College Football 2019 - The Thread of Inevitable Alabama vs Clemson Part V

Keyser_Soze

Iron Bowl was great. Happy for Auburn. Also happy that Florida beat them in a great game this year.

Also happy to close this decade with a win over FSU at the Swamp. I was at the last home game in which Florida beat FSU in 09; it's been a while.

Two great seasons in a row. Looking forward to the bowl game!

49 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Iron Bowl was great. Happy for Auburn. Also happy that Florida beat them in a great game this year.

Also happy to close this decade with a win over FSU at the Swamp. I was at the last home game in which Florida beat FSU in 09; it's been a while.

You're just a happy guy!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

At rank 17, I don't think they're facing us. Iirc, both teams were ranked higher and closer together last year.

I believe most of these bowls have contracts to take teams based on their conference seeding, not poll ranking (outside of the CFP itself).

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I believe most of these bowls have contracts to take teams based on their conference seeding, not poll ranking (outside of the CFP itself).

You're right (at least for the Big Ten, I don't know about some of the other conferences) in that overall ranking doesn't really come into it.  However, I think it is a little more complicated than placement in the conference.  Bowls sign contracts with the conference to host one of their teams, and in which order those teams are selected by the bowls  -- but which one goes is also influenced by whether a team played in a bowl the previous year (and over a pre-determined time span).  

My understanding for Big 10 in 2020 (some bowls alternate between conferences)

CFP Semi-Final Bowl gets priority

1)  Rose Bowl gets B10 champion (if unavailable gets first pick of alternate, B10 teams can play in back-to-back years)

2)  Citrus Bowl gets second pick

3) Outback Bowl gets second pick

4)  Holiday Bowl gets fourth pick

5) Tax Slayer gets fifth pick (I think)

Michigan has played in the Citrus/Outback bowls in recent years, so will not be picked for those bowls if it is possible for another Big Ten team to go.  Which is why I think most observers are picking it for the Holiday Bowl.

It warms my heart that Georgia is doing worse against LSU on neutral territory (yet still in Georgia) than Florida did at LSU when they kept in neck-and-neck until the 4th quarter. :p 

Still tons of time left, though, so UGA could strike back in the second half. 

Lane Kiffin is going to Ole Miss. Wonder how long he'll stay. :p 

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

So, Georgia is out and Oklahoma is in?

Has to be. Maybe different if it was a tight game decided late, but LSU had complete control from the beginning and was a couple of dropped passes away from a 40+ point win.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Was gonna put out a welfare check on you. 

I'd rather lose to Wisconsin in the B1G championship than getting blown out by Iowa or Purdue in some bullshit game mid season.

I think it's clear that Justin Fields isn't 100% and that's hindering their play calling. Not really having the rpo is a big problem

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They lost to Illinois (.500-ish team) and also shut out by Ohio State earlier in the season

The problem with Oklahoma, is they haven't beat anyone decent.  'Cause they play in the Big 12.

Wisconsin has beat in Michigan, Iowa and Minnesota (and potentially Ohio State), 'cause they actually play in a decent conference.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The problem with Oklahoma, is they haven't beat anyone decent.  'Cause they play in the Big 12.

Wisconsin has beat in Michigan, Iowa and Minnesota (and potentially Ohio State), 'cause they actually play in a decent conference.

Best case they could be 4 with osu at 3.

OSU keeps this close they're in even with a loss.