Best uhd movies to show off 4k and HDR?

What I am a huge fan of, is that Apple has upgraded all of the digital titles I owned to 4K HDR as that version has become available. Plus you pay the same for the 4K version as the standard HD version. That is worthy of consumer support. 

On the flip side, in Canada there is only one UltraViolet provider left - Flixster Video. And at that, there are no apps that allow me to play those movies on my TV, only on my phone or tablet. I can mirror my phone screen on the Apple TV, but that is pretty low-Rez. 

CinemaNow also used to work in Canada, but they have ceased and the existing Xbox 360 app no longer works. I have several (21!) UltraViolet copies of movies that Flixster Video will not play back. “playback unavailable”. 

Physical media I own isn’t going to suddenly stop working like these digital copies have. 

Is Apple TV Gen 5 (4k) worth its high price tag if I already have an XboneX? I know the Apple TV does Dolby Digital AND HDR10 while the XboneX only does HDR10, but I really don't want to spend another $150-200 for a streaming device :p 

I'm pretty sure that the XboneX supports 4k YouTube (HDR?), 4k HDR Netflix and 4k HDR Amazon Video (and possibly 4k/HDR Hulu...?).

50 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is Apple TV Gen 5 (4k) worth its high price tag if I already have an XboneX? I know the Apple TV does Dolby Digital AND HDR10 while the XboneX only does HDR10, but I really don't want to spend another $150-200 for a streaming device :p 

I'm pretty sure that the XboneX supports 4k YouTube (HDR?), 4k HDR Netflix and 4k HDR Amazon Video (and possibly 4k/HDR Hulu...?).

*Dolby Vision

The worthy of the Apple TV depends largely on your investment in the Apple ecosystem. 

As there are 6 people in my house with iPhones, iPods and iPads it is worthwhile for the integration in airplay and screen mirroring

Its also worth it for me in that I have around 200 iTunes digital movies and around 70 of them, so far, have received a free upgrade to 4K HDR even though I originally only got the HD version with a standard Blu Ray purchase. That alone justified the purchase for me. 

If yiu do get an Apple TV, be sure to enable the “Match Content” settings since they are turned off by default and they are super important for anything that isn’t natively in HDR or Dolby Vision as well as 24fps playback on movies. Without those settings turned on, the Apple TV will convert everything to Dolby Vision and make SDR content look horrible. It will also cause telecine judder on 24fps movies. 

Now, keep in mind that your TVs built in apps are the best way to watch things like Netflix and YouTube anyway, so you don’t need to use an Apple TV OR an Xbox app. 

1 hour ago, nacthenud said:

*Dolby Vision

The worthy of the Apple TV depends largely on your investment in the Apple ecosystem. 

As there are 6 people in my house with iPhones, iPods and iPads it is worthwhile for the integration in airplay and screen mirroring

Its also worth it for me in that I have around 200 iTunes digital movies and around 70 of them, so far, have received a free upgrade to 4K HDR even though I originally only got the HD version with a standard Blu Ray purchase. That alone justified the purchase for me. 

If yiu do get an Apple TV, be sure to enable the “Match Content” settings since they are turned off by default and they are super important for anything that isn’t natively in HDR or Dolby Vision as well as 24fps playback on movies. Without those settings turned on, the Apple TV will convert everything to Dolby Vision and make SDR content look horrible. It will also cause telecine judder on 24fps movies. 

Now, keep in mind that your TVs built in apps are the best way to watch things like Netflix and YouTube anyway, so you don’t need to use an Apple TV OR an Xbox app. 

Yea, meant Dolby Vision, no idea why I wrote Digital :p 

I’d rather not use the built-in aps since HDMI Arc sucks wieners on AVRs and I’d have to use optical audio and lose the AVR overlay :/. Are the built-in apps on the LG B7A really that much better than using my XboneX?

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, meant Dolby Vision, no idea why I wrote Digital :p 

I’d rather not use the built-in aps since HDMI Arc sucks wieners on AVRs and I’d have to use optical audio and lose the AVR overlay :/. Are the built-in apps on the LG B7A really that much better than using my XboneX?

