Is this SSD worth it for my xbox1?

atom631

Sabrent Rocket Pro 1TB NVMe USB 3.1 External Aluminum SSD (SB-1TB-NVME) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N14MM96/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_s6F3CbZTANGDA

Saw this on slickdeals front page. with a coupon code, it comes down to 148. This seemed like a pretty good deal considering a sata SSD is around 110 and another 20ish for a decent enclosure. 

Im out of the loop on SSD technology so really NFI if this overkill or worthwhile. 

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

And it’s USB 3.1

Is that good, bad or just useless on an xbox?

also; about getting and internal SSD, I’m seeing super cheap ones for 95-100, but I don’t want to buy bottom of the barrel and worry about failures. Seems the mid range ones are around 110-120. So with adding an enclosure this isn’t far off. 

That is an extremely fast dive, but USB 3.1 will hold it back significantly because of the 10 Gb/s limit.  NVME (aka PCI-e x4) has a bandwidth up to 32 Gb/s.  Meanwhile a cheaper drive with a SATA internal interface can go up to 6 Gb/s.  And yeah, The X1X only has USB 3.0 which can go up to 5 Gb/s, so you wouldn't unlock the SSD's potential until the next gen comes along.

And concerning next gen, external drive speed may not even matter.  Sony has already spilled the beans that they will have some form of super fast internal SSD caching, and I fully expect Microsoft to do the same.  

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

oh it's an NVME, I doubt these consoles can even utilize that.

The problem would be how effective the external enclosure can convert the drive's internal NVME PCIe interface to a USB interface.  Basically how fast is that little chipset, because at the end of the day the device that is connected to it will only see the USB 3.1 interface, which is slower than NVME.

5 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

That is an extremely fast dive, but USB 3.1 will hold it back significantly because of the 10 Gb/s limit.  NVME (aka PCI-e x4) has a bandwidth up to 32 Gb/s.  Meanwhile a cheaper drive with a SATA internal interface can go up to 6 Gb/s.  And yeah, The X1X only has USB 3.0 which can go up to 5 Gb/s, so you wouldn't unlock the SSD's potential until the next gen comes along.

thanks. did a little research and discovered the same thing. I also discovered that the drive is removable, so I can always pull it out and put it in a PC or an updated enclosure down the road. Hopefully nextgen consoles will use at least USB 3.1, so i would be set. 

i bit the bullet and ordered it. seems like these  drives are getting great reviews and the enclosure is one of the top rated (sells for $50 alone).  

5 hours ago, atom631 said:

Is that good, bad or just useless on an xbox?

also; about getting and internal SSD, I’m seeing super cheap ones for 95-100, but I don’t want to buy bottom of the barrel and worry about failures. Seems the mid range ones are around 110-120. So with adding an enclosure this isn’t far off. 

What brands do you think are bottom of the barrel? The Xbone has a USB3.0 port, not 3.1

2 minutes ago, atom631 said:

thanks. did a little research and discovered the same thing. I also discovered that the drive is removable, so I can always pull it out and put it in a PC or an updated enclosure down the road. Hopefully nextgen consoles will use at least USB 3.1, so i would be set. 

i bit the bullet and ordered it. seems like these  drives are getting great reviews and the enclosure is one of the top rated (sells for $50 alone).  

Fairly sensible.  I just actually did research on that particularly drive because I almost bought it myself (the drive alone without the enclosure).  But I don't have a PC that can use it, so I decided to wait on an SSD purchase because prices have literally dropped every week for the last two months, and it'll be at least another few months before I build a new PC.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

What brands do you think are bottom of the barrel? The Xbone has a USB3.0 port, not 3.1

not brand specifically - but from the brief research i did - there are certain chipsets that have a high failure rate (dont remember which, just know this one supposedly has a great chipset). 

also the enclosure is backwards compatible with usb 3.0

42 minutes ago, atom631 said:

not brand specifically - but from the brief research i did - there are certain chipsets that have a high failure rate (dont remember which, just know this one supposedly has a great chipset). 

The ADATA SU800, for example, uses the same chipset and plating as the Crucial MX500 series. Same reliability. I’m not sure which ones you looked at or where exactly you’re reading this info, though.

also the enclosure is backwards compatible with usb 3.0

Yes, all USB is backwards compatible. However, you’re not able to use the increase in bandwidth/speed.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The ADATA SU800, for example, uses the same chipset and plating as the Crucial MX500 series. Same reliability. I’m not sure which ones you looked at or where exactly you’re reading this info, though.

Yes, all USB is backwards compatible. However, you’re not able to use the increase in bandwidth/speed.

