Ghostrunner II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

14 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Nope. I've never used WASD. I use the numpad for movement. Although for sprints/dodges in games, I always use the thumb button(s) on my mouse. Having them on a key instead of a mouse button feels slower and clunky.

That seems so weird to me, but I guess it makes sense. I know a lot of people move to ESDF or RDFG so that they have more keys available to them.

I've noticed that pushing mouse buttons moves my cursor ever so slightly so I avoid using them for buttons I would need to use while ADSing or something like that.

Although that might just be a me thing.

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

Does this play more like a Time Trial type game where you are trying to beat times?  Know next to nothing about it.  This was also the game that showcased Raytracing quite a bit right? I still need a game for that, maybe I'll grab it.

Uhh, it seems like it sort of might, but by default it definitely plays out like a linear story, just broken into stages. I just noticed that when I beat the first level, it tracked my time and deaths, so I wanted to hit 0 deaths and get it done fast because I love that kind of stuff, have since Super Meat Boy.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Nope. I've never used WASD. I use the numpad for movement. Although for sprints/dodges in games, I always use the thumb button(s) on my mouse. Having them on a key instead of a mouse button feels slower and clunky.

Yeah I changed dodge to mouse 4 and it made all the difference, it was almost unplayable with it on shift. 

I picked it up while it was still on sale on steam.

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

That seems so weird to me, but I guess it makes sense. I know a lot of people move to ESDF or RDFG so that they have more keys available to them.

I've noticed that pushing mouse buttons moves my cursor ever so slightly so I avoid using them for buttons I would need to use while ADSing or something like that.

Although that might just be a me thing.

I knew a guy in high school who used the numberpad for Quake 3 Arena. I tried it out for Team Fotress and CS but have since gone back to WASD ways.

• 6 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghostrunner II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Official Announcement Trailer

86c7b5a4bef64724d70d3dfe4fe1414675b73c3f
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

First gameplay details include the introduction of a motorbike.

Ghostrunner 2 explores the world of Ghostrunner, with the player visiting more places, not only Dharma Tower. The game’s story takes place one year after the events of the first game. The people of Dharma Tower are rebuilding, commerce begins to flow, and there is hope for the future. However, with the Keymaster dead, a power vacuum develops with deadlier enemies looking to conquer Dharma tower.

Ghostrunner 2 offers everything you loved about the original, but with even more exciting features. While the first game certainly had some challenging bosses, the sequel takes it to the next level. Get ready to face off against some of the toughest opponents you’ve ever encountered in a video game.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghostrunner II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 2023) - Official Announcement Trailer
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
ghostrunner-2-key-art.jpg?width=1200&hei
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We've played Ghostrunner 2 ahead of its release on October 26th, and came away very impressed with its new motorcycle.

I will hold my hands up and say that I didn't get on too well with One More Level's first Ghostrunner game. While its one-hit-kill combat was fast, flashy and infinitely more appealing than some of the other neon lambs being led to the cyberpunk slaughter in the back end of 2020, its precise platforming and marksman-grade enemies made it a hard game to love while you were actually playing it. But having sat down for 45 minutes with Ghostrunner 2 at this year's Gamescom, I'm pleased to report that this is a sequel done right, building on everything you know and (probably) love about the first game, while also ushering in new, optional concessions to help make its still wonderfully gory swordplay much more approachable for old two-left-thumbs-McGee over here. Then there's the motorbike, which… phwoar. Let me tell you about the motorbike.

I'm not usually one to coo over cars and bikes in games, but when I got behind the wheel of Ghostrunner 2's cyber bike midway through my demo session and started careening up onto walls, sliding around full 360-degree pipes and dodging all manner of vent and highway-based obstacles, I thought, hot damn, this is hecking cool. I was still dying left, right and centre, hoofing my bike into the void because I'd missed a jump or hadn't quite cottoned on to the fact that the way forward wasn't in fact in front of me anymore but at a steep 90 degrees to my right, yet the power fantasy of being a cyborg ninja on wheels never left my rearview mirror.

Rather, I suddenly felt like I was playing F-Zero GX again, which, given we haven't had a new one of those in a very, very long time at this point, gets a big fat tick from me - especially when it harks back to my favourite GX story mode mission of the lot, Save Jody, where you're boosting like no tomorrow through a power plant exhaust pipe while everything's blowing up behind you. I realise this is a highly specific example that probably only resonates to me and me alone, but trust me, there are a lot of great similarities here. In Ghostrunner 2, your mission is to stay in range of a big bad's signal you've been tracking (otherwise it's a swift instant restart back to the last, and still very generous, checkpoint), which means riding and boosting the speed of your bike to almost face-melting speeds.

gR8RLygnmS52A79YBUc4af-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Gamescom 2023 | "You're not so good at the moving, but very good at the killing"

I've never been the most coordinated person, but in Ghostrunner 2 I'm a one-woman calamity. Playing on the Gamescom 2023 show floor was my first experience with developer One More Level's fast-paced action series, and, suffice to say, getting the hang of one-hit insta-kills, wall-running, and grappling hook traversal took me a bit longer to get used to than I care to admit.

