Although it is very unlikely, what 1440p monition should I get? Must be 100hz or higher and not Ultrawide.

Bacon

Literally no idea what kind of monitor I should get when the time comes for me to finally upgrade. All I can focus on is the negative reviews of every monitor so the reviews really don't help. I have only have two (mon 1, mon 2) monitors in general(both 24", and both are ASUS. Not loyal to the brand tho. They were just in my price range. Please just post your recommendation. If your recommendation comes from personal experience then even better. I also don't really care for the idea of a curved monitor. Never had one but  it seems like things would look weird on it. IDK, maybe they are fine. 

A couple of days ago, I ordered a LG 27GL850 for my new rig I'm building

Review: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm

They just sold out on Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=lg+27gl850-b&_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

There's also a cheaper LG based on the same panel but fewer features: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lg-27gl83a-with-27-ips-panel-144hz-refresh-rate-and-srgb-gamut/

Keep your eyes open. 

There are tons of other great options. I don't know if you are looking for TN, IPS, or VA. 

If you're happy with 24",  1440p and don't need G-sync, just try to get a cheap TN free-sync monitor (low latency, high refresh monitors are often free-sync or G-sync and free-sync is cheaper). Scout out monitors in store to see if there are any issues that would bother you and then wait for a sale. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Me either!

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

tl;dr

TN panels: The best motion, no backlight bleed, but terrible viewing angles. Colors can get off if you are not directly in front of the monitor. Bad blacks

VA: Better than TN viewing angles, but worse than IPS. VA has the best contrast ratio out of any monitors with the deepest blacks, but they suffer from certain color transitions making motion clarity an issue in certain scenes resulting in what people call "smearing". 

IPS: Best viewing angles, decent motion, great color production. However, they suffer from poor contrast (blacks are washed out) and can have what is called IPS glow and backlight bleed. With that said, IPS is my favorite, although they are more expensive than TN or VA.

Edit: tftcentral and https://pcmonitors.info are my favorite review sites.

19 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

TN panels: The best motion, no backlight bleed, but terrible viewing angles. Colors can get off if you are not directly in front of the monitor. Bad blacks

It looks like both of my monitors are TN panels. So, is this why my main monitor appears darker at the top of the screen than at the bottom when I am sitting at a low angle?

Are you going for 27 or 24 inch? I would assume 27 since you said 2560x1440. 

As for freesync and gsync, most new monitors coming out with freesync are gsync compatible (which isn't the same as gsync). They don't have nvidia's module in them, but they still still eliminate screen tearing if you are within the fps range (usually between 48-144 on ips) .

My 2 cents, I would make it a priority to get 2560x1440, freesync (or gsync compatibility if you use nvidia), and 144hz. I wouldn't settle for 1080p. You can get TN panels with all of these features such as the Dell  S2719DGF https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-s2719dgf-155hz-gaming-monitor,5881.html  https://www.amazon.com/Dell-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor-S2719DGF/dp/B00N2L5CXO  Double check the gsync compatibility on that if you use nvidia though.

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I wouldn't settle for 1080p

Well, that is why I made this thread as that is what I have.

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Not sure how size matters except for the screen being bigger. Both of my monitors are 24" but that is just how it ended up being. I wouldn't want something smaller that is for sure, but I am fine with something bigger or the same size. Don't want something too large either. 32" is too big for my area. Now, is there a technical reason why I should get 27" over 24" then I'd rather just so what is best. Like, if bigger is truly better then that is what I'll do. 

13 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

You can get TN panels with all of these features

I am not sure if panels matter to me. I have only ever had TN panels so I have no clue how other panels look in person. I had a 32" 720p Vizio TV back in 09-12, but I don't know the panel type on that. Like, those are the only screens I have ever personally owned. 

20 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Dell  S2719DGF

I don't get why this one is so cheap while the other are $100+ more. It seems fine to me and according to this Reddit thread it is compatible with gsync. Maybe if I get one this would be it? I really don't understand what makes a good monitor. Like, I have never put any thought into my monitor. I have no clue why I chose the monitor that I did for my first monitor. I know my second monitor was chosen because it was the same brand as the first, and it was 144hz. 

I have the older S2716DGR and I'm happy with it. I got it on sale. I think the S2719DGF would be a good fit for you since you just want a decent 1440p monitor that doesn't cost too much. If you're not going 4K and aren't doing serious photo or video editing I don't see any point in paying more.

2 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

I have the older S2716DGR and I'm happy with it. I got it on sale. I think the S2719DGF would be a good fit for you since you just want a decent 1440p monitor that doesn't cost too much. If you're not going 4K and aren't doing serious photo or video editing I don't see any point in paying more.

