can easily enable cheats on a server world, but it's been a while since I looked into that.

I started the server prior to Ashlands… so I guess I am wondering if the Ashlands will be in the server? Does that make sense?

47 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I started the server prior to Ashlands… so I guess I am wondering if the Ashlands will be in the server? Does that make sense?

IIRC the placeholder for the Ashlands has been there for a long time. But if you went to and explored the part of the world that the Ashlands would be in before this update, the update won't unexplore or overwrite what you've already seen.

On a generally unused world of mine that existed before this update I enabled dev commands and flew there just to see if the Ashlands would exist in my world, and it did.

I dunno how spoiler sensitive you are, but the Ashlands will be located...

Spoiler

At the very south of the map

So if you haven't gone there, you should generally be okay. If you already explored all of that area, the game's not going to undo what you've already seen.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

IIRC the placeholder for the Ashlands has been there for a long time. But if you went to and explored the part of the world that the Ashlands would be in before this update, the update won't unexplore or overwrite what you've already seen.

On a generally unused world of mine that existed before this update I enabled dev commands and flew there just to see if the Ashlands would exist in my world, and it did.

I dunno how spoiler sensitive you are, but the Ashlands will be located...

Reveal hidden contents

So if you haven't gone there, you should generally be okay. If you already explored all of that area, the game's not going to undo what you've already seen.

Gotcha. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1