Games as a Service + New Consoles = Major Franchises Changing?

SoberChef

I've had this lingering thought for days now that I just cannot shake and it's this:

"What if, with the launch of the new consoles, major properties become a service based/subscription title?"

Considering the way the next gen is being positioned alongside with the widening stance of so many titles being service/subscriber based, what if we end up seeing this format for say the next iterations of Forza Motorsport, Gran Tourismo, even Halo Infinite?

Well it's kind of a given that MS will model some of their games to be service based, since they want to keep players invested in Game Pass.

Forza Horizon 4 has already gone that route. I can also see the name "Infinite" being a clever way to indicate that the next Halo will be an on-going GaaS. I also wouldn't be surprised if Fable goes this route as well.

That being said, I can't see too many established franchises changing just because there's a new console cycle. If they were going to go that route, I think they'd be there already. Just look at AC Odyssey.

8 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Well it's kind of a given that MS will model some of their games to be service based, since they want to keep players invested in Game Pass.

Forza Horizon 4 has already gone that route. I can also see the name "Infinite" being a clever way to indicate that the next Halo will be an on-going GaaS. I also wouldn't be surprised if Fable goes this route as well.

That being said, I can't see too many established franchises changing just because there's a new console cycle. If they were going to go that route, I think they'd be there already. Just look at AC Odyssey.

I really loved my time with Forza Horizon 4, and it has a few GaaS hooks -- but it is still not a subscription based game, and is not a GaaS like Destiny/Division/Dota/etc.

I came away from e3 thinking that Halo was definetly going the way of Division/Destiny -- and would not be like previous Halo games.  Was I the only one with that impression?

15 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I really loved my time with Forza Horizon 4, and it has a few GaaS hooks -- but it is still not a subscription based game, and is not a GaaS like Destiny/Division/Dota/etc.

I came away from e3 thinking that Halo was definetly going the way of Division/Destiny -- and would not be like previous Halo games.  Was I the only one with that impression?

You're not the only one. I definitely think Halo Infinite will be a Destiny clone.

GaaS is key to keep subscriptions alive as they become more commonplace.  Every publisher planning (or already doing) one is going to need these sorts of games to keep a consistent subscriber base.  Otherwise, people will just hop around services based on big new releases.

I can see a future where certain GaaS games are entirely subscription exclusive.  As in, you can't even buy a box or digital copy.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I came away from e3 thinking that Halo was definitely going the way of Division/Destiny -- and would not be like previous Halo games.  Was I the only one with that impression?

I don't think anything was said that would indicate too much, but I think that was the industry expectation.

I don't really play Forza, but I was under the impression it kind of already is there. Halo going the Destiny route makes sense. Gears also feels like it could support that model.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

DOTA isn't GaaS, it's the same game all the time. They just add new heroes and change the map occasionally. :p