Future computer tech possibilities and ideas

What interesting new computer tech or programs are you looking forward to? This could be the thread for new and older articles?

My list is

Quantum Computers-5-10 years away?

Flexible smart pads and computers

https://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/future-tech/mit-breakthrough-means-your-next-computer-could-be-even-thinner-and-flexible-too-1313923

graphene and carbon nanotubes for transistors- which is probably 10-20 years away?

https://semiengineering.com/whats-next-for-transistors-and-systems/

https://semiengineering.com/silicon-cmos-architecture-for-a-spin-based-quantum-computer/

@legend Does this seem like a good idea? 

On 7/24/2018 at 12:51 AM, Reputator said:

Advances in battery technology that....you know, make it to market.

Definitely this.  If there was better battery tech, then devices like the Nintendo Switch could be much more powerful, without getting bulky.  

I would love a laptop and a phone that I didn't need to charge every day as well. 

1 hour ago, JosephManderley said:

Definitely this.  If there was better battery tech, then devices like the Nintendo Switch could be much more powerful, without getting bulky.  

I would love a laptop and a phone that I didn't need to charge every day as well. 

Just connect your devices to this and you should be good.

Spoiler

491863034_b1b9228be8_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/strange-metals-cuprate-superconductors?tgt=nr

Strange metals are “really one of the most interesting things to happen in physics” in recent decades, says theoretical physicist Chandra Varma of the University of California, Riverside, who was not involved with the research. The theory that explains the behavior of standard metals can’t account for strange metals, so “a completely new kind of fundamental physics” is needed.

The metallic curios’ idiosyncrasies relate to their resistivity — how difficult it is for electric current to flow through them. As scientists crank up a strange metal’s temperature, its resistivity increases in lockstep: Double the temperature and you double the resistivity. That’s unusual: In most metals, the change in resistivity is more complex. For example, at low temperatures, the resistivity of a normal metal like copper would hardly change as the temperature inched up.

you guys have already covered some of the biggest advancements, but I'll add:

AI - its evolution may be a given that it goes hand in hand with more powerful hardware, but its continued pace of development is crucial to the future of everything technological, including the future of the hardware it rides on. 

Higher quality VR/AR lenses (allows for smaller, lighter headsets with better FOV, advances in resolution aren't worth much without better lenses!)

As mentioned before, Batteries, batteries, batteries! There are so many uses for more efficient power units in an array of devices!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 6:59 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

you guys have already covered some of the biggest advancements, but I'll add:

AI - its evolution may be a given that it goes hand in hand with more powerful hardware, but its continued pace of development is crucial to the future of everything technological, including the future of the hardware it rides on. 

Higher quality VR/AR lenses (allows for smaller, lighter headsets with better FOV, advances in resolution aren't worth much without better lenses!)

As mentioned before, Batteries, batteries, batteries! There are so many uses for more efficient power units in an array of devices!

If possible maybe more environmentally friendly batteries also?

The Verge is doing a whole series on batteries right now. In one story they talk to an expert and ask what the chances are that any kind of great new battery tech making it to market in the next 5 years is. His answer: zero. The battery tech that has the most promise is largely the same tech that had the most promise a decade ago, and it's not really any closer to market than it was then. There is a ton of research going into batteries, but nothing to expect in the near future.

On 7/18/2018 at 5:17 PM, Remarkableriots said:

Quantum Computers-5-10 years away?

I think that quantum computers are a good deal further away than that, at least in terms of being useful to any real degree. They're only now getting to the point that they're maybe faster than a traditional computer at some things, but there still aren't great uses for them, and I don't expect that to change.

On 7/18/2018 at 5:17 PM, Remarkableriots said:

Flexible smart pads and computers

Word is Samsung is looking to introduce a flexible device as soon as next year. If it's anything like their curved screens it'll take a few years for it to be worthwhile in any particular way, but this is something I think we'll be seeing sooner than later.

• Thanks 1