The good news is that the game is brilliant. I was sliding down steep metal tubes and throwing shuriken stars at flammable barrels, parrying bullets, and slicing my way through Ghostrunner 2's samurais with glee before long. My true downfall is, well, the amount of times I fall. Right off the edge of most buildings, in fact.

I hoot whenever I meet a new enemy, relishing the chance to perfect my parries and blocks. Timing is everything in Ghostrunner 2, as is the razor-fine joy and peril of a one-hit kill. Similar to the likes of Gungrave Gore, I've never played an action game before that feels so relentlessly keen to never, ever let up. My fast-twich responses are in overdrive as I try to perfect a balance between staying focussed and staying on the move. I've barely grappled and hopped my way around another steel tower before I have eight pistol-wielding baddies to slice and dice in quick succession. Other devs peer at my screen as I curse the heavens above and the pistol guys below them. They all, once again, nod sympathetically.

One of my favorite things to do in Ghostrunner 2, aside from being really bad at platforming, is finding new ways to the same target. During my short preview session alone I'm given three instances where I can take out certain targets in any order I like. Should I grapple over this fence, immediately striking down one of those dreaded pistol guys with a well-timed dash? Or should I keep trying to slide down vents and blow things up with my throwing stars?

ghostrunner-2-preview-gamescom-min.jpg
WWW.THELOADOUT.COM

Developer One More Level doubles down on speed and ferocity in our Ghostrunner 2 preview, as subtle tweaks and seamless movement signal a sturdy sequel.

That glorious sense of speed and agility still feels fresh, as I launch off walls into a sensational grapple hook/dash combination. Ghostrunner 2 feels tighter and somehow even more responsive than its predecessor. Movement glides along with pin-point accuracy, encouraging you to dive deeper into a risk-reward relationship with Jack’s prowess. Each department of traversing the environment is excellently seamless. There’s a real sense of making Ghostrunner 2 far more approachable too, especially for players who haven’t played the first game.

Don’t get me wrong, Ghostrunner 2 still offers a challenge, but its intricate refinements to traversal and combat are likely to instill confidence in those afraid of its seemingly daunting pace. Movement doesn’t get you out of Dharma Alive, though. Combat in Ghostrunner 2 is the stuff of dreams. I found myself getting cockier with each enemy, testing their resolve while they tested mine. The inclusion of ‘active blocking’ means you can keep your guard up on the go, waiting for an opening to strike. Jack can parry those baddies now, and let me tell you, it doesn’t take long to feel like a parry god.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghostrunner II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 26 October 2023) - Gamescom 2023 demo hands-on previews and Overview video
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghostrunner II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 26 October 2023) - demo now available on Steam/PSN/XBL
  • 1 month later...

Game Information
Game Title: Ghostrunner 2

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Oct 26, 2023)
  • PC (Oct 26, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Oct 26, 2023)

Developer: One More Level
Publisher: 505 Games

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 80 average - 81% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

GameGrin - Artura Dawn - 10 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is an exemplary sequel, improving upon the original in every way. With better Energy systems, delightful and responsive bike levels, fantastic bosses, and the same quick-paced gameplay from the original, it's a no-brainer for anyone who remotely enjoyed the first.

Super Joystick - Fred Morris - 4.8 / 5

Video games are finally back. Finally, we have another good 3D platformer that isn’t just a Nintendo game. I mean, those are great, but I want more. And so, our favorite AA-grade hack-and-slash ninja platformer is back with a sequel, with more hacking, more slashing, more ninja and a bike.

DualShockers - Jack Coleman - 9.5 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is a perfectly executed cyberpunk slasher, providing an unmatched level of fluidity, engaging combat and a robust narrative.

Rectify Gaming - Will "Fncwill" - 9.5 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 surpasses its predecessor in nearly every aspect. It retains the heart-pounding, skill-based combat that made the first game a standout, while expanding the world, offering new gameplay elements, and enriching the narrative. Ghostrunner 2 cements its place as a must-play title in the hardcore first-person slasher genre, and its improvements make it a game you’ll want to return to time and time again.

Generación Xbox - Javi Striker - Spanish - 93 / 100

In conclusion, Ghostrunner 2 is a textbook sequel, with an obvious and perfect evolution, with an intriguing story that hooks you from the first moment and that is accompanied by fast and precise gameplay that is polished to the limit of good and a gameplay that gets more additions as you progress. It is highly recommended for fans of the first installment, lovers of cyberpunk and also for those who like speed and putting their reflexes to the limit. And well, the levels of the bike... What an incredible thing.

