NFL Week 10 - The Jest Gonna Have to Wait Next Week for That First Win

Keyser_Soze

The Raiders team is all about offence, and a big part of that is the "NFL's most expensive O-Line" -- and much of that looks in doubt this weekend.

RT -- Trent Brown is out (played 3 snaps this year), currently on Covid-related IR; Sam Young is backup and has played "spottily"; When he went down, they tried Denzelle Good at RT -- which was a disaster -- and was a big part of why the Raiders lost to the Pats

RG  -  Gabe Jackson has played well most of the season (except when he was ejected in TB game for a reason no one can find on tape)  he is currently Questionable with illness; Not sure whether John Simpson (who didn't play well when he played LG) or Patrick Omameh (who we haven't seen) wouul replace him

Centre -- Rodney Hudson looks set to start

LG -- Richie Incognito has been IR since week 2 with an Achilles injury; Denzelle Good has been pretty good in relief

RT -- Kolton Miller is doubtful with an ankle injury and is likely to miss the second week in a row;  Brandon Parker has been spotty in relief (particularly in pass protection)

So we could be looking at an OL of Young, Omameh, Hudson, Good, Parker (1 starter) against the Broncos-- If that is the case I gotta think they will play a heavy dose of the run game -- as Parker/Young are better at run blocking than pass protection.  Even still, there is a reasonable chance of an upset....

Case in point from last weekend...

This is the end of the 2nd quarter, 13 seconds left.  Waller is wide open at the top for an easy touchdown.  Sam Young is absolutely dominated and pocket collapses.

As a Raiders fan, it would be really fun to see the 5 starters play together -- because I think this offence could be something special.

Hey, thanks Norman!

Why in the world would we need 3 of our dbs or our starting TE against Arizona on the road?

Oh, and Arizona got their two starting dbs back for this one?  And we put one of our few quality LBs on IR this week?!  And league unsung safety hero Micah Hyde injured his ankle in practice this week?!

Fantastic!  I love it!  I can’t wait for this game!

edit:  and now down our starting right guard who practiced...all week.  

The playoff picture in the AFC is insane, this is the first time EVER in the Super Bowl era that 9 teams have had 6+ wins after 9 games played.  That's 9 teams that are fighting over 1 playoff spots -- it is conceivable that at least 1 team that finishes 10-6 will miss the playoffs -- that's not that unusual in a 6-team playoff format, but I couldn't find one example in the AFC over the last 20 or so years where a 7th place team that finished 10-6 missed the playoffs.  Here is a list of the teams in the AFC with five thirtyeight's estimate of each chance of winning their division/making playoffs and their predicted record.

Steelers 9-0 -- (90%/99+%) - 14-2

Chiefs 8-1 -- (89%/99+%) - 13-3

Bills 7-3 -- (75%/86%) - 11-5

Colts 6-3 -- (62%/72%)  - 10-6

Ravens 6-3 -- (8%/87%) - 11-5

Raiders 6-3 -- (11%/70%) - 10-6

Titans 6-3 -- (38%/60%) - 10-6

Browns 6-3 -- (2%/58%) - 10-6

Dolphins 6-3 (20%/45%) - 9-7

======================

Patriots 4-5 -- (6%/20%) - 8-8

Broncos 3-6 -- (<1%/<1%) - 6-10

Texans 2-7 -- (<1%/<1%) - 5-11

Chargers 2-7 -- (<1%/<1%) - 5-11

Bengals 2-6-1 -- (<1%/<1%) - 5-10-1

Jaguars 1-8 -- (<1%/<1%) - 2-14

Jets 0-9 -- (<1%/-) - 1-15

Has anyone looked at the Browns schedule?  They play the Cowboys, Was FBT, Giants, Eagles, Jets, Jags, Texans and Bengals (twice).  To make 10-6 all they have to do is beat those teams, and one other game (which they have already done with their victory over the colts).  I can EASILY see outrage in week 17, with the Browns potentially coming in at 10-5 with the Steelers deciding to sit their starters....