Last I checked the YouTube App on the Xbox didn’t support HDR. And the Xbox’s Netflix App forces everything to be in HDR even when it isn’t supposed to be, which makes SDR content look like crap. 

11 hours ago, nacthenud said:

Last I checked the YouTube App on the Xbox didn’t support HDR. And the Xbox’s Netflix App forces everything to be in HDR even when it isn’t supposed to be, which makes SDR content look like crap. 

Hmm, wasn’t aware of that. I checked about YouTube, and MS has HDR support listed as “coming soon”... for almost a year. :/ 

Do you have any experience with the Die Hard 4k release? It’s gotten good reviews.

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hmm, wasn’t aware of that. I checked about YouTube, and MS has HDR support listed as “coming soon”... for almost a year. :/ 

Do you have any experience with the Die Hard 4k release? It’s gotten good reviews.

I don't have it, but from what I've heard:

• Appreciable increase in fine detail, though the blu ray already looks good
  • Blu ray had some slightly washed out black levels and that is improved on the 4K UHD
  • Some of the green screen work is a bit more obvious
  • HDR is not groundbreaking, but appreciable pop when their needs to be
  • The audio does not have a Dolby Atmos or DTS-X mix - just a Dolby 5.1 MA mix, so no step up from the standard Blu Ray

Certainly the best way to watch the movie, but not a slam dunk upgrade if you already have the Blu Ray.

4 minutes ago, nacthenud said:

I don't have it, but from what I've heard:

• Appreciable increase in fine detail, though the blu ray already looks good
  • Blu ray had some slightly washed out black levels and that is improved on the 4K UHD
  • Some of the green screen work is a bit more obvious
  • HDR is not groundbreaking, but appreciable pop when their needs to be
  • The audio does not have a Dolby Atmos or DTS-X mix - just a Dolby 5.1 MA mix, so no step up from the standard Blu Ray

Certainly the best way to watch the movie, but not a slam dunk upgrade if you already have the Blu Ray.

I don’t have Atmos nor do I plan on doing it, just a 7.1 set-up so it sounds like it’s worth the $14 bucks shipped for a used copy on eBay since I only have an old DVD copy, a VHS copy and an HD digital copy... :D 

45 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Are there any 4k movies released in digital format?  I've been looking through amazon but can't find any.  

Lol should have read the second page of the thread, post above mine asking basically the same thing.

Yes, but I believe you have to purchase them. I know Apple has 4k available via AppleTV Gen 5 - I'm curious about renting as there are a lot of movies I certainly know I'll only watch once :p 

EDIT: Okay, Amazon has a handful of 4k/HDR movies available for streaming. Vudu seems like the best option in regards to renting, but it's $10 per rental for 4k which is bleh considering most UHD movies are $20.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, but I believe you have to purchase them. I know Apple has 4k available via AppleTV Gen 5 - I'm curious about renting as there are a lot of movies I certainly know I'll only watch once :p 

EDIT: Okay, Amazon has a handful of 4k/HDR movies available for streaming. Vudu seems like the best option in regards to renting, but it's $10 per rental for 4k which is bleh considering most UHD movies are $20.

I was hoping they had a bunch. I really have no desire to buy a UHD player with the new systems dropping in a year and a half or so. But if amazon or whoever had a good selection of UHD movies to buy digitally I’d be all over that for now. 

I absolutely love my Apple TV 4K. I’ve had the firestick, Roku, Native apps...but the Apple TV is just so much faster and overall more fluid. I love their “TV” app that is like an aggregate app of all the things you watch on the device. 

If you’re  in the Apple ecosystem it’s definitely worth it. 

DirectTVnow had a promotion (possibly still going on) where if you pre-paid for 3 months of service you got an Apple TV 4K for free. Total was $105  shipped and you got to try DTVnow. Well worth the purchase. 

