Invite Only Torrent Trackers

Bjomesphat

Anyone ever go down this rabbit hole?

This is about as far down into the depths of the internet I go, but it's always fascinated me. Yeah piracy is lame, and I'm not really talking about the overtly illegal content that's shared on some of these trackers, but the ones that share impossible to find stuff and content that has never had a commercial release (eg, concerts, old tv recordings, fan edits, etc). I dunno, I guess I'm just trying to gauge if people are into this scene and how far deep you're in it. I used to belong to quite a few back in the day, but many of them have since been shutdown. I'm trying to get back into it and join some of the more exclusive ones, but man it's tough.

I feel like the torrent scene in general is a lot rougher than it was up until 5-10 years ago. I feel like the warning sign was Demonoid going down and the real death-knell was Pirate Bay staying down and then Pirate Bay going down and staying down (I know both eventually came back but I mean that both had histories of only going down for a couple of days before coming back). And I'm still not convinced that they weren't both honeypots once they came back up. Which I'm sure is why the private trackers are even harder to get into than they used to be.

Honestly I don't even know where to go any more other than for something like grabbing new TV episodes right after they air. It's not like how you used to be able to expect to torrent basically anything you wanted without even being on a private tracker.

For me, what.cd going down was the biggest blow to the torrent scene.

A lot of people think torrenting music in this era is a thing of the past with subscription streaming services now, but what.cd was far more than just downloading music. It was easily the largest archive of music in existence. There was so much on there outside of commercially available content. Bootleg shows, demo tapes; if a recording existed of something, it was on what.cd.

So now I've been trying to get on waffles, since that recently came back and am hoping it has even a fraction of what what.cd offered. I used to be on waffles.fm, but that shutdown a long time ago.

I try not to talk too much about sites I want because invite fishing is prohibited from all of these sites, and sometimes admins will do research on a user. So if anyone is interested in talking about that further, send me a PM.

1 hour ago, Duchess May said:

I didn't even know it was still a thing people did. Ever since streaming services became a thing, I haven't touched em since.

This was true back when between Netflix and Hulu you could get pretty much anything you wanted, but Farscape isn't on any of the streaming services right now, for instance.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:45 AM, Duchess May said:

I didn't even know it was still a thing people did. Ever since streaming services became a thing, I haven't touched em since.

This is my mindset, as well.

With all the content you can get from Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, and Prime it's really not worth the hassle to bother with torrent sites. 

19 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

This is my mindset, as well.

With all the content you can get from Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, and Prime it's really not worth the hassle to bother with torrent sites. 

Sure I agree for commercially available stuff, it's far more convenient.

But there's so much content out there that would be lost without this type of sharing. For example, every Halloween I download a Halloween TGIF block from the 90s, including all of the commercials. It's awesome revisiting that stuff. There are bigger examples like Harmy's Despecialized Star Wars editions, but there's also smaller projects. There are groups out there that track down film reels and do HD transfers that don't exist. Song of the South is a good example as it's unlikely Disney will ever re-release that, it looks fantastic in 1080p though. The Thief and the Cobbler is a great one, as fans have cobbled (;)) together every source they can find to re-create the director's original vision: story boards, brand new film transfers, VHS segments; all to make the best cut available.

The only thing I’ve used a torrent website for in the last 3 or 4 years was a time when I neee to open an old TurboTax business file and the computer couldn’t read the disc.