Schreier: Blizzard workers share salary as part of an open revolt against low compensation

Brian

One of the greatest cons the rich man ever pulled was convincing the masses that their income was super private. If no one talks about money, you can keep wages low. And if you have to raise them for new employees to stay somewhat competitive, the plebes making the old wages don't need to know about it.

I saw this time and again for many jobs I'd worked, where the person hiring made it a point of pride to say that I'd be making "more than the people who've been working here for years." Which was confirmed when the subject was brought up with people who had in fact been there for years. And of course, people coming in way after me would be making more than that. Not that it was ever a tremendously higher number, because of course it's not, but it'd add up.

39 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

One of the greatest cons the rich man ever pulled was convincing the masses that their income was super private. If no one talks about money, you can keep wages low. And if you have to raise them for new employees to stay somewhat competitive, the plebes making the old wages don't need to know about it.

I saw this time and again for many jobs I'd worked, where the person hiring made it a point of pride to say that I'd be making "more than the people who've been working here for years." Which was confirmed when the subject was brought up with people who had in fact been there for years. And of course, people coming in way after me would be making more than that. Not that it was ever a tremendously higher number, because of course it's not, but it'd add up.

It really is weird there is a huge taboo in America about talking about money, and lots of businesses actively discourage it. I got a talking to one time by the store manager when I worked at Blockbuster moons ago  because I asked somebody else how much they made.

Just look at sports, salaries are public and guys can say I had a way better year than so and so and should get more money and it works. Regular jobs should be the same. Johnson made 50k last year and you made 40k and you can say you had better productivity you should be able to use that to get more money. But you can’t so you don’t and if you so happen to know how much Johnson makes And mention it to any sort of management you’ll be the one in trouble.

This week in the US specialty that is "Keep people as ignorant and uneducated as possible so they don't realize they're being raked over the coals every which way". 

I once found out I was making more than the head of my department whom I was good friends with. That went over well. 

I remember early on in my career I found out that a guy hired after me that I had to train was making more money than me. I was pissed and made a HUGE stink when I found out. They had to not only give me a bump,  but pay me retroactively the amount I SHOULD have been getting because they were terrified of being sued.

I've always thought that some industries, like making games, they get away with treating employees terribly and paying them nothing because they know that there are a bunch of other young kids that just want to make games. Filmmaking is in a similar position, but they at least have strong unions to support those that do get in (for many, but not all jobs).

Is it as simple as that, or is there something else about the games industry that seems to foster terrible employee practices?