Also, there are websites, eBay and google hangouts where people sell digital codes dirt cheap. For instance, my last purchase was Arrival, Cabin In the Woods and Martian .... all 4K DV and I paid $10bux for all 3. More often than not, you can snag a code cheaper or only $1-2 more than renting. 

@Spork3245 After looking around for a few days it doesn't seem like there's really a prime option for Renting.  Vudu def seems the best but like you said, it's expensive.  Overall for 4k movies it seems iTunes and Vudu are both great with iTunes having the drawback that you have to be tied into their universe.  

10 hours ago, _BJ_ said:

Curious where you guys shop for codes?  I check uvdigitalnow frequently and dvd talk bargain boards.  Sometimes there’s some good deals but nothing as good as that 3 for $10 deal posted above. 

Hdmoviecodes.com is another good site. 

But the best is right here: 

https://plus.google.com/communities/106877428277523568176?iem=1

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

@Spork3245 After looking around for a few days it doesn't seem like there's really a prime option for Renting.  Vudu def seems the best but like you said, it's expensive.  Overall for 4k movies it seems iTunes and Vudu are both great with iTunes having the drawback that you have to be tied into their universe.  

It depends on the movie studio. Apple participates in movies anywhere, so the majority of your purchases will port over to vudu or google play, amazon, etc. 

I think paramount and lions gate don’t participate. There might be some others. So if you purchase a movie from one of those studios on any streaming platform, you’re locked to it. 

13 hours ago, _BJ_ said:

Curious where you guys shop for codes?  I check uvdigitalnow frequently and dvd talk bargain boards.  Sometimes there’s some good deals but nothing as good as that 3 for $10 deal posted above. 

I've used this site a few times:

https://www.digitalcodes4sale.com/

Often there are movies there I pick up for $2 or $3, which is about as high as I'll typically go for a digital only copy of a movie.

They have a nice Canadian sub-section for those of us who live up north.  I had one time where a code from there gave me an error as having been previously redeemed, but, I sent them a screenshot and their customer service got me a working code VERY quickly with no hassle or hoops.  

• Thanks 1

The Hitman's Bodyguard - There was surprisingly more opportunity for eye-catching HDR than I expected.  There are some very colourful scenes in the movie that make good use of the tech.  Glad I opted for the UHD Blu-ray on this one, where I wasn't sure it would be worth it.

Tomb Raider (2018) - Oh my, there is some excellent, excellent HDR use in this film.  Specular highlights abound.  Light sources, flame, etc. just jump off the screen with lifelike realism.  Very nice UHD.  Popping in the standard blu-ray for comparison, everything just looks so drab after watching the HDR version.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) - Everything looks nice.  Not as crisp as some catalogue releases. Noticeable film grain throughout. They did not push the HDR specular highlights in any meaningful way.  Light sources and fire do not pop.  There was one scene near the end that made me squint a little, but other than that I feel like this was a very reserved implementation of HDR.  If there is one meaningful improvement from the standard blu-ray it is in black levels.  Inkier blacks, while also showing better detail and shade differentiation. There are some visual effects in this film that are painfully obviously visual effects.  The added resolution and crispness just make these effects look so bad.  Fortunately it was not a frequent issue, but when it does happen.... wow...

The Greatest Showman - Well, this has many eye-popping scenes that will make you appreciate HDR tech.  The colours are vibrant.  The light sources pop.  The fire is so vivid.  There are sparkles all around.  It's a grand old time for your eyes.  Threw in the standard blu ray right after to compare and nope.  No thank you.  HDR version is dramatically better.

I greatly enjoyed my rental of "Game Night" in UHD Dolby Vision. It doesn't have a lot of "OMG" scenes, but low-lighting in the movie definitely shows the capable differences in the way the actors are lit in scenes in regards to fade and shadows... Plus, OMFG is that movie funny. :lol: 

BTW, @Mercury33 , I'm guessing the rental info I found prior in this thread is outdated as UHD rentals on Vudu are the same price as HD; just $5.99 for new movies in 4k Dolby Vision, and some are cheaper (ie: Thor Ragnarok is just $2.99 right now in UHD DV). :sun: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

So I have been looking into UHD BLu-rays and many 4k Blu-rays are upscaled to 4k. BUt the HDR is real. I found a site that says wether they are real or Fake 4k.

http://realorfake4k.com

My problem with this website is that there are many instances where you have the image derived from a 2K digital intermediate where it looks better than another movie where the image was derived from a 4K digital intermediate.  Sometimes movies with a 4K DI are just softer looking because of the source film or the way it was shot.  You really, really , really can't use this site's "Real 4K" or "Fake 4K" as any kind of indication of picture quality.

