No reduction in accidents from self-driving cars, insurance institute says

WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Tesla's TSLA.O Autopilot and Full Self Driving technology and nine other assisted-driving systems marketed by major automakers received "poor" ratings from the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in a new study released on Tuesday.

Tesla's TSLA.O Autopilot and Full Self Driving technology and nine other assisted-driving systems marketed by major automakers received "poor" ratings from the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in a new study released on Tuesday.

The IIHS, a safety research arm of the insurance industry, also said there is no evidence that Autopilot or other assisted-driving systems have real-world safety benefits, based on crash data.

"We are able to look at insurance claims data. We have been able to look at vehicles with and without these (systems) and determine there is no reduction in claims as a result of these more advanced systems," IIHS President David Harkey told Reuters.

Federal regulators are investigating nearly 1,000 accidents in which Tesla's Autopilot was in use. A civil case scheduled to go to trial next week in California will be the latest test of Tesla's strategy of blaming crashes on drivers who fail to heed the EV maker's warnings to pay attention to the road when Autopilot or Full Self Driving technology are engaged.

Some of those warnings from Autopilot occurred under one second before crashes, of course.

I’m sure it’s been said plenty by now, but cars either need to be completely self driving or not at all. This autopilot that still wants your 100% attention is just leading to poor decision making as the driver puts too much trust into something they shouldn’t.

• Halal 2

3 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I’m sure it’s been said plenty by now, but cars either need to be completely self driving or not at all. This autopilot that still wants your 100% attention is just leading to poor decision making as the driver puts too much trust into something they shouldn’t.

Don't blame the drivers, humans are simply not wired to give their full attention for hours at a time to an activity that requires zero active input from them. Level 2 is fine, level 5 is fine, levels 3 and 4 are inherently unsafe. 

A big problem with autopilot is that the average person thinks it’s either the only self driving tech out there, or “the best” of the ones that are out there. Both are equally untrue. Hyundai/Kia/Genesis has one of the best out there for the “hands on wheel” systems with their HDA2 system, Blue Cruise and Super Cruise both shit on auto pilot in terms of lane/road recognition (and that’s with them only available on highways), and Mercedes system is basically auto-pilot that doesn’t get confused as easily.

That being said, I don’t trust any of them beyond being an “assist” for long drives on the turnpike.

I sort of have the auto pilot on my ‘22 Bronco Sport. Use it on the more empty 407 toll highway when I take my mom to see my brother and his family. It’s handy but I don’t trust it to drive me from A to B on its own. A few times with the rain the auto assist would briefly disengaged its purpose for 2-3 secs before connecting again. It keeps you in the lane, turns the wheel to follow the lines and with adjustable cruise control. My hands never leave the wheel and if you try for like say 3-5 secs without, it will warn you to put your hands back on the wheel. 

I don’t believe the tech is there yet for these self driving modes to make decisions as well as a person can. Driving aids are great for empowering drivers to make better and more informed decisions. And the reason I say the tech isnt ready, because there will still be human idiots driving around.