33bits - Fernando Sánchez - Spanish - 92 / 100

Ghostrunner 2 can be called a frenetic first-person action platformer like its first installment, which takes the best of it and enhances it with new playable possibilities and some very interesting new features such as the inclusion of the motorcycle. It is possible that the playable core is continuous with respect to the previous game, but it is not a negative thing when the first game was already outstanding. If you liked Ghostrunner, this sequel is a must, and if you haven't played the first one, you no longer have an excuse to pick up both.

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner II is an incredibly challenging and incredibly fun game that will test your every Ninja reflex and keep you coming back for more.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 9 / 10

No need to beat around the bush, Ghostrunner 2 is a must-have for all lovers of challenge and fast FPS.

GamingTrend - Ben Lombardo - 90 / 100

Once again, One More Level has created a speedrunner's dream. For new players it might be somewhat hard to master, but once you get the gameplay down pat you'll experience one of the most rewarding and unique titles of 2023. It's so much fun to play, and the new abilities and changes are a welcome addition. The inclusion of the motorcycle, whilst somewhat janky, is a breath of fresh air to the core gameplay loop. One More Level has once again put their heart and soul into producing a fantastic game.

Garage Band Gamers - Chad Johnson - 9 / 10

If you like difficult games that push you to your limit without doing so for the sake of just being difficult, Ghostrunner 2 is the game for you. It’s got everything the original game offered and then some. Here’s hoping that when Ghostrunner 3 inevitably releases at the end of the current console cycle (sooner would be cool too I guess), we’ll be able to revisit the motorcycle chase with the same level of improvement and care that went into every other area of this release.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9 / 10

You'll suffer hundreds of deaths in Ghostrunner 2, but every single one is worth it to move you forward step-by-bloody-step.

IGN - Mitchell Saltzman - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is a sequel that builds upon everything that made the first game great, leading to 10-12 hours of absolutely action packed, high speed, cyberninja excellence, along with a great, replayable, roguelike mode as well.

Multiplayer First - Dean James - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 takes what was already a great game and takes things to the next level in the even more ambitious follow-up. The gameplay itself is largely the same as before, but now you have even more abilities like the shuriken that make the adrenaline-pumping combat even more satisfying upon surviving each battle. Traveling outside of Dharma Tower with the motorcycle was a refreshing change of pace that we really hope to see expanded upon even further in a hopeful sequel (or as part of its post-launch plans). Ghostrunner 2 is not only a fantastic follow-up to the original, but one that could easily be enjoyed by those who have never played the first one as well.

Noisy Pixel - Azario Lopez - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 embodies the epitome of a well-executed sequel. It doesn’t overshadow its precursor; instead, it leverages the original as a foundation for expansion and enhancement. The world-building and character development represent a significant leap in quality, and the unwavering pace of action propels it into a class of its own. The introduction of new abilities, expanded non-linear level design, and refined movement mechanics render this game a must-play for those looking to hone their 3D platforming skills.

Oyungezer Online - Cevdet Emre Kızılcan - Turkish - 9 / 10

If we weren't in a year full of good games, I would definitely say "the best game I've played recently" for Ghostrunner 2. It is one of the games that should definitely be mentioned years later when we talk about "what the hell was 2023?".

PCGamesN - Lauren Bergin - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 improves upon everything that made its predecessor great. Framed by a stunning, neon-bathed city with a soundtrack that's to die for, One More Level's latest is a high-octane parkour adventure that you really don't want to miss.

TheSixthAxis - Gareth Chadwick - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is undoubtably excellent. While it's a tough and challenging game, the quick reloads help alleviate frustration and replace it with the "just one more try" drive to overcome it. There's a handful of small control niggles that might annoy, and if repeatedly dying is a pet video game peeve of yours, it might not be for you, but if the game gets its hooks into you, it's a sheer, visceral delight of dude slicing, shuriken flinging, laser dodging, taking a bullet to the face, reloading, and trying it all again.

Use a Potion - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 improves upon the original in every way, with the refined mechanics, new additions, and smarter design making for a very impressive sequel. It’s equally brutal to play too, with a TON of deaths suffered during my playthrough – but hey, that’s all part of the fun, right? It feels like a genuine evolution of what was already a very fun formula, and whilst it does have some technical issues that could cause some frustration, there’s no denying that Ghostrunner 2 is a stylish and thrilling experience.

VideoGamer - Tom Bardwell - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is bottled mechanical magic, a blisteringly-paced celebration of movement where death is a rite of passage.

WellPlayed - Kieran Stockton - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is ninja leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor, and though the challenge can be daunting, the expanded toolset at your disposal makes it more than surmountable, with every innumerable death an invitation to better emulate the cool cyborg ninja you truly are.

