Arizona Democratic governor signs bill repealing 1864 abortion ban

The Republican running for Senate, Kari Lake, supported the Civil War-era law. Just a friendly reminder.

The Democratic governor signed the bill one day after it passed the GOP-held Senate, where two Republicans joined with all 14 Democrats in the chamber to advance the measure. The hourslong debate over the bill grew contentious as Republicans blasted the two defectors and railed against Democrats and a potential fall ballot initiative that would enshrine abortion rights into the state constitution.

At a signing ceremony Thursday, Hobbs and other Democratic leaders framed the repeal as the first step in a larger struggle over reproductive rights.

“Today, we should not rest,” the governor said. “We should recommit to protecting women’s bodily autonomy, their ability to make their own health care decisions and the ability to control their lives.”

HOWEVER:

The Arizona Supreme Court’s April 9 ruling, which found that the state had to adhere to the century-old law, was not going to be enforceable until June 27 at the earliest, according to Arizona’s Democratic attorney general, Kris Mayes.

Meanwhile, the repeal measure will not take effect until 90 days after the Arizona Legislature adjourns later this year, meaning the Civil War-era abortion ban could come into effect for some time.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I believe the AG has already said that they wouldn’t would prosecute anyone under the civil war era law. I think that was before the repeal but I would hope would also be the same for this bullshit

16 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I believe the AG has already said that they wouldn’t would prosecute anyone under the civil war era law. I think that was before the repeal but I would hope would also be the same for this bullshit

Local DAs would have full discretion to prosecute it though.

• Guillotine 1