Josh Trank After The FF Fiasco

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

After reading this in it's entirety I'm actually rooting for the guy now. He seems like he's matured and has become really self aware and I'm looking forward to seeing Capone.

I got the same sense. I think it's interesting that Trank felt his editor was the one who, in part, hijacked his movie and used all the wrong takes, and now on Capone (Trank's next film), Trank himself is credited as editor. I think someone won't trust editors again, understandably.

Great article. I was surprised by how self aware Trank was about how you pretty much have to be a white dude to get the opportunities he has.

A really great read. 

My understanding of the Fox/Marvel deal was that they had to use the licence every ~7 (?) years, or else the rights would revert back to Marvel. I wonder if Trank had been making any other studio film without such a hard release date if they would have tried to give him more time, or if the situation would have been any different.

I got the impression that Trank is a bit like Shane Carruth if Carruth really wanted to make big budget movies. He seems to have a real drive to create, but only really wants to make his own stuff, with his unique sensibilities, yet he also wants to make big films. They're very much conflicting impulses, and even in the best case scenario it's hard to put much of a stamp on huge studio pictures. Hopefully he can find the right size of film that allows him to make stuff his own, while still playing on a big enough scale. It's not easy to make those $20-$50M movies, but I'd be happy to see him succeed.

A while ago he was posting stuff on Twitter that seemed like he matured, realized his mistakes, took responsibility, and should get another shot, but then soon after went on some crazy tangent that just screamed, "ok, this guy needs help. He is mentally unwell." 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I got the same sense. I think it's interesting that Trank felt his editor was the one who, in part, hijacked his movie and used all the wrong takes, and now on Capone (Trank's next film), Trank himself is credited as editor. I think someone won't trust editors again, understandably.

The thing was, it wasn't HIS editor. At that point the film had been pretty much taken out of his hands and they were just keeping him to really be polite. I know EXACTLY what he was talking about regarding the editor because sometimes editors are more concerned with rhythm and pacing than performance. It's hard for someone who can actually edit to let someone else edit their pieces... I've never had someone else edit something that I myself directed. Even gigs that I was paid for by others. It was always understood that I would cut it myself.

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Great article. I was surprised by how self aware Trank was about how you pretty much have to be a white dude to get the opportunities he has.

Yeah when he said that I was like "At least he gets it" because when I first started reading the article I thought to myself, this is white privilege on full display,  once again. I was glad to see he was able to put that in perspective without it necessarily being pointed out to him.

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The thing was, it wasn't HIS editor. At that point the film had been pretty much taken out of his hands and they were just keeping him to really be polite. I know EXACTLY what he was talking about regarding the editor because sometimes editors are more concerned with rhythm and pacing than performance. It's hard for someone who can actually edit to let someone else edit their pieces... I've never had someone else edit something that I myself directed. Even gigs that I was paid for by others. It was always understood that I would cut it myself.

Well the film had two editors so yeah it definitely looks the way you describe. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well the film had two editors so yeah it definitely looks the way you describe. 

It's the way HE described... in the actual article.

The studio hired editor Stephen Rivkin, whose credited work includes Avatar and the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies, to prepare Fantastic Four for the runoff. Rivkin ultimately chose different takes for every single scene in the movie, and became “the de facto director,” Trank said. And in the director’s mind, Rivkin chose the bad takes. “There are some editors, from my point of view, who prefer using takes for pacing over performance. So they’ll say, ‘He moved out of that quicker,’ or, ‘He did this quicker.’ It’s about a certain kind of a rhythm that they are looking for.” There are moments in the finished film that Trank appreciates — Doctor Doom blowing up security guard heads as he strolls down a hallway, the scene in which Tim Blake Nelson’s head explodes, the shriek-filled introduction of mutated Reed Richards’ elastic body (in which no heads explode) — but the director found Rivkin’s ultimate decisions to be cheesy. “I maybe saw a couple of shots that really resonated.”

• Thanks 1

Great article.  The most illuminating (and hilarious) thing for me is the desperate speed with which Hollywood absorbs any internet sensation.  What's that, you made a few minute long viral video?  Well then you're obviously the right person to helm the entire operation of this huge property.  No wonder there's such a violent rise and fall of people like this in that system.

3 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Great article.  The most illuminating (and hilarious) thing for me is the desperate speed with which Hollywood absorbs any internet sensation.  What's that, you made a few minute long viral video?  Well then you're obviously the right person to helm the entire operation of this huge property.  No wonder there's such a violent rise and fall of people like this in that system.

To be fair, he did make Chronicle which was a low risk and relatively low budget project that he was able to pull off before he got FF. That said his success was very rapid and was definitely a product of his... "priviledge".

https://screenrant.com/capone-movie-reviews-preview-josh-trank/

Chris Agar, Screen Rant

Given the material of Capone, the film was in need of a savvy and experienced helmsman to handle the delicate story at its core. Sadly, Trank isn't fully up for the task. Capone's depiction of a mentally-ill Capone frequently teeters between tragedy and unintentional comedy depending on the situation. It's clear Trank wanted viewers to feel sympathy for this version of Capone, who is haunted by his past and dealing with a medical condition beyond his control, but it doesn't always work.

Who is he going to blame this time?

• 4 weeks later...