Anyone trying the Black Desert Beta??

eventide11

Is it just a console port of Black Desert Online?

BDO had amazing, best-in-class combat for an MMO that I wistfully think about any time I'm playing any game with inferior combat.

What it didn't have was a reason to actually play the game, sadly.

So uhh... what made you think it was an FFXIV clone? FFXIV has way worse combat than BDO (FFXIV's combat is fine, it's just... nothing compared to BDO) and far better visuals and an actual story. They're almost polar opposites in every way besides both being Asian MMOs.

Ugh, I hadn't thought about this game in a long time. The combat and class design were so good, but literally everything else in the game was confusing busywork. It kind of reminds me of Warframe but a lot more impenetrable.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I have tried getting into BDO a handful of times. I can't stand the hud/UI. And it feels like I am dumped into a game at the 50 hour mark of an 100 hour game with no clue to what's going on.

Pretty much this. The older I get the easier it is for me to snub a game almost immediately if I'm expected to go through menu after menu and if developers make things a little convoluted early on just for the sake of saying hey look how flashy and innovative our combat will be after suffering from hours of migraines from overly complicated modifiers etc etc. And be amazed at our progression trees and ridiculous levels of character customization. Guess those days have long since passed me by at 44 years old

54 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Pretty much this. The older I get the easier it is for me to snub a game almost immediately if I'm expected to go through menu after menu and if developers make things a little convoluted early on just for the sake of saying hey look how flashy and innovative our combat will be after suffering from hours of migraines from overly complicated modifiers etc etc. And be amazed at our progression trees and ridiculous levels of character customization. Guess those days have long since passed me by at 44 years old

This is how I feel about MMO's in general as I've gotten older. I always keep coming back to WoW because every time I try a new MMO I have to relearn crafting, character builds, rotations, etc. I just don't have the time and patience to learn those things again.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:06 PM, Nokt said:

This is how I feel about MMO's in general as I've gotten older. I always keep coming back to WoW because every time I try a new MMO I have to relearn crafting, character builds, rotations, etc. I just don't have the time and patience to learn those things again.

Guild wars 2 changed the UI at one point and reset all your characters so you had to respec them in their new UI and it honestly put me off that I had to do that after spending all this time researching/tweaking my builds.  I ended up only respec-ing one character and quit playing cause of it cause I barely had time to play MMOs already that I wasn't willing to spend time relearning a UI.