House passes bill to restore 'net neutrality' rules

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/house-passes-bill-restore-net-neutrality-rules-62302658

The House has passed bill Wednesday to restore Obama-era "net neutrality" rules, but the legislation faces slim odds of making it through the Republican-controlled Senate.

The Save the Internet Act passed the Democrat-controlled House 232-190 Wednesday, with only one Republican vote in favor. But top Senate Republican Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that net neutrality is "dead on arrival in the Senate." The Trump administration also opposes the bill. Still, the effort to restore net neutrality could give Democrats political points on consumer protections.

The 2015 net neutrality regulations barred internet service providers like Comcast, Verizon and AT&T from blocking or slowing online traffic or from charging companies for faster lanes for consumers. They were highly partisan in Washington and came after a decade of telecom-industry resistance.

They were upheld by a federal appeals court, but the Federal Communications Commission scrapped the rules after the Trump administration installed a Republican majority there. That meant there was nothing stopping ISPs from interfering with internet traffic so long as they disclosed it.

Even more important to shake up the Senate and White House in 2020 considering the opposition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

It's going to die in the Senate, it won't make it to the president, sadly. :/ 

I mean, maybe I am wrong, but in the video, doesn't Bill say that even if everyone says yes to the bill, the president can still say no? That was why I posted it. Because even if everyone still says yes, trump will still stay no. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I mean, maybe I am wrong, but in the video, doesn't Bill say that even if everyone says yes to the bill, the president can still say no? That was why I posted it. Because even if everyone still says yes, trump will still stay no. 

You're not wrong with that. It's just unlikely to make it to the president for Trump to veto.