4k will be out of my budget until 16K resolution becomes standard. But yeah the S2719DGF does seem to be the the way to go for a person like me unless a bunch of people smarter than me say otherwise. 

As this video points out, the only issue I can actually notice that might take come getting use to this the backlight bleed. I don't think it will be an issue for gaming, but I'd probably notice it if I was watching something like The Mandalorian which has massive black bars. 

79307794d20fde3320a2645b2f29c3a5.jpg

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

As for freesync and gsync, most new monitors coming out with freesync are gsync compatible (which isn't the same as gsync). They don't have nvidia's module in them, but they still still eliminate screen tearing if you are within the fps range (usually between 48-144 on ips) .

My 2 cents, I would make it a priority to get 2560x1440, freesync (or gsync compatibility if you use nvidia), and 144hz. I wouldn't settle for 1080p. You can get TN panels with all of these features such as the Dell  S2719DGF https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-s2719dgf-155hz-gaming-monitor,5881.html  https://www.amazon.com/Dell-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor-S2719DGF/dp/B00N2L5CXO  Double check the gsync compatibility on that if you use nvidia though.

I have this monitor and Gsync does work.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I don't get why this one is so cheap while the other are $100+ more. It seems fine to me and according to this Reddit thread it is compatible with gsync. Maybe if I get one this would be it? I really don't understand what makes a good monitor. Like, I have never put any thought into my monitor. I have no clue why I chose the monitor that I did for my first monitor. I know my second monitor was chosen because it was the same brand as the first, and it was 144hz. 

It's cheap because it's TN, but I've seen other 27" 1440p 144+ Hz monitors get close to this price (~$300).

Also, funny enough, I too own the 24" Asus VG248QE 144 Hz monitor that you are looking to upgrade from.  I, too, upgraded from the Asus to the Dell just earlier this year.  So I can comment on my comparison between the two.  The short answer is the Dell edges out the Asus in every aspect but one.  The Asus, despite being one of the first 144 Hz monitors on the market, does have better pixel response time (and thus less motion blurring) than the Dell monitor, even when the Dell is overclocked to 155 Hz.  Now the difference is very, very small, but when I put both monitors side by side and scrutinize every little detail then I can make it out.  I also looked up a couple of reviews and found the Asus did actually test to have about a 1-2ms advantage in real-world pixel response time.  Also, if you used Lightboost (a.k.a. ULMB, strobing, ELMB, and other marketing jargon) on the Asus, then the Dell 2719 does not offer that feature at all - but the older Dell 2716 G-Sync only display does offer that feature - and that too gives the Asus a huge win in motion blur elimination albeit at the cost of brightness and color accuracy.

Now if you were looking to go with an IPS, then you'll downgrade even further in the pixel response/motion blur category in comparison to your VG248QE, unless you get an IPS display that also has a strobing/Ultra Low Motion Blur mode (which will again sacrifice your screen brightness). Even if that IPS can go up to 165 Hz it will still have slower pixel response time.  And I wouldn't really consider a VA panel at all unless you plan to mainly watch a lot of movies/TV shows while doing some gaming.  But I personally hate motion blurring and am pretty sensitive to it, so that's my bias.

Now as to what the S2719DGF does do well.  It certainly does have much better viewing angles than the Asus VG248QE.  It's quite surprising how big the difference is, and even when you get to the extreme ends of the angle the picture doesn't get too weird, just a bit obscured.  There's little color shift when viewing it an angle, so yeah when you read reviews that say it's almost as good as an IPS they definitely are not lying.  The colors of the Dell panel are also more natural than the Asus, but it's a not a huge leap in difference (if you are looking at the Asus straight on).  But since the Dell is still a TN panel, the colors don't pop as much as they would on an IPS.  I could never get my Asus to both have good blacks/contrast/brightness and have the colors pop at the same time.  There was a tradeoff and when calibrating it and very hard to find the balance.  So a big benefit for the Dell is you can find a better balance.

The pixel density improvement of going from a 24" 1080p to a 27" 1440p screen is probably the most noticeable improvement you'll see when gaming.  Everything will just appear sharper and you'll see fewer jaggies and blocks.  It's great.  It also requires more horsepower, so be prepared to sacrifice a few frames per second to get that buttery smooth image.

