Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: upcoming patch (03/06) drastically improves GTX 10-series performance

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 3 weeks later...
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Alan Wake 2 was one of the most visually stunning games of 2023 - but also one of the most demanding for older hardware…

Alan Wake 2 was one of the most visually stunning games of 2023 - but also one of the most demanding for older hardware. Owing to its use of DX12 Ultimate mesh shaders, the game could run on older hardware but often delivered an unplayable experience, especially on Nvidia's GTX 10-series GPUs built on the Pascal architecture. This is an issue because so many of them are still in use: around nine percent of the Steam Hardware Survey's GPUs are 10-series cards. Last week, Remedy approached us with the chance to preview a PC patch going live on March 6th, which radically improves matters for Pascal users. At the same time, it's a golden opportunity for us to revisit Remedy's other work on the game since launch.

In a run through the forest in the first chapter, the upcoming patch increased performance by an impressive 45 percent, so seeing this boost despite the lack of mesh shader support is highly impressive. Pascal GPUs actually fared even worse in Saga Anderson's Mind Place and with the new patch, there's an almost 3x performance multiplier. A curious stat I noticed is that as you move up the Pascal stack of GPUs, the more capable the card, the higher the performance multiplier delivered by the new patch. The same tests on GTX 1070 delivered a 57 percent increase in the forest, rising to 85 percent with the GTX 1080. Moving up to the now legendary GTX 1080 Ti (still a reasonably powerful GPU today), performance effectively doubles. At 1080p, the 1080 Ti is now delivering a good VRR experience on 60Hz panels. It's a game transformed.

Next up, I wanted to see if there's a baseline card from the 10-series range I could recommend for Alan Wake 2 - and bearing in mind how popular it is, the GTX 1060 was my first port of call. Unfortunatel, I quickly discovered that no level of resolution reduction could help us attain a circa 30fps experience. Even at very low resolutions like 720p, sub 720p or even Super Nintendo-level resolutions like FSR 2 ultra performance mode it was easy to see obvious frame-time spikes and drops below 30 fps - so even at ridiculously low resolutions where the GPU realistically should not be limited by pixel shader throughput, the GTX 1060 had issues. Here, I imagine some other aspect of the GPUs performance profile is causing too large frame-time instabilities to make a consistent 30fps experience possible, regardless of resolution.

So, based on our testing, I would say that the base Pascal GPU that can now play Alan Wake 2 respectably is the GTX 1070, which can do a good 30fps on the low settings - or the PS5's performance mode equivalent settings (effectively low with medium ground detail). Other higher end Pascal Generation GPUs though can manage much more and there's grounds for optimism that the GTX 1080 Ti in particular could deliver a PS5-style upscaled 1440p experience on equivalent performance mode settings. We tested this in a demanding area found in chapter two, where the PS5 struggles in both quality and performance modes. The GTX 1070 struggles at circa 24fps, but the GTX 1080 hits 30fps while GTX 1080 Ti could possibly lock to 40fps for much of the game.

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: upcoming patch (03/06) drastically improves GTX 10-series performance
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok. I might try this again lol. Is the story difficult to follow? I got about 10 hours in but dropped it like a hot potato. 🥔 

If you haven't played the first Alan Wake (and its two DLC's) and I'd also argue Control (and its two DLC's), you will be fairly lost as the game's story is already very obtuse and heavily based on what has happened in those games, particularly the first Alan Wake. 

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok. I might try this again lol. Is the story difficult to follow? I got about 10 hours in but dropped it like a hot potato. 🥔 

Haven't you waffled back and forth on this game like two or three times already?  I'd say just give it up at this point.  If you weren't enjoying it after 10 hours, then the next 10 aren't going to change your mind.

6 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Haven't you waffled back and forth on this game like two or three times already?  I'd say just give it up at this point.  If you weren't enjoying it after 10 hours, then the next 10 aren't going to change your mind.

I was busy with many other games and I currently do not have a job so I have all the time in the world to play it. I didn't HATE it and I have played and beat all Remedy games up to this point (minus dlc). I was following along with the story just fine about 10 hours in. Does it stay ok from a story perspective that I will enjoy the 10 other hours to complete this? 

I just don't want it to go off the rails story wise with its super natural stuff. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I was busy with many other games and I currently do not have a job so I have all the time in the world to play it. I didn't HATE it and I have played and beat all Remedy games up to this point (minus dlc). I was following along with the story just fine about 10 hours in. Does it stay ok from a story perspective that I will enjoy the 10 other hours to complete this? 

I just don't want it to go off the rails story wise with its super natural stuff. 

