The Good Lord Bird (5 October 2020) - Showtime series about John Brown, update: new trailers

• 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Good Lord Bird (5 October 2020) - Showtime series about John Brown, update: new trailers
02goodlordbird-videoSixteenByNineJumbo16
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Ethan Hawke plays the wild-eyed abolitionist in Showtime’s adaptation of the award-winning novel by James McBride.

• 4 weeks later...

This was an absolutely FANTASTIC series that I HIGHLY encourage everyone to watch, especially at this present moment.  It's practically a moral "call to arms" for our own age as well.

Of the three recent series that have addressed the sins of racial injustice of the United States --  Watchmen, Lovecraft Country, and The Good Lord Bird -- I'd have to rank them as follows:

1. The Good Lord Bird

2. Watchmen

3. Lovecraft Country

The history lover in me connected more intimately with The Good Lord Bird than the other series, but that's certainly not to suggest that either Watchmen or Lovecraft Country are significantly inferior in any way, shape, or form.

What also elevates The Good Lord Bird for me was that everything moved at a reasonably brisk pace with a laser-focused narrative over "only" seven episodes, leaving very little room for unnecessary padding or meandering side plots.

And, my God, Ethan Hawke's Old Testament prophet-like performance as John Brown.  He absolutely inhabited that role with a righteous fury like no other I've seen in ages.  

• 5 months later...