I have ran into one bug though, of which I have not had the time to properly isolate, diagnose, or fix though.  And that is sometimes when I leave my computer idle the screen will go black and say roughly "resolution is not supported".  I'm not sure if it's my particular display, the fact I'm using DisplayPort (when I used DisplayPort on my previous Asus there were bugs/issues I ran into as well that didn't happen when I used DVI), my video card, or something with my Windows power management (because sometimes it won't put my monitor to sleep after the set time and it will just stay on.... for hours.)  I haven't figured out the permanent solution or the culprit, but my temporary fix is to push a button to bring up the OSD of the monitor, and then exit the OSD, and voila somehow my computer sends or the monitor reads the proper signal (resolution+refresh rate) and works normally.  The blank screen bug has never happened while I was actively watching or playing something, but usually when I just leave my computer idle and rarely when I exit a fullscreen application.  I think it's either a bug with the firmware or a bug with DisplayPort.

• Thanks 1

What a glorious post @cusideabelincoln :sun: I don't use the Lightboost mode, and it is even grayed out so I have not even tried it. I am still using DVI so, I think I'd need to get a DP cable if I get the Dell. If I get this monitor maybe I'll run into your issue. And yeah, it really looks like the S2719DGF is the correct path for me. Your post is the kinda post that tells me "This is the monitor you should get. You'll be happy with it no doubt."

Not sure when I'll be able to get it, but I hope I can get it before 2077. Cyberpunk 2077 that is. 

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

What a glorious post @cusideabelincoln :sun: I don't use the Lightboost mode, and it is even grayed out so I have not even tried it. I am still using DVI so, I think I'd need to get a DP cable if I get the Dell. If I get this monitor maybe I'll run into your issue. And yeah, it really looks like the S2719DGF is the correct path for me. Your post is the kinda post that tells me "This is the monitor you should get. You'll be happy with it no doubt."

Not sure when I'll be able to get it, but I hope I can get it before 2077. Cyberpunk 2077 that is. 

Well I don't switch monitors much, and haven't seen an IPS monitor in person (other than large screen TVs), so I can't speak to how the more expensive (IPS) options would look in direct comparison.  But, from all accounts, the Dell is no doubt one hell of a value.  I don't think there's any monitor that offers a better overall package for the ~$260ish prices I've seen it go for lately.  The only other subject I'll weigh in on is competitive gaming.  If you play a lot of online games, especially shooters, I think a 240 Hz monitor would probably suit you better.  This was what I was debating in my mind months ago.  I historically play a lot of competitive shooters - from Counter-Strike to Battlefield and more recently Overwatch and Apex Legends - and wanted better pixel response time.  But I also enjoy my single player games with high graphical fidelity,  and I'm also getting older and am noticing a decline in my competitiveness so that lead me to lean more towards getting a monitor that would deliver a sharper, better image.  The Dell does that... but after purchasing it I think I ended up playing even more online competitive games and kind of wished I had gone with either a 240 Hz monitor or a monitor that offered a better ULMB mode (the Asus is notoriously bad at dimming the image while using Lightboost while newer monitors don't do so as severely).

Sounds like you want to enjoy your movies and single player games, so the Dell is a good option there.  The older S2716DGR is now not so overpriced in comparison to the S2719DGF, and it offers a Lightboost mode, so that could be an option.  I wish I had gone with that one, but it was not going on sale at the time I wanted to buy and didn't look like it would ever go under $350 (which since it has) so that I could have had my cake and eat it too, lol.

Also the S2719 doesn't even have DVI, so you have to use HDMI or DisplayPort.  And if you're going to use Gsync, then you have to use DisplayPort with your Nvidia card.  Nvidia is not currently supporting Freesync over HDMI for computer monitors.  They are starting to support HDMI Freesync with TVs, so maybe they'll slowly add that support for PC monitors too.  Who the fuck knows, though.

Yeah, the last time I played an competitive MP game was OW in 2017. Don't think I have played a Multiplayer FPS since I last played OW. Just MMOs and RPGs. Never used the lightboost mode and not really sure what it does so I don't think that will get me to get the older model over the cheaper newer. 

I considered getting the TN Dell for my new rig. I have a nixeus edg 27 on my current pc (that I will still use regularly) and had a hard time giving up IPS. However, that Dell had my attention. It seems to be one of the best Tan panels out there. 

I thought ultra low motion blur usually required someone to turn off adaptive sync?

Anyway, I’m glad I could help make a suggestion and hope it works out!

Lightboost makes it look and kind of act like a CRT, in terms of motion and blurring.  A CRT back in the day lit lit up one line of the screen at a time, then moved to the next line of the screen, and then moved to the next line, but after it stopped lighting the previous line that previous line was basically dark until the electron beam came around to light it up again at the fixed interval refresh rate.  This alternating pattern of light/dark eliminated the visible blurring.    In an LCD, every pixel will light up at the same exact time rather than going line by line down the screen, and then refresh together at the fixed interval.  So then TN panels began to emulate the CRT effect by inserting an entirely black screen in between each of its refreshes.  So you get your normal image, then a black screen, then a normal image, then a black screen, and etc.