If you are inclined, go to slickdeals and search 1TB SSD and just read the threads. There are some very informative people that explain why a particular drive is so cheap (sub-optimal chipset, dramless, poor warranty). Seems there’s quite a few cheap drives to be careful of, even from reputable brands. This particular drive and company seems to be well-reviewed. 

Between my OP and today, I’ve read up and you’re right, this drive is absolute overkill for X1X. But I’m future-proofed for a while and could always convert to an internal drive for a new pc. When I did the math, even with an mx500 at $105 and a good enclosure at $20...for the $25 bux extra this cost me, it seemed like a worthwhile investment.  

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

If you are inclined, go to slickdeals and search 1TB SSD and just read the threads. There are some very informative people that explain why a particular drive is so cheap (sub-optimal chipset, dramless, poor warranty). Seems there’s quite a few cheap drives to be careful of, even from reputable brands. This particular drive and company seems to be well-reviewed. 

Erm, uh, no. Slickdeals comment sections is not where you go to hear from "very informative people".

Warranties:

ADATA SU800 - 3 years

Crucial MX500 - 3 years

Samsung QV and EVO series - 3 years

Samsung Pro series - 5 years

Controller (I assume this is what you mean by "chipset"):

ADATA SU800 - SM2258

Crucial MX500 - SM2258

DRAM-less? No. The ADATA SU800 uses SLC caching which is a new(er) technology, combined with LPDDR3.

Endurance at 1tb:

ADATA SU800 - 400 TBW

MX500 - 360 TBW

Allow me to put this in the simplest of terms: the MX500 and SU800 are using the same plating from the same seller, just like with RAM, none of these companies actually make their own, they buy it, put it together with various other parts from various other companies and stick their labels on it. The biggest difference between the two is the NAND structure which translates into faster sequential read/write speeds on the MX500 and slightly faster write speeds with their read speeds being equal. What does this actually mean? It means that the SU800 shouldn't be purchased as a boot drive, it is best as a storage and gaming drive where the difference in sequential read/write speeds and write speeds will make absolutely no difference. With gaming, you will see absolutely no performance increase between an SU800, MX500 or one of the various Samsung SSDs as they are all hitting very similar, if not the same, read speeds. This isn't an in-house Microcenter brand like Inland which actually does have issues (overheats and has a terrible read speeds).

Between my OP and today, I’ve read up and you’re right, this drive is absolute overkill for X1X. But I’m future-proofed for a while and could always convert to an internal drive for a new pc. When I did the math, even with an mx500 at $105 and a good enclosure at $20...for the $25 bux extra this cost me, it seemed like a worthwhile investment.  

Enclosures can be had for under $10 for SATA drives: https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-USB3-0-External-Enclosure-Supported/dp/B01M08LCXW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=sata+ssd+enclosure+usb+3&qid=1558142562&s=gateway&sr=8-5 and under $13 for M.2 https://www.amazon.com/ELUTENG-Enclosure-External-Superspeed-Compatible/dp/B07H95GRSQ/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2Q9OOKXA4TWMB&keywords=m.2+to+usb+3.0+adapter&qid=1558142686&s=gateway&sprefix=m.2+to+usb+3%2Celectronics%2C143&sr=8-13

By the time the next Xbox and PS5 come out USB 3.1 cases and 1tb SSDs will be much cheaper than $170.

It's fine to be happy with your purchase, but let's not spread misinformation.

57 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Erm, uh, no. Slickdeals comment sections is not where you go to hear from "very informative people".

Warranties:

ADATA SU800 - 3 years

Crucial MX500 - 3 years

Samsung QV and EVO series - 3 years

Samsung Pro series - 5 years

Controller (I assume this is what you mean by "chipset"):

ADATA SU800 - SM2258

Crucial MX500 - SM2258

DRAM-less? No. The ADATA SU800 uses SLC caching which is a new(er) technology, combined with LPDDR3.

Endurance at 1tb:

ADATA SU800 - 400 TBW

MX500 - 360 TBW

Allow me to put this in the simplest of terms: the MX500 and SU800 are using the same plating from the same seller, just like with RAM, none of these companies actually make their own, they buy it, put it together with various other parts from various other companies and stick their labels on it. The biggest difference between the two is the NAND structure which translates into faster sequential read/write speeds on the MX500 and slightly faster write speeds with their read speeds being equal. What does this actually mean? It means that the SU800 shouldn't be purchased as a boot drive, it is best as a storage and gaming drive where the difference in sequential read/write speeds and write speeds will make absolutely no difference. With gaming, you will see absolutely no performance increase between an SU800, MX500 or one of the various Samsung SSDs as they are all hitting very similar, if not the same, read speeds. This isn't an in-house Microcenter brand like Inland which actually does have issues (overheats and has a terrible read speeds).

