GM says U.S. import tariffs could mean 'smaller' company, fewer jobs

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-autos/gm-warns-u-s-import-tariffs-could-lead-to-smaller-company-idUSKBN1JP2PZ

The administration in May launched an investigation into whether imported vehicles pose a national security threat, and U.S. President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to impose a 20 percent vehicle import tariff.

The largest U.S. automaker said in comments filed with the U.S. Commerce Department that overly broad tariffs could “lead to a smaller GM, a reduced presence at home and abroad for this iconic American company, and risk less — not more — U.S. jobs.”

Higher tariffs could also hike vehicle prices and reduce sales, GM said.

Its comments echoed those from two major U.S. auto trade groups on Wednesday, when they warned that tariffs of up to 25 percent on imported vehicles would cost hundreds of thousands of auto jobs, dramatically raise prices on vehicles and threaten industry spending on self-driving cars.

10 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I've had good experiences with Kia so far.

I can also vouch for Kia. When I was car shopping a couple years ago Ford and GM's car offerings were pretty weak compared to Korean and Japanese manufacturers. They also surprisingly had less leg and head room than Japanese and Korean cars.