And you do have to turn off Freesync.  Although I think Asus just released a high end monitor recently that can do both for the first time.

So, since you can't use Freesync and ULMB, if your game's framerate falls below the fixed refresh rate you set for the monitor, then games will appear choppy/stuttering.  It won't actually be stuttering (so you'll get your normal input lag and mouse responsiveness), it will just appear that way.  So when you use  ULMB it's definitely best to always have the framerate higher than the refresh rate, especially for online games.  If you're playing single player and want to use ULMB, then go ahead and enable normal V-sync to get rid of image tearing.

I guess my only complaint is that there seems to be a yellow tint

JunpvQ1.jpg

Not too sure how that comes across on your screen. Well, either the Dell had a yellow tint or the Asus has a blue tint. I kinda wanna mess with the settings, or even install an ICC profile but I am afraid I might mess things up. Like, maybe it is just a new monitor placebo effect, but Fallout 4 seems to be looking better at 1440p. I guess something that will take some getting use to is the smaller everything because the screen is larger. I am tempted to up the UI scale to 125% but I think I'd rather just get use to the normal. 

So, I up the saturation a bunch. Defaults are all 50% but I upped the R and G to 80% and the B to 100%. I lowered the gain of the r and g a bit, to 94% and 92%. I also lowered the gamma in the Nvidia control panel to 0.91. Brightness and contrast are at 80 on the monitor. Oh, and I lowered the offset to 40% on the monitor. This is all using the Custom Color profile. 

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There isn't a color temperature menu option in the monitor controls?

There is a warm preset and a cool preset, but the only advanced color options on the monitor are Gain, Offset, Hue, and Saturation.

16 hours ago, Bacon said:

Cool is too blue as it is on most devices. It is fine now with the changes I have made. 

The OCD in me gives you major rep for rolling with 2 different brand monitors.  I had a similar problem with the too blue or too yellow on my monitors at work once and no matter the settings I messed with, I could never get it close.  My boss ended up just replacing the other monitor for me with same model since I kept complaining lol.  Glad it worked out for you.

2 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

The OCD in me gives you major rep for rolling with 2 different brand monitors.  I had a similar problem with the too blue or too yellow on my monitors at work once and no matter the settings I messed with, I could never get it close.  My boss ended up just replacing the other monitor for me with same model since I kept complaining lol.  Glad it worked out for you.

I mean, I am happy with the colors now, but the Asus is still more more on the blue end and the Dell is still more red. I was just able to get the screens to a similar kind of vibrance but the tone difference is till there, just less noticeable.  Also, despite them both being Asus, my other monitors had this same issue. My oldest is more red/yellow like the Dell but the tint is even stronger. 

Well, I have have only had a the monitor for a few days, but there something that is kind of hard to ignore and that is the backlight bleed. I noticed it in pictures online but I had assumed that it wouldn't be an issue. It wasn't at first. I have really only been playing bright and colorful games that aren't very dark so it wasn't an issue, but then I tried watching the new EP of The Mandalorian and it became very noticeable. And then I tried out a game(RE2make) that is quite dark and the BLB was so bad it was extremely distracting. If you look at the following picture:

f94iZQa.jpg

You can notice this crescent U shape on our right hand side. Well, that crescent shape comes through vividly in darker games and darker shows.

You can see it even better on my YouTube subscription feed. 

wM9umbt.jpg

Just as a reference, by older monitor does not have this issue:

s8OD8d4.jpg

There is also some pretty bad top and bottom BLB as well, but it isn't noticeable in game unless the cutscenes are widescreen like how the mandalorian is filmed. 

1iaPCYT.jpg

You can really see the glow from the top and bottom strongly in that picture. I really wish the show took up the full screen. The black bars are just awful, BLB or not. 

When the image is brighter, the glow from the top and bottom is less pronounced. Of course the crescent shape isn't noticeable as well. 

n3iDeCT.jpg

Here is a scene from the show where you can clearly see each issue.

jEL8ecV.jpg

I have read that some people have had the "buttprint" go away a week or so after using it so I won't sent it back right away, but if it persists then I might just send it back. It is simply far to noticeable for me to be willing to keep the monitor. If images never got dark then it wouldn't be an issue, but games often have very dark areas and this would be very distracting. I don't care all that much about the top and bottom light bleed, but that crescent is too much for me. 

@Bacon

I'll go back to my original recommendations, although you will have to pay more: 

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF  

You can also go for the LG 27GL850, but it's more expensive and I've heard really not much better.

You can also shop for the Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD, but buy it from a place you can return it in case there is backlight issues or issues with overdrive since it hasn't been reviewed by third parties. It goes for cheap. I bought one for $280 recently.