Enclosures can be had for under $10 for SATA drives: https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-USB3-0-External-Enclosure-Supported/dp/B01M08LCXW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=sata+ssd+enclosure+usb+3&qid=1558142562&s=gateway&sr=8-5 and under $13 for M.2 https://www.amazon.com/ELUTENG-Enclosure-External-Superspeed-Compatible/dp/B07H95GRSQ/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2Q9OOKXA4TWMB&keywords=m.2+to+usb+3.0+adapter&qid=1558142686&s=gateway&sprefix=m.2+to+usb+3%2Celectronics%2C143&sr=8-13

By the time the next Xbox and PS5 come out USB 3.1 cases and 1tb SSDs will be much cheaper than $170.

It's fine to be happy with your purchase, but let's not spread misinformation.

Thanks. Although I never said the mx500 was a bad drive, I understood that to be a good drive, I just haven’t seen it on sale cheaper than around  $105-$110from a reputable seller, at least not while I’ve been watching.  

Also, i wouldn't dismiss everyone on slickdeals as being ignorant. There are definitely lots of knowledgeable people on there. I learned a ton about a/v equipment and TVs there. When I had deeper questions I moved to avsforum and the home theatre subreddit. Again, I never mentioned brand names, but I do remember inland (as you mentioned) being one to stay away from, certain intel drives, xfg for warranty issues, and the lower model sandatas. As for the enclosures, I was going off ones that seemed to come up consistently as recommendations... there were in the ~$15 range for sata and ~$20 range for m.2. 

Oddly enough, the adata drive you mentioned was posted to slickdeals for 85 bux just 2 hrs ago. Weird i didn’t get an notice for it since i had “1tb SSD” setup as a deal alert. So i picked it up and the enclosure you mentioned. Total was 100 even w/tax. That’s a significant enough savings for me to return the other one (which was 148, Not sure where you got 170 from).  

On 5/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, atom631 said:

Thanks. Although I never said the mx500 was a bad drive, I understood that to be a good drive, I just haven’t seen it on sale cheaper than around  $105-$110from a reputable seller, at least not while I’ve been watching.  

I was speaking of the ADATA SU800 not being bad and detailing why it's not a bottom-tier drive even though it's "cheap" - the MX500 is considered to be one of the best out there and I was using that as a standard. :p 

Also, i wouldn't dismiss everyone on slickdeals as being ignorant. There are definitely lots of knowledgeable people on there. I learned a ton about a/v equipment and TVs there. When I had deeper questions I moved to avsforum and the home theatre subreddit. Again, I never mentioned brand names, but I do remember inland (as you mentioned) being one to stay away from, certain intel drives, xfg for warranty issues, and the lower model sandatas. As for the enclosures, I was going off ones that seemed to come up consistently as recommendations... there were in the ~$15 range for sata and ~$20 range for m.2. 

Not "everyone", but certainly the majority of people on the comment sections on there are just people looking for a deal and not ones to be taken seriously in regards to info. Those Inland drives are :sick:. The low-end Intel drives certainly aren't great, but the new 660p is a fantastic drive for storage, especially at the price - the issue is it's using a different tech for the plating/the way in which it stores the data (think tighter spacing between "lines" of memory to fit more on less (simplest way to put it)) which may affect the longevity of the lifespan of the drive.

Oddly enough, the adata drive you mentioned was posted to slickdeals for 85 bux just 2 hrs ago. Weird i didn’t get an notice for it since i had “1tb SSD” setup as a deal alert. So i picked it up and the enclosure you mentioned. Total was 100 even w/tax. That’s a significant enough savings for me to return the other one (which was 148, Not sure where you got 170 from).  

Yep, that's a common sale price for the ADATA at 1tb and is why I was pushing for it! I got my 2tb SU800 for $185 shipped. The $170 I got was the non-sale price, I guess. :p 

That external SSD seems to be using a rebranded MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro, which is an "okay" but overpriced drive. It seems to have a very long TDW (expected lifespan), but the pricing of it seems to be "meh", and its performance seems to consistently fall short of the ADATA XPG M.2 series as well as the Samsung Pro series (extremely short in regards to the ADATA XPG). Also, it looks like for whatever reason that Sabrent cuts the warranty short to 3-years on the rebranded M.2 whereas the actual MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro has a 5-year warranty...? But, seriously, for gaming puporses, there's not going to be much noticeable difference between an M.2 vs a good SATA III SSD, and likely no difference when running through USB 3.0. :santasun: