How Realtors are compensated has changed

WWW.CNN.COM

The way Americans buy and sell homes is about to get turned on its head.

This is super interesting. I think the good realtors, the ones who have a team for repairs, do staging and photos are gonna probably go up in price or stay level while the hobbyists who take photos with their phones and don't do open houses will probably drop out as their prices aren't competitive. 

6% is nuts. It’s 5% here in Toronto which is split between the realtor and buyers agent. When even a 1 bedroom condo is going for 700k+ it’s an absurd amount of money. Some buying agents will even make you sign in their contract that you’ll pay the difference if the seller doesn’t give them their 2.5%. -.-

I disagree, I made $350,000 on my first place and another 200,000 on my second place. The first place I lived in for 4 years the second place for two years. The houses that didn't have staging, didn't have professional photos, and didn't have open houses stayed on the market much longer and mine sold within 2 weeks or so. There are crappy Realtors out there, the ones that won't do the open houses, photos, staging, or any marketing.

Here's the other crazy part, both of these places were condos. I've seen some condo hate on this forum and you guys are just completely wrong. It's about the right place, and the right neighborhood. That's $550,000 tax free in about 6 years.

The only reason I was able to get a great house in a great area was due to the fact the owner decided to sell himself. He didn’t advertise the sale minus a sign on the yard. We saw and called. He had no other interested parties. It was a quick and easy negotiation since he had a double mortgage and wanted out. 

5 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Our neighbor who's a Buyer Agent for the most part is worried she isn't going to be paid now. 

I wonder if buying just becomes more expensive. Or if you only go to realtors who are selling the house you're wanting to buy, a conflict of interest for sure! 

I have heard from a realtor that when the buyers agent fee is less than 2.5% then buyers agents just don't show those places because it's not in their interest. So those houses end up selling for less/sit on the market longer since there's no incentive to show it. 

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

I wonder if buying just becomes more expensive. Or if you only go to realtors who are selling the house you're wanting to buy, a conflict of interest for sure! 

My parents did dual agent selling their house, absolute nightmare when an inspection issue came up and had to be negotiated. They didn't feel like they had a realtor advocating and advising them at that point. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Jwheel86 said:

My parents did dual agent selling their house, absolute nightmare when an inspection issue came up and had to be negotiated. They didn't feel like they had a realtor advocating and advising them at that point. 

We did it with our second place but the person was a real pro. It also gave us a discount from 6% to 4.5% The person who bought it happened to stop by during an open house. 

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Here's the other crazy part, both of these places were condos. I've seen some condo hate on this forum and you guys are just completely wrong. It's about the right place, and the right neighborhood. That's $550,000 tax free in about 6 years.

No condo hate from me. I love my 2bdr condo in DT Toronto. My building is a bit older but is well maintained and because of that the floor space is huge (1350 sqf). I feel like I would die of depression if I had to move out to the suburbs. I just personally feel the price of housing/condo here in Canada/Toronto is ridiculous (the houses near me are all 3mil+ starting).

• Halal 1