Far Cry 6 - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

On 10/25/2021 at 10:55 PM, stepee said:

I looked on ubi and it’s 100%, I tried to look in game but idk where you even see that?

Interesting. I'm still at 1% on Uplay

But in game (press shift and F2) and look at progression. I'm guessing yours will say 100%

Mine says 101%

Uplay probably can't display 101 so it's only showing the last digit in my case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 3:15 PM, best3444 said:

Did the majority of you guys pass on this? I see no impressions except for like two. I plan on playing this again but I'd like more opinions on it. 

I got all the achievements for it. It’s more Far Cry. It’s fun but like all these games a silenced sniper rifle is easy mode. It does that level shit New Dawn does but there are a few level 4 guns you can get early if you look online and you’ll be fine. If you’ve liked the last couple you’ll like this one, but it’s largely more of the same which is good and bad.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Picked this up during a sale a while back and initial impressions aren't great. My alligator buddy drowned before even getting back to camp. I think it fell off a bridge into a shallow river, but I didn't see it happen. While taking my first checkpoint I witnessed at two random vehicles running over horses for no reason. They give you an armor piercing silenced rifle after the first mission, which seems to make things rather trivial.

From the get go it feels like they didn't pace things for the dialog at all. If you just play the game, you're going to miss what people are saying. I hit the button to accept a quest, and apparently that just skips the mission briefing. During the walkthrough of crafting, if you click on anything, it skips the voice over, which seems silly. (A very minor thing, but why call one of the crafting elements gun powder? Why do I need 1 unit of gun powder to make a scope, and why do I have unlimited ammo at base, but no gun powder to craft? Just call it anything else.)

It looks like there will be plenty to do. I can already see there is a lot of map, lots of guns, lots of customization and some kind of leveling system. The question after an hour or two is if the jank will keep me from enjoying it.

After finishing a quick new game + of God of War, the contrast in polish is pretty extreme. If I can keep my expectations in check, there should be fun to be had.

I had enough time to put in a good few more hours and get a better sense of the game as a whole. It's Far Cry. Not really any better, not really any worse.

I'm not a big fan of how the open world is structured. There is some mild level system in place, but this isn't like AC Odyssey where if you're greatly underleveled you have no chance. The rifle you leave the beginning island with is enough to two tap enemies in the highest level areas. I don't even understand the point of a level system like this when it makes no real difference. Either make it so the levels matter more and give you something to work toward, or get rid of an empty system that doesn't affect the game.

The world itself is quite large, and has plenty of ubisoft checklist things to do, but a few things make it less compelling to play around in than it should be. For one thing, it can often be oddly devoid of enemy troops. Checkpoints typically have three, maybe five guys at them. Ok, those are just roadblocks, maybe no need for a large troop presence. Then I'm taking out anti-aircraft cannons, which are often part of or very near large military installations, and those have tiny enemy counts. I'd say the average is three guys, but I came across a number with no guards at all, even in the highest level areas in the game. Military bases that you take over might also have as few as three guys, but the upper end is still maybe seven. These troop counts stand out even more because during story missions there seem to be plenty of baddies. It makes going through the side missions to do all these things kinda boring if you get basically no resistance.

The other thing that makes the world less compelling to play is the movement. I just feel so slow, and I've invested in whatever perks and stuff I can so far in movement speed, but it never feels good. The map is dense with guerrilla paths, which is fun. These paths often have grappling hook spots and things to climb, but moving is so slow and the map so large that you're nearly always incentivized to just take a vehicle. I've found these paths more fun in the cities than in the rest of the map, but it feels like a missed opportunity. Maybe later in the game you get a grappling hook launcher and some running shoes or something, but I'm decently through the game and I avoid running as much as I can.

I don't want to be overly negative. The game is pretty fun, there's a ton to do, and it gets some things right. It's happy to let you do things however you want. It's cool with you getting distracted and grabbing a convoy that happens by while you're clearing a base. I feel like some open world action games don't want to track multiple objectives in progress and I'm glad that's not the case here.

Still, this is no Forbidden West. This is a Far Cry game right out of the Ubisoft factory. It's not an improvement and it's not a real downgrade. It's perfectly fine, and if you can get it cheap it's fun enough.

• Halal 2

I've now finished the game, and unfortunately the complaints I had early on were never really resolved. Movement never feels great, even in most vehicles. I prioritized anti-air cannons above all else so I could use helicopters at every possible opportunity. I largely abandoned a stealthy approach and went full on rambo for most of the game, but for as much as the game wants to emphasize doing things how you want and for how many crazy tools it gives you, it seems completely incapable of delivering a satisfying combat experience. I would fly up to an enemy base, land right on their doorstep, and I could take out most of the meager garrison before they even started firing back. I didn't use cover, didn't pre-spot enemies, just few right up and started shooting.

I'm now convinced that the reason for the lack of enemies is a technical issue. I tried a few times to see how many enemies I could get the game to spawn for me, and even in the final missions or capturing a large base after the game was over, I couldn't get more than eight or nine enemies at a time. Given the radar and the spotting grenades, it's pretty easy to keep track of them. To compensate on larger missions, the game would wait for you to kill someone, and then spawn in another. While there was a clear effort to not spawn enemies in your direct line of sight, it wasn't always successful, nor were the locations that they'd spawn in make much sense. The worst I ran into was a helicopter that spawned right on top of my head, but often baddies would spawn right around a corner. A frustrating experience when you just cleared that corner. Most of the time though, there wouldn't be that many guys. You'd kill the five or six soldiers and that would be it.

That would be more forgivable if the enemies were in any way intelligent, but even for open world NPCs, these guys were dumb as rocks and slow to react. I played the latter half of the game basically never worrying about anyone seeing me, because even if they saw me first, they'd be dead before they took a shot.

I was also bummed that the crazier stuff wasn't very effective, with the exception of the bow. The resolver weapons were largely worse than standard weapons, especially since you couldn't customize them much, and some of them were counter to their seemingly intended purpose. A gun that pairs directly with a stealth build is really loud and can't be equipped with a silencer. Again, it didn't really matter because you didn't need much to take out the small groups the game would throw at you.

I'd also argue that this game is well below par in terms of how well it reacted to the player. I understand that you're never going to have Last of Us levels of continuity in an open world game, but maybe half the time a random sound line wouldn't feel right or be outright wrong.