WhatIfGaming - Ali Hashmi - 9 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is a must-play action game that expertly blends fast-paced action with smooth parkour gameplay. Its stunning art direction, memorable antagonists, and engaging upgrade system add up to an experience that meaningfully builds on the original. The undercooked semi-open world sections and stuttering issues on PC get in the way of perfection, but this is a worthy sequel that never loses steam throughout its thoroughly entertaining campaign.

Arabhardware - Ahmed Yousry - Arabic - 8.5 / 10

A great sequel that takes everything the first game offered and adds a set of new mechanics and ideas which elevate the exciting action slasher to a whole new level. The combat and parkour are faster, deadlier, and more violent. And although some of the new mechanics like the motorbike isn't utilized as I would have liked, the overall experience is great for those who fell in love with the first title.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 8.5 / 10

In many ways, Ghostrunner 2 is a massive step up from its predecessor. Bigger setpieces, new locations, and the introduction of the motorbike led to the creation of an even more epic experience. But the high highs, like the epic bosses, are brought down by odd pacing issues…

Cultured Vultures - Ashley Bates - 8.5 / 10

A sophomore cyberpunk slasher, Ghostrunner 2 successfully builds on the foundation of the original game with new abilities and gimmicks.

Everyeye.it - Riccardo Cantù   - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Ghostrunner 2, ultimately, is a corrected and enhanced version of the title that had thrilled millions of players three years ago now.

Fun Factor - Diogo Arez - Portuguese - 8.5 / 10

Ghostrunner II is a frenetic and tremendously enjoyable FPS that builds upon everything that made its predecessor great and introduces some amazing mechanics that keep it all satisfying, and above all fun, although the motorcycle sections and some minor bugs dragged the experience a little bit it's still an easy recommendation for fans of the genre.

GAMES.CH - Sven Raabe - German - 85%

Ghostrunner II is an adrenaline-pumping tour de force full of brutal sword fights, challenging platformer passages and high-speed motorbike races. Apart from minor weaknesses, you can expect one of the best (and most difficult) action games of the year.

Game Informer - Wesley LeBlanc - 8.5 / 10

With Ghostrunner 2 behind me, I’m thrilled more of this series exists. Even after rolling credits, I'm excited to tear through its levels once more to find collectibles like sword and glove skins and old-world artifacts like VHS tapes, and try my hand some more at the delectably simple roguelite minigame. Though Ghostrunner 2 falters in a few ways, like its more open-ended sections and superfluous wingsuit, what remains in the hours outside of those missteps is its best-in-class parkour action. And like its predecessor, it remains a damn treat.

PS4Blog.net - EdEN - 8.5 / 10

A fast-paced first-person action platformer that improves on its prequel

TechRaptor - Tyler Chancey - 8.5 / 10

Barring some physics and collision issues, Ghostrunner 2 is an action-packed follow-up to the original filled with exciting setpieces and satisfying action platforming.

WayTooManyGames - Kyle Nicol - 8.5 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is an utterly exhilarating and constantly exciting experience. It is bigger and more ambitious than its predecessor, but that doesn’t mean it is always better than it. It has a few issues here and there, not to mention the fact that some of its additions and overall changes to the formula won’t exactly click with everyone. With that being said, it is still an excellent game.

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 85%

Furnishing Jack with a pretty significant upgrade, Ghostrunner 2 is a more refined, leaner, and more sophisticated game than its predecessor – bigger, better, and badder. Badder as in gooder.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.4 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 offers the same frustrating puzzle battles and parkour sections as its predecessor, but ups the ante here with better blocking, new abilities, an outdoor world, and the motorcycle paired with a good amount of polish. The frequent gameplay flow and upbeat techno music are only held back by a negligible story and a somewhat decelerating midsection.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 83 / 100

Ghostrunner 2 demands the speed of a speedrunner, the skill of a no-hitter, and the patience of a Buddhist monk. Its difficulty doesn't make it suitable for all palates, but if you agree with its game philosophy, here is an injection of adrenaline that you will enjoy until the end.

MondoXbox - Giuseppe Genga - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 takes a big step forward compared to the first game, in all respects: quality, variety, longevity, and game design. A title that is finally mature and capable of entertaining from start to finish, with tough but well-balanced challenges in which the player feels closer to success with each new attempt. Too bad for a somewhat foggy story and some inaccuracies in the controls, but if you want a challenging game that tests your reflexes, it definitely deserves your attention.

Gamersky - 心灵奇兵 - Chinese - 8.2 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is a near flawless sequel that retains all the outstanding aspects of its predecessor, while making significant improvements to the level design and gameplay. Even more satisfying are the two non-linear, sandbox-style levels that expand the world both inside and outside of Dharma City.

