160,000 Nintendo Accounts Compromised

DarkStar189

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/24/21234205/nintendo-account-hack-nnid-breach-security-hacking-attempt

Some users have even reported fraudulent charges.  They want you to set up 2-Step verification asap if you haven't already.  This was the first time I ran into a process that requires you to have the Google Authenticator downloaded.  It felt like I was locking my Nintendo account to my phone which felt weird. A big warning at the end that said if you ever lose access to your phone you better save all these one time use codes or you will permanently lose access to your Nintendo account. I did it but made sure to save a screenshot of the codes to the cloud. 

Link to set up 2-step:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27496/~/how-to-set-up-2-step-verification-for-a-nintendo-account

I recieved an email this afternoon stating my account was accessed from Russia from a PC running Windows 10. I don't know how to post the screenshot from my phone, but I copied the text for y'all to read below. I didn't realize I was playing in Rushn' Attack.

"This is an automatically generated e-mail from Nintendo.

-------------------------
Nickname: xxx <--- (I X'd out my nickname)
A new device has been used to sign in to this Nintendo Account.

Device: Windows
Browser: MSIE
Date and time: 4/27/2020 14:12

If you do not recognize this sign-in activity, your account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party.
Please use the following link to change your password.

14 hours ago, JayTheToothlessNerd said:

From my understanding your NNID stays the same. You just don't have it as a secondary option to sign in. Instead you are required to use only your email and password.

Yeah I don't think changing your Nintendo Account affects your NNID.  That seems like an even bigger security risk if they were tied that closely together.

On 4/27/2020 at 6:03 PM, JayTheToothlessNerd said:

I recieved an email this afternoon stating my account was accessed from Russia from a PC running Windows 10. I don't know how to post the screenshot from my phone, but I copied the text for y'all to read below. I didn't realize I was playing in Rushn' Attack.

If you do not recognize this sign-in activity, your account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party.

I got the same email but my login was from Ireland. 

On 4/27/2020 at 6:03 PM, JayTheToothlessNerd said:

Yep, that's how the warnings came on my account.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:39 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

So, to change our NNID password, do we have to sign into a WiiU or 3DS to do so?  I can only seem to find the Nintendo Account options from the website.

Do not do this.  You need 2FA.  I changed my password and within 2 days my account was accessed again.

11 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

Yep, that's how the warnings came on my account.

Do not do this.  You need 2FA.  I changed my password and within 2 days my account was accessed again.

I turned on 2FA, but as far as I can tell it's only for your Nintendo Account.  The NNID won't have 2FA.