Yeah I think the story stays pretty consistent.  It's very interesting, but it's also less impactful than the first because it gets so twisted up in its own mythology that eventually the rules don't make sense and as a result the stakes get lowered.  This is the problem with all multiverse stories in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Yeah I think the story stays pretty consistent.  It's very interesting, but it's also less impactful than the first because it gets so twisted up in its own mythology that eventually the rules don't make sense and as a result the stakes get lowered.  This is the problem with all multiverse stories in my opinion.

Well I have it downloading now. I'll see if I can get back into it. Thanks for your posts. 

1 minute ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Well I have it downloading now. I'll see if I can get back into it. Thanks for your posts. 

I started over. The main reason I'm giving this another try is because of all the GOTY awards it won. Plus my favorite review site gave it a 9.5.

The first thing that struck me when booting this up were the beautiful visuals. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I started over. The main reason I'm giving this another try is because of all the GOTY awards it won. Plus my favorite review site gave it a 9.5.

The first thing that struck me when booting this up were the beautiful visuals. 

It has beautiful visuals, great music and an awesome atmosphere.

The story is deliberately very "surreal".  It's meant to be vague and confusing.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

It has beautiful visuals, great music and an awesome atmosphere.

The story is deliberately very "surreal".  It's meant to be vague and confusing.

Well I'm on board so I'll beat it this time. I remember your criticisms though so I'm just going with the flow. 

8 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

@best3444 the graphics are out of control, and I know you enjoy that.  It's up there with the best I've ever seen in games.

Yea it's beautiful looking. My game wasn't fully loaded so when I tried to leave the campground it stopped me at my vehicle to continue to load lol. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I’m gonna fire this up on the ally and see how it runs with the new performance updates.

Some of the things to figure out in this game is really cool. I haven't used a guide at all. I am 11 hours in now. If there was more combat I'd be praising this game. Because the gun play is excellent. It's a psychological horror so I buckled up for the ride this time and will beat it. 

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Some of the things to figure out in this game is really cool. I haven't used a guide at all. I am 11 hours in now. If there was more combat I'd be praising this game. Because the gun play is excellent. It's a psychological horror so I buckled up for the ride this time and will beat it. 

Just pretend it’s the latest adventure from Quantic Dream (heavy rain, beyond, detroit) and suddenly you will be thrilled by the amount of action! 

• True 1

12 hours ago, best3444 said:

There are so many things they did right in this game.  It's probably the best looking game I've played.

12 hours ago, best3444 said:

If there was more combat I'd be praising this game. Because the gun play is excellent. It's a psychological horror so I buckled up for the ride this time and will beat it. 

It's not a particularly long game, so you should be able to do it. 

42 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There are so many things they did right in this game.  It's probably the best looking game I've played.

It's not a particularly long game, so you should be able to do it. 

It says 18 hours to beat. That's a perfect length for this type of game. 

• True 1

Ok @stepee I'm understanding your love for this game now. Shit really picked up with some tense combat moments. The atmosphere in this game is through the fuckin roof! It's been raining and dreary here so this is the absolute perfect game to be playing now. 

Plus

Spoiler

when Alan picks up the gun and flashlight at the lodge was badass! I'm at Return 4 but might be further than that because I was playing as Saga longer than I probably should have which knocked out some chapters. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Ok @stepee I'm understanding your love for this game now. Shit really picked up with some tense combat moments. The atmosphere in this game is through the fuckin roof! It's been raining and dreary here so this is the absolute perfect game to be playing now. 

Plus

Reveal hidden contents

You won’t lose any chapters - you can play in any order you want and it will wrap around back the other way to finish it all up before you can finish.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea I just looked at a guide to see. I'm glad I really dug in to give this a shot. Very cool even though I know you weren't the biggest fan. It's definitely unique. 

Alan Wake 2 was a fantastic experience.  I still regularly listen to the music.  It was the game part I was "meh" on.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Alan Wake 2 was a fantastic experience.  I still regularly listen to the music.  It was the game part I was "meh" on.

I will say the action really steps up later on. The music is great, too. Remedy is badass. 

@stepee Unfortunately I hit a road block in this. I'm stuck in the studios basement and litteraly cannot figure out how to get out. That's the only goal, too. I tried for an hour and just kept going in circles. 

I even looked at guides and can't figure this shit out lol. I'm taking a break now but really hope to advance because I'm dying to see how this ends. 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Hmm I can’t recall anything specific with that. Surely there is a video walkthrough that you can just follow exactly?

I tried lol. It's not matching up where I am at. I'm sure I'll figure it out but for now I had to take a break. 

This got very difficult now. I was forced to use a guide because I was really struggling.

I have to be getting close to beating this now. I appreciate this game and I'm glad I put a lot of effort in to beating this.

That being said, it's not an enjoyable experience overall. It's very tense and creepy at every corner where you can't just relax and try to enjoy it all. This isn't one of my favorite genres so this why. It's very well made.