Verizon unveils 5G coverage maps—and they are not impressive

Verizon unveils 5G coverage maps—and they are not impressive

You can check out Verizon's new coverage maps that show 5G mobile deployment in 18 cities on the Verizon website, and we'll show you some highlights in this article. In many of the maps, you'll see one or two densely populated areas covered by 5G, with just small pockets of 5G scattered throughout the surrounding streets. You'll also see a lot of areas where there is 5G on each street but not between each street, suggesting that Verizon 5G doesn't penetrate indoors.

It's clear that 5G isn't the revolutionary technology promised by carriers and government officials like Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai, who has stoked 5G hype while attempting to preempt regulation by local governments. AT&T and other mobile carriers have urged the FCC to exclude 5G from the government's data collection. Even though Verizon and T-Mobile have voluntarily published 5G coverage maps, an FCC requirement could force carriers to provide more accurate and detailed data than they are sharing today.

I figured it had to be something this abysmal when I tried a bunch of different Los Angeles neighborhoods and couldn't find a single address that worked—and then was doubly sure when Verizon was refusing to provide any maps when I asked.

Thankfully, as I posted about on GI, I just got Starry installed yesterday, so Verizon leaving me hanging on this is now a moot point.