47 minutes ago, nacthenud said:

My problem with this website is that there are many instances where you have the image derived from a 2K digital intermediate where it looks better than another movie where the image was derived from a 4K digital intermediate.  Sometimes movies with a 4K DI are just softer looking because of the source film or the way it was shot.  You really, really , really can't use this site's "Real 4K" or "Fake 4K" as any kind of indication of picture quality.

The term "fake" has a much harsher connotation than this site should be using as in the description it does tell you whether or not it looks good too.

For example, it lists Disney's Coco as "Fake 4k" BUT states:

It is not real 4K in any material way due to the animation being rendered in 2K.  Studios have upscaled the 2K image to 4K for your 4K UHD TV.  You should see some visual improvement over a standard 1080p Blu-ray.  Animated CG movies scale up very well and can look like Real 4K.

And for Thor: Ragnarok:

It is not real 4K in any material way due to having a final master at 2K.  Studios have upscaled the 2K image to 4K and retouched the content for your 4K UHD TV.  You should see some visual improvement over a standard 1080p Blu-ray.

So, it does at least state whether or not the "fake 4k" is still a good/worthwhile transfer. I just think that "fake" is a more offputting term than they should be using.

Boss Baby - While this is a razor sharp image with fantastic colour, the one thing working against it is that it is only a very marginal improvement over a very very competent standard blu ray disc.  They do not really push the HDR to pop out specular highlights, of which there are many opportunities.  Far from being a bad looking transfer, and still the best way to watch the movie, you're really not missing much if you just get the 1080p disc.

Blade Runner 2049 - I finally got around to watching this.  What a pristine transfer of a film where every scene features absolutely amazing cinematography.  This movie just drips with vivid colour.  WCG is put to good use in avoiding any banding in colour gradients. Shadow detail is phenomenal.  Spectral highlights pop.  This is a jaw-dropping movie.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Huh. I was legitimately disappointed in Ready Player One, though, it could be because I watched it in HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision...?

I would not expect so.  In almost every instance the difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision is nominal, where Dolby Vision cranks things up just a hair better than the HDR10.  Were you watching it off a disc or streaming?

17 minutes ago, nacthenud said:

I would not expect so.  In almost every instance the difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision is nominal, where Dolby Vision cranks things up just a hair better than the HDR10.  Were you watching it off a disc or streaming?

Stream. Same place I watched Game Night.

May just be a not-so-great HDR movie. :/ 

19 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Huh. I was legitimately disappointed in Ready Player One, though, it could be because I watched it in HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision...?

I wonder if it’s because of the compression from the stream. Anecdotally speaking when I watched BR2049 on disk vs stream , the stream seemed less impressive but that could be my personal bias coming through.

John Wick 2 - well, this was way more impressive than I expected.  I'd heard it had some really nice scenes, but I didn't realize how many opportunities for nice HDR would present themselves through the movie.  I expected it to be more about shadow detail - which is excellent - but there are lots of neon lights and light sources and shiny things throughout.  Everything looks crisp and sharp.  A very nice 4K UHD disc!

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2018 at 9:23 PM, Mercury33 said:

Ready Player One is awesome in UHD. Not sure if it’s intentional but it’s oretty average when they’re in the real world then eye popping gorgeous when they’re in the Oasis. 

Cant wait to see this. I missed it in the movies and had recently finished reading the book. Im waiting to watch it on UHD-BR to get the best audio/video experience from it. Its painful to hold out as Ive seen UHD codes floating around already for 8-10 bux.