Wayfair employees walk out after company provides order of beds to border concentration camps

Hundreds of employees signed a letter to the CEO demanding that the company not furnish orders to the concentration camps used to house immigrants and children. The CEO responded by saying that they will continue to supply products to the camps, and will not donate the proceeds to charity.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2019/06/25/wayfair-employees-plan-walkout-oppose-furniture-sales-migrant-detention-facilities/STcUfJsDN4AXXls0PmJuhN/story.html

According to a Wayfair employee who asked not to be identified for fear of retribution, Wayfair employees learned last Wednesday that a $200,000 order of bedroom furniture had been placed by BCFS, a government contractor that has been managing camps at the border.

“We were disheartened and concerned about Wayfair’s business” with BCFS, the employee said, and so employees decided to act. Within hours, a group of 50 employees began drafting a letter to the company’s executive leadership, with included cofounders Niraj Shah, Steve Conine, and the entire board, outlining their concerns. More than 547 employees signed the letter before it was handed off to the leadership team.

Get Talking Points in your inboxAn afternoon recap of the day's most important business news, delivered Monday through Friday.

“Over the last two days it has come to our attention that Wayfair has again engaged in B2B sales with BCFS, a non-profit government contractor managing camps for migrants at our Southern border,” an excerpt from the letter said.

“This particular order, for over $200,000 worth of bedroom furniture, is destined for Carrizo Springs, Texas, to a facility that will be outfitted to detain up to 3,000 migrant children seeking legal asylum in the United States. The practice of detaining children and adults at our Southern border has been condemned since its inception but since the acceleration of the practice in 2018, and the increase in death and injury that has come with that acceleration, we have seen more vocal condemnation of the practice. We, the undersigned, are writing to you from a place of concern and anger about the atrocities being committed at our Southern border.”

Response from CEO:

D96jISTW4AETxe7.jpg

I understand the employees disgust, though I’m not sure what the solution is. Unlike something such as the companies who refuse to sell the components for lethal injections creating effectively a moratorium on executions in many states, the federal government will continue to detain these people and the refusal of businesses to sell their goods doesn’t seem to do anything but allow for worse conditions. I suppose you could say that you’re helping to force the governments hand, but this is a pretty high stakes game of chicken.

Did the employees say they would come back to work if Wayfair agreed to donate the proceeds to a particular relief org? That would be a reasonable balance to strike, I think.

*edit* the tweets and ceo response didn’t initially load, yeah, I think the walkout era are largely being reasonable though I would assume there are other orgs besides RAICES that would be agreeable even if Red Cross isn’t one of them.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

WHAT SHOULD THEY SLEEP ON THE COLD EARTH and other shit I am sure chuds are saying 

That's the go-to excuse but does anyone actually believe 200k in wayfair beds are going to be put under children or other detained migrants? No way.