================================================================================

Since I care most about the Raiders.  Assuming they lost to the Chiefs next week, they can split their games against the Colts/Dolphins, and potentially afford to lose an additional game against the Jets/Falcons/Chargers/Broncos.  They seem to control their own destiny at this point -- but they will need to get a lot healthier on the O-line, so that the passing game can come back.

================================================================================

Just when you think you know your team, things change.  The Raiders games during the first 7-weeks were characterized by long drives that ate up clock, mostly driven by short passes and a largely ineffective running game.  In order to win, the Raiders pretty much needed to score on almost every drive, because the defence was forcing very few punts (and almost no turnovers). (With the exception being the first half of the Patriots game and a large chunk of the Chiefs game.)

After the debacle in Tampa, the Raiders defence has really stepped up with a great game in Cleveland, a reasonable effort in LA and a stellar game at home against the Broncos.  At the same time, the passing game has dropped off, and the rushing game caught fire (with avg rushes in the 5.0 yds per rush range).

Yesterdays, 37-12 was actually closer than it should have been -- Waller and Agholor both had drops on what should have been easy catches for a TD (that both turned into FGs), and a punt return taken off on a bone-head blindside block by Abram that was away from the play.  As well, in the second half the Broncos had 1-yard of offence (on 4 drives) with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter before the Raiders started up their prevent defence -- after which they had 125 yards at 1 TD/1 INT on 2 drives.

The Raiders will need to play better if they want to beat the Chiefs -- while their offence scored twice in the first half (1 TD, 1 FG), they sandwiched 3 consecutive 3-and-outs, and they also racked up a 4th in the 2nd half.

11 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

@BuckFly you ok bud?

There is almost nothing to say...well,except some stuff.

The convergence of so many exact things necessary to end up with this result only makes me think that there is a devine football power that doesn't want the Bills to win the division (Bills lose 3 dbs and their starting TE the day before; good LB put on the rack for the season during the week; Cody practicing all week and not playing; Brown being fully back and then...not; Cards missing two dbs last week, but get them back this week; cards miss a FG last week and get a hail Mary this week; all contributing factors)...fair enough. 

I felt weeks ago the division could come down the final week an I am not straying from that.  I also feel it could be the Bills looking up at the Dolphins.  My hope is for them to get to 10-5, with the phins no better than 11-4...my hope.

BTW, This was my comment on my Bills board on Saturday with the COVID news:

"I know I am restating the obvious, but this truly is mind bogglingly bad.

I mean, this is literally heart piercing. 

This is punch myself in the nuts as hard as I can until I black out, bad.  Then, Hitler comes back from the dead and keeps pounding my nads with a big stick until I wake back up and then he tells me he digs my wife before I pass out again bad.

...I don’t believe I am getting my point across to you how bad I think this is."

That was Saturday...how do you think I feel now?

:p

36 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

There is almost nothing to say...well,except some stuff.

The convergence of so many exact things necessary to end up with this result only makes me think that there is a devine football power that doesn't want the Bills to win the division (Bills lose 3 dbs and their starting TE the day before; good LB put on the rack for the season during the week; Cody practicing all week and not playing; Brown being fully back and then...not; Cards missing two dbs last week, but get them back this week; cards miss a FG last week and get a hail Mary this week; all contributing factors)...fair enough. 

I felt weeks ago the division could come down the final week an I am not straying from that.  I also feel it could be the Bills looking up at the Dolphins.  My hope is for them to get to 10-5, with the phins no better than 11-4...my hope.

BTW, This was my comment on my Bills board on Saturday with the COVID news:

"I know I am restating the obvious, but this truly is mind bogglingly bad.

I mean, this is literally heart piercing. 

This is punch myself in the nuts as hard as I can until I black out, bad.  Then, Hitler comes back from the dead and keeps pounding my nads with a big stick until I wake back up and then he tells me he digs my wife before I pass out again bad.

...I don’t believe I am getting my point across to you how bad I think this is."

That was Saturday...how do you think I feel now?

:p

Keep your chin up.  You're 7-3 -- still get to play the Chargers, Broncos and 49ers.  The 'phins are overrated.