Areajugones - Ronald Goncalves - Spanish - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is, above all, a great video game. Strictly speaking, it is a pleasant sequel that represents a noticeable improvement in plot, playability, visuals and sound; an achievement that is, due to the quality of its predecessor, a milestone in itself. However, its profound technical shortcomings, as well as the misinterpretation of what made the original experience so genuine and fresh, keep it from transcending as much as the first, although it continues to be a highly recommended product.

BaziCenter - Mohammad Talebian - Persian - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 builds on the successful formula of the first game and improves it in many areas, but the open world part of the gameplay feels shallow and can't keep up with the lightning pace of the main story.

Destructoid - Andrea Gonzalez - 8 / 10

All I can say after finishing Ghostrunner 2 is that I want more. Considering that was my reaction at the end of the original Ghostrunner, I can say One More Level created a solid follow-up. Both titles might have had “meh” narratives, but the core gameplay is so fantastic I honestly didn’t care while I was playing. At its best, Ghostrunner 2 is the first game but better, and at its worst, it’s just a little less polished than its predecessor.

ElderPlayers - Ibrahim Hamed - Arabic - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 presents an almost addicting gameplay, based on what was brought in the first entry in the franchise and add up to it. It also brings new refreshing elements in progression system, with an excellent & diverse level design and battle system, summing up to be a hugely developed experience and much fun to play than the original. However, it does repeats some mission ideas and brings about unneeded repeating, also there is lost potential in some aspects that could've given the game more value in terms of gameplay.

GGRecon - Tarran Stockton - 4 / 5

Ghostrunner 2 is exactly the kind of sequel you'd want after the first game - expanding on the concept with more gameplay options, encounters, and mechanics to great effect...Not all the improvements are straight home runs, and some bugginess does occasionally frustrate - but they aren't big enough deals to distract from what is an overwhelmingly fun gameplay loop.

GameBlast - Alexandre Galvão - Portuguese - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 was developed as an honest sequel for those who became fans of the series in 2020 and now have the opportunity to once again wield a sonic blade to dismember enemies and perform impressive movements to walk through the psychedelic settings of a cyberpunk world with interesting stories to tell and more bodies to tear apart. The sequel is a welcome evolution of its predecessor, with substantial improvements to gameplay and visual aspects, maintaining the thrilling action that characterizes the series, while providing a more controlled and manageable pace. It's a sequel that should please both fans of the first game and new players looking for action and challenge.

GameHaunt - Andrei Cortez - 4 / 5

Ghostrunner 2 successfully surpasses its predecessor in various aspects, fulfilling the primary objective of a sequel to evolve.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10

It’s a shame that Ghostrunner 2 isn’t a little more polished, as its imperfections can frustrate a little at times, but this is still a mighty achievement for One More Level. It remains a challenging experience that’s not for the fainthearted, but it packs in more variety and depth, expanding the world of Ghostrunner to levels we never anticipated or thought possible. If you’re a fan of the original Ghostrunner this is an absolute must-have, but we reckon this is a good place for newcomers to jump in too. Although some might want to wait until a patch or two has landed, just to smooth over some of its rough edges.

Gamefa - Mostafa Zahedi - Persian - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is everything we expected it to be. Chaotic, fast and challenging. creativity plays a key role in Combat and how you approach different situations.  from seamless and smooth parkour to amazing variety of tools and abilities, Ghostrunner 2 delivers an amazing journey from start to finish.

Gameffine - Jay Krishnan - 80 / 100

Ghostrunner 2 is a solid entry that builds on the foundation of the first game. Almost everything has been tweaked or expanded to provide a lengthier, more varied campaign that retains the precise platforming and fluid one-hit combat. While the PC performance is not optimal and some of the new additions disrupt the pace of the game, Ghostrunner 2 does enough to please fans of the first game and then some more.

Gamepressure - Jacob Nowak - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is as exciting, hectic, challenging and satisfying as the original. It occasionally fails with some of the new ideas and for certain players, the degree of similarity between the prequel and sequel might be too great to warrant a purchase. However, it still is an incredibly satisfying and pretty slasher.

Gamer Guides - Christian Wait - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner II masterfully carries forward its signature acrobatic combat, embedding it seamlessly into a dystopian backdrop. Despite some new gameplay aspects needing a touch-up, its foundational experience is distinctively gratifying.

GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 sticks to the fast-paced formula of "Live, die, repeat" while adding new mechanics, excellent levels and additions like the motorcycle. Some areas could use more polish, but as a whole, it's a futuristic rollercoaster from start to finish.

Gert Lush Gaming - Jim Smale - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is a visually stunning game with fast-paced combat and parkour gameplay that requires quick reflexes and strategic thinking. It can be challenging at times due to its steep learning curve and one-hit-one-death mechanic but offers a rewarding experience for those who persevere. It is more of the same so you know what to expect. It is a game that delights and frustrates in equal measure.

Hey Poor Player - James Davie - 4 / 5

A sequel’s primary objective should be to evolve its predecessor in every way that matters, and in most ways, Ghostrunner 2 accomplishes this to great effect. There’s a plethora of new and explosive special abilities, better interactions with characters and gameplay that’s as dynamic and viscerally satisfying as ever. It provides a tough but fair challenge that’s never too difficult and can be overcome with persistence and changing things up. Ghostrunner 2 is an example of a model sequel that improves on almost every facet of the first game. Yes, the dark, concrete arenas and rooftops grow stale, and there’s still more room to make the characters and story more substantial, but what’s here is refined and even more badass than what came before. If the first Ghostrunner put you off, you should give this one a slash.

LevelUp - Ulises Contreras - Spanish - 8 / 10

Even though Ghostrunner 2 only expands and improves the ideas of the original game, its parkour and combat systems remain highly enjoyable. It's a very fun and challenging experience that will excite fans of challenging games and adrenaline, even though it's not perfect.

NoobFeed - Azfar Rayan - 80 / 100

Ghostrunner 2 is simply an enhanced version of the original game. It takes the core fundamentals of Ghostrunner and enhances them in every way possible, including the way it looks, the upgrade process, skills, motorcycle gameplay, and puzzles. There is a noticeable improvement in the fluidity of movement and battle. It's a great example of a sequel that advances in some ways while also regressing in others; it has incredible highs and a few unpleasant lows. Both fans of the series and first-timers of the game can expect to have fun with this latest installment.

PSX Brasil - Vanessa Ferreira - Portuguese - 80 / 100

Ghostrunner 2 shines with its novelties, however, it sticks to the old formula of success. It has decent moments of inspiration, balanced with a familiar repetitive system. Challenging at its core, it returns even more frenetic, fun, and daring.

Play Watch Read - Jorian Non - Dutch - 8 / 10

'Ghostrunner II' is a smooth action game with a lot of challenge. Freerunning and slashing with your sword come together again in this second part. The game may have some new additions, but this does not make it any easier. A challenge with dying many times awaits you.

Prima Games - Shawn Robinson - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 does plenty to improve upon a great core gameplay loop, even if its execution isn't always as sharp.

Screen Rant - Jason Hon - 4 / 5

Despite the game's pacing issues and ability to enrage its players, Ghostrunner 2 can be a challenging game to put down. The game's exciting synth-wave tracks and well-written supporting cast pair well with its visuals and outstanding boss battles to keep players interested. Ghostrunner 2 improves on the first game in many ways, but if the sequel were an anime, a lot of it would feel like filler material between its more engaging, epic boss battles.

Shacknews - Sam Chandler - 8 / 10

One More Level has nailed the important bits in Ghostrunner 2: the combat, the movement, the visuals, the soundtrack, and the challenge. It’s all a cacophony of intense action and pulse-pounding exhilaration – it’s just that the connective tissue keeps it from being a cohesive vision. By increasing the scope and breadth of the game, Ghostrunner 2 loses part of the essence of what made the first game so great. And yet, for the faults I do have with Ghostrunner 2, it’s still an awesome game that had my head bobbing to synthwave beats as I slow-moed around lasers and turned my foes into giblets with a flick of my cybernetic katana.

Sirus Gaming - Leif Rey Bornales - 8 / 10

Overall, Ghostrunner II is a fun sequel that enhances the experience of a game that was already fun. However, removing all of this and stripping it down to the core mechanics of the game leaves you with a copy of the exact same game as before. Sure, there may have been a few additions and enhancements to the game, but whether this would be enough to compel you to buy the game is another story if you are after the game’s story though there is no doubt that you would want to buy and play this game. But if you were expecting something more out of it, then maybe you are better off playing another game.

Slant Magazine - Justin Clark - 4 / 5

At its most mundane, Jack’s travels let players float through beautifully rendered sci-fi hellscapes with steps light enough to walk on water. And at its most astonishing and electric, this is a game of balletic death-dealing that may demand perfection but rewards persistence like very few other games in recent memory.

The Game Crater - Lewis Maisel - 8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 improves and builds upon its predecessor in almost every single way. Its narrative, gameplay loop, and combat have been significantly fleshed out, and the addition of a roguelike mode and new motorcycle sequences make it a far more replayable and engrossing package overall.

TheGamer - George Foster - 4 / 5

Despite its uninteresting story and occasional jankiness, Ghostrunner 2 still manages to be a great successor by understanding why the first game was such a success, sharpening nearly every mechanic, and building upon them with the addition of the bike and wingsuit. It might not be the most innovative sequel in the world, but considering how great the original Ghostrunner already was, that’s no bad thing.

