DC Comics: (Practically) Everything is Batman

While I'm not a huge comics fan by any stretch, I still check in with the medium from time to time to see if there's anything upcoming that I could potentially be interested in.  

A couple of days ago, I stumbled upon an article that details all the upcoming Batman-related releases and HOLY CHARACTER SATURATION, DC!  I mean, I certainly was aware that DC leaned heavily on the Caped Crusader, but I had no freakin' idea that the dependence was THAT significant!

MBeikxe3TD8nsa39yTtFrQ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

DC's Dark Knight is busy! Check out all the upcoming Batman comics on the horizon

It's worth noting that these are releases that feature Batman himself and NOT the extended Bat Family (Nightwing, Batgirl, etc.).  If we include those titles, then the Bat Family easily accounts for at least 60% of DC's total output.  As DC has previously announced that it will be reducing its overall number of titles to concentrate on "core" characters, I can only imagine that this disproportionality is only gonna get worse!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DC Comics: (Practically) Everything is Batman

Just for the sake of comparison, these are the upcoming releases for Spider-Man, who I assume is Marvel's most prolific character:

mv3uStAWjUzbhrRhqThmfb-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Spider-Man is the face of Marvel Comics, and we rundown everywhere you can read about him

5 hours ago, Dodger said:

It really shouldn't be that hard to get some decent Superman and Wonder Woman stuff out. 

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I've enjoyed most of the last few storylines with Wonder Woman. But I don't understand why they can't get a decent Superman story out. 

Both books are very good right now. Bendis has been handling all things Superman for the last couple of years but he's leaving in December. The Big Three, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman all have very good books right now. So does Green Lantern. I've been a Marvel guy most of my life but DC is blowing them away right now in terms of story quality. Most of the books I buy right now are DC and besides Thor (which is AMAZING right now) and The Star Wars books, the only Marvel books I buy to actually read and not collect are the X books. Jonathan Hickman is doing some amazing stuff with the X books that I think @Emperor Diocletian II would particularly appreciate.

4 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Just for the sake of comparison, these are the upcoming releases for Spider-Man, who I assume is Marvel's most prolific character:

mv3uStAWjUzbhrRhqThmfb-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Spider-Man is the face of Marvel Comics, and we rundown everywhere you can read about him

Well Marvel has Two of them now (Three if you count 209)... there's more than enough of him to go around!

34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Both books are very good right now. Bendis has been handling all things Superman for the last couple of years but he's leaving in December. The Big Three, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman all have very good books right now. So does Green Lantern. I've been a Marvel guy most of my life but DC is blowing them away right now in terms of story quality. Most of the books I buy right now are DC and besides Thor (which is AMAZING right now) and The Star Wars books, the only Marvel books I buy to actually read and not collect are the X books. Jonathan Hickman is doing some amazing stuff with the X books that I think @Emperor Diocletian II would particularly appreciate.

Different strokes I guess. I've tried the past few storylines and just haven't been able to get into them. And I'm not a Superman hater like most these days. I actually think he's a compelling character. But there's been nothing compelling there for me recently.

I definitely agree on the X books though. Better than they've been in a long, long time.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Different strokes I guess. I've tried the past few storylines and just haven't been able to get into them. And I'm not a Superman hater like most these days. I actually think he's a compelling character. But there's been nothing compelling there for me recently.

I definitely agree on the X books though. Better than they've been in a long, long time.

You didn't like 

Spoiler

The whole revealing his secret identity thing? Or the formation of the united planets? or Jor-El being alive? Or forming a truce/alliance with Zod?

21 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I FULLY intend to get around to Hickman's run on the X-books...at some point :p

I will agree that DC has more titles that I could be potentially interested in (especially anything written by Tom King), but there are Marvel titles that I'm curious about (other than Hickman's X-books) like Thor (as you mentioned) and Immortal Hulk.