Twinfinite - Jake Su - 4 / 5

It is great that Ghostrunner 2 exists, as there are simply not many games that can match the quality of its brand of action. With its formula and level design, players are always going to be finding something new to marvel at, impressed by its thumping music and the majority of its visuals. Yet, its attempt at stringing together a more cohesive and engaging narrative is not of the same quality, which is a shame. Nevertheless, for those seeking an exhilarating time full of mindblowing moments driven by your own ingenuity, Dharma Tower lies ahead, and I hope you are ready for it.

VG247 - Connor Makar - 4 / 5

For those who gain pleasure (guilty or otherwise) from an unashamed love of katanas and cybernetic augmentation, Ghostrunner 2 is pouring the gravy you love straight down your throat.

We Got This Covered - David James - 4 / 5

The first few levels will feel overly familiar to those who played the original, but once the game grants you access to its cool-as-hell Akira-style cybercycle it hits the nitrous and bursts into hi-octane life. A razor-sharp and finely honed sequel.

IGN Italy - Damaso Scibetta - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is exactly what you'd expect. It amplifies the strengths of its predecessor with a more intricate ability system and manages a better variety of situations, yet it retains virtually all the flaws in Ghostrunner's flow. Nevertheless, it creates an always entertaining and challenging gameplay experience that you'll appreciate if you're already a fan of the original. It's not for everyone, and it will make you curse a lot as the death counter keeps rising, but its punishing nature is part of the price.

Digital Chumps - Steven McGehee - 7.6 / 10

On the whole, though, Ghostrunner 2 is a good game. It’s not my preferred type of first person action, but what it does is unique, cool, and rather well done. As mentioned out the outset, if you liked the first game and want to see a modest, but confident, evolution of that, GR2 is for you. It successfully makes the GR experience more robust without taking away from the unique action the first game offered.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.6 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 reintroduces the same formula as its predecessor, enhancing it with more open maps and new abilities for Jack, adding a touch of depth to the gameplay. While it lacks significant innovations, the gameplay formula still manages to work and entertain. However, its nature of extreme trial and error makes it a title not suited for everyone, as it can frustrate a good portion of players.

Checkpoint Gaming - Omi Koulas - 7.5 / 10

Ghostrunner II slices through a neon-soaked cyberpunk world, offering blistering parkour and ninja combat. It may stumble mid-combo with changes to gameplay causing disruption to movement flow, as well as performance issues and ambitious yet awkward motorbike sequences. Yet, it remains a fun, if imperfect, action-packed journey, great for speedrunning.

Infinite Start - Mark Fajardo - 7.5 / 10

I'd describe Ghostrunner 2 as a safe sequel. Those who love the original will almost certainly feel the same about this, just like those who hate it will probably find their opinion unchanged. If nothing else, it's a fun adventure that has a fair amount of replay value, even if some of that is simply figuring out the best way to cut down those who stand against you.

SECTOR.sk - Peter Dragula - Slovak - 7.5 / 10

This is definitely not a game for everyone, it requires skill, attention and luck, and is designed to constantly repeat the same parts of the levels until you pass them. If you enjoy it, it will be interesting for you, if not, you better skip it.

The Games Machine - Nicolò Paschetto - Italian - 7.4 / 10

Fast and furious fights in a cyberpunk world, this time also on a futuristic bike exploring post-apocalyptic lands – who wouldn't love that? Too bad a few too many puzzle keep the adrenaline rush at bay and distract from the most exciting parts of the game.

Attack of the Fanboy - Christian Bognar - 3.5 / 5

The best additions are the new forms of traversal, creating the most exciting missions of both the original and sequel combined. However, the time you spend with these is short-lived. Also, I can't help but feel the bosses were a missed opportunity, where only one stands out and makes a name for itself. Nevertheless, more of a good thing is always nice, and if you found yourself a fan of the first, you'll enjoy Ghostrunner 2, especially for the low 40-dollar price tag.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 3.5 / 5

If you liked the first Ghostrunner it’s a no brainer, for those not into reflex-focused gaming, maybe wait until it drops in price.

GamesRadar+ - Ali Jones - 3.5 / 5

Building on the excellent cyberpunk parkour of its predecessor, Ghostrunner 2 is the best freerunning game available, despite some ill-advised attempts to push the boundaries of its world.

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 7 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 follows the essence of the first game, but doesn't fly any higher. Very fast combat and frenetic parkour, but half-baked ideas. Even with its flaws, its trial-and-error philosophy offers a stimulating and fun challenge.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 70 / 100

Ghostrunner 2 is tough, and aggravatingly so by design. But it's never unfair. [...] Even with some of its unnecessary extras, it doesn't pollute the entire experience and still excels at what it delivers: parkour ninja action in the first-person degree.

Metro GameCentral - Adam Starkey - 7 / 10

An occasionally spectacular follow-up to one of the best action platformers of the last few years, which unfortunately dilutes some of its appeal by shooting for a wider audience.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Michael Leri - 7 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 goes against its programming by repeatedly slowing down, but it’s still made up of enough of its classic parts. Sprinting and dashing around the neon-lit city while cutting down its many cybernetic forces can be an empowering trip that’s only bolstered by its thumping electronic soundtrack. A strong core like this deserves to be expanded upon more robustly through its new and existing mechanics, which just isn’t the case here. Ghostrunner 2 has taken a few steps forward and a few steps back, but even though it is running in place, it’s still faster than most of its competition.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 7 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 is a good small game that offers a thrilling challenge that depends on your reflexes, as if you are a real cyborg ninja. But the lack of accessibility options for motion sickness, made me feel nauseous by the end of this experience.

PC Gamer - Luke Kemp - 65 / 100

Ghostrunner deserved a sequel; specifically, a sequel better than this one.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 6.5 / 10

Ghostrunner II, for half of a game, manages to recapture the lightning in a bottle that made the first a high-octane thrill ride. The other half is a dull, albeit thematically rich, journey to an outside world that is, in theory, worthy of the runtime but fails in practice for the kind of game Ghostrunner is.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 3 / 5

Ghostrunner 2's intense action is a fun as ever, but the ambitious sequel overthinks a lean concept with messy new features.

Eurogamer.pt - Jorge Salgado - Portuguese - 3 / 5

Otherwise, there's not much more to add: if you liked the original and/or are a fan of action games, Ghostrunner 2 will provide you with multiple hours of fun. The graphics are quite attractive, the soundtrack is electrifying and I found almost no bugs in the several hours I spent with the game. Yes, the controls are sometimes unreliable and your ninja will perform moves you didn't authorise: but when the game works properly and you perform combo after combo, flying safely through the air, there's no better feeling.

Expansive - Jay Jones - 3 / 5

Ghostrunner 2 follows on very closely from the first, adding in some enemies, abilities and mechanics, but very much maintaining the essence that made it a cult hit in the first place. Its brutal and often unfair difficulty mean its really not going to be for everyone and the performance and bugs could present a real tipping point for those who are just about managing to keep pace. But for fans of the first, those who love dynamic action sequences and are ok with a little bit of tough love, you’re going to fall head over heels for this one.

PlayStation Universe - David Carcasole - 6 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 fails at being what it should be, a proper sequel. Instead, it ends up feeling much more like a 1.5, or a big DLC expansion, because of how little is changed or evolved from the first game. Where it does try to expand, it more often than not fails on the execution, and while the core combat is still just as insanely fun as it was the first time around, Ghostrunner 2's failings get in the way of that core experience so much that it drags down your whole experience.

Push Square - Jaimie Ditchfield - 6 / 10

Ghostrunner 2 has some fun moments, though it can often be difficult to see past a lot of the performance issues and inconsistent level design. When the game's at its best, slicing through a horde of enemies and jumping around like a ninja, it can be an exhilarating experience. However, it might be worth waiting for a patch to address a lot of the core issues present at launch.

Chicas Gamers - Antonio J. Rodríguez - Spanish - Unscored

One More Level returns to the world it created in Ghostrunner (2020) to deliver a product that improves on its predecessor in all aspects. With this philosophy that any mistake is penalized, they develop demanding gameplay that requires players to give their best to finish. Already in the first stages we will learn to live with the message of death, but thanks to its fast loading speed, it will not take long for us to be moving again, reducing frustration. In addition to the skills from the previous game, new ones are added that our protagonist will unlock throughout the adventure and that will allow us to advance through the mapping or successfully solve puzzles and combats. Because in the end everything acts like an accelerated puzzle where many decisions will have to be made in seconds.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

As a sequel, Ghostrunner 2 delivers an exciting and worthwhile entry by elevating the series to new heights.

Gaming Age - Matthew Pollesel - B+

The good news about Ghostrunner 2 is that if you liked the first game, then you’re pretty much guaranteed to like this one too, since it’s basically the same.

La Orden del Pixel - Darío Gadea - Spanish - Yes

Ghostrunner 2, the new release from One More Level, is a spectacular action adventure that tests our reflexes as we move at full speed through a cyberpunk world. With a duration of approximately 12 hours, this installment only needs a simple plot and a handful of new villains to offer an adventure that is strengthened with a couple of new mechanics and a simple but effective gameplay.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Ed Thorn - Unscored

If you're entirely composed of fast twitch muscle fibers and boundless patience, you'll love this first-person cyberpunk slasher. You probably won't otherwise.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghostrunner II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 26 October 2023) - reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghostrunner II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